First cruise

Lisa7150

I'm going to be taking my first cruise in the spring. Where I wanted to go. For my comfort. They think it's stupid. I hate boats iv. Been lately going on trips. Day The New England. Canada doesn't bring you back. So that is out. Now. I live in New England. But I thought that being my first cruise should be to where I'm comfortable so I guess I'm stuck going where they want. I need a lot of advice on ships and what to do on them. My son is 22 I want a cabin that has a window. But not a little port hole

You are going to have to rethink your destination or your schedule. There are no cruises to New England in the Spring. Cruises from Boston go to Bermuda. Cruises from New York go to Bermuda and the Bahamas. The first NE cruises from NYC are early June. Cruises from Boston in mid-May. Yes, I guess that is still Spring. Holland America does them on the Maasdam. If you can do two weeks on her, you can go to Canada and back. But she will draw and older crowd, and I have a suspicion your son would be bored. Go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose NYC or Boston from the departure ports to see who goes and when. EM

That trip wasn't happening anyway they don't want to go. So I'm stuck going where they want. I'm just first time on boats that I don't like being on. But willing to give it a try. They are also first time but they don't mind boats I'm trying to find the best boat that will be comfortable enough that I ll forget I'm on a boat Do you feel that you are on a boat. Does it rock

It rocks a little. Sometimes a lot. Some people feel it more than others. I see people onboard wearing the seasick patch (Transderm Scope) when I don't even see the liquid moving in my glass. They are afraid the ship is going to move. some people report getting sick before the ship has even left the dock. Much of the time,if you stay inside and don't look out windows or go onto the open deck, it will seem like you are in a Las Vegas hotel. EM

So I'm not understanding your question. They want to go, you don't. So, why can't they go without you - or are you paying? Your son doesn't need you to cruise, unless he is using your card... Where do they want to go? Your original post is so broken up in punctuation that it hard to decipher...If they really want to go, and you are paying, you hold the deciding card. EM

In general, the larger the ship, the less you will feel movement. The captain's number one priority is your safety and number two is your comfort. A ship will change route to avoid rough weather if at all possible.

Choose an itinerary with as many ports as possible. That way most of the sailing will be at night when you are asleep. I get my best sleep on a ship, same for my husband.

You did not mention how long a cruise you are considering. There are a few that are only one or two nights but in general, you can choose from three, four and five night cruises as well as seven night. Try a short one and then decide if you are interested in a longer one.

We love cruising. I met my husband on a cruise and we have seen much of the world with our son on cruises. We have crossed the Atlantic five or six times and the Pacific three times. If it were uncomfortable or dangerous, we would not have done it nor would we have taken our son. It is not for everyone but it is certainly better than flying (hence our transAtlantic crossings). And we find it restful and entertaining.

If the seas are rough enough, you will feel it on even the largest ship....the ocean is gigantic, compared to any ship...and a ship is simply floating on the ocean. But...80% of the time, seas are quite manageable....and if it is too rough, they do have medicines on board to help!