First timer on Azamara review

katykrol

Maybe they should have a sign "No bar serves on deck 11" While we did enjoy our cruise on Azamara. We did the cruise for the itinerary not the ship. We like Celebrity ships with 2000 to 3000 passengers. We will most likely do Azamara when we want to visit Bangkok.

There are bar servers who go up there. As grandma cruising says though just not as often as they come round on deck 9. There isn't a bar there. I honestly think this has been blown out of all proportion by the OP and others. If I really want a drink I'll go and get one and that has been my observation of others. It's not an issue. If a bar server goes up there I'm grateful for it because I know they are doing a bit of a trek. Do you get bar service at the Solstice Deck on Celebrity? I've never seen it.

The bar in the living room is often open from 11 so sometimes we pop in there after a bathroom break to pick up a drink to take back up if no server has been up. It's a non issue for us as well, we do not expect chairside service on demand wherever we are and moving around is good for me as well.

There are bar servers who go up there. As grandma cruising says though just not as often as they come round on deck 9. There isn't a bar there. I honestly think this has been blown out of all proportion by the OP and others. If I really want a drink I'll go and get one and that has been my observation of others. It's not an issue. If a bar server goes up there I'm grateful for it because I know they are doing a bit of a trek. Do you get bar service at the Solstice Deck on Celebrity? I've never seen it.

Am ashamed to say I've never been on deck 11 after goodness knows how many cruises on Quest and Journey. Will rectify it next month.

If I fancy a drink wherever I'm sunbathing and a server is not around I'll just go to the Pool Bar and get one. It's a non issue for me too.

It's sounding like Deck 11 may be the place for my wife and I when we board for our first two Azamara cruises(one on Journey and one one Quest). We have been blessed to travel all inclusive resorts, all inclusive river cruises, and suites all with included butler service and/or servers attending to us. I do enjoy when unexpectedly a server or butler shows up with a drink or a treat of some kind. However, I'm always shocked when people are upset that they didn't show up at the moment they were hungry or thirsty instead of taking 5 minutes for a bit of exercise to go to the closest bar and get their drinks and/or treat. I was actually at an all inclusive late last year where a few of the reviews said they loved the resort, the food, the island, etc... but wouldn't go back because the service was lacking as they had to wait at times 20 minutes or more for a server to come by for drinks. The closest bar was no more the 50 feet away from the beach. I've found that when I get up and go get my own drink I'm often pleasantly surprised as the server/butler shows up with a drink/treat and I end up with a two for one- LOL.

katykrol,

Thanks for posting your review. Food is so subjective, it's been my experience that the food on RCCL is not my favorite. It's not horrendous. So I can see why you feel the food was sub par to your experience. Also excursions can be hit or miss. That being said I should think that Azamara had already been on these tours and approved them. Giving them feedback is the right thing to do, and giving you some sort of compensation is also the right thing to do. This is especially because some others complained as well.

I think it comes down to expectation level. We all evaluate our experiences compared to some other similar experience(s). If the OP feels as if they did not get the proper expected value for their cruise, the OP will vote taking their business elsewhere.

The reason I made the comment was about the bar server saying "I can't keep coming up here"

I for one don't have a problem going and getting a drink if I want one. I just thought the bar server was out of line.

I have had 2 AZ cruises with 1st one good and 2nd with issues. Due to itinerary, I have another scheduled early next month out of Venice. They have redone their ships and the pics look lovely.

Today, AZ did something very special for me. I am starting to believe they go out of their way to make the customer happy. This was totally unexpected and all I want to say is "Thank You". What a fabulous gesture.

The deck thing was really a minor issue, and we did trek up and down 2 flights of stairs if we were thirsty. I certainly did not expect the server to be at my beck and call it was his comment that surprised me. And we were not the only passengers ordering drinks, I'd say at least 80% up there were ordering. That was not a particularly windy day as well. I do not want to give the impression that we disliked the cruise in general. There were many many things we loved. We just thought the food would be better. Maybe we are spoiled, we live in Houston and great restaurants are plentiful here. But as many people said, food is subjective. I guess the thing was at that price point we thought the quality and selection would be better.

Well, you certainly aren't the only one who has been disappointed in the food that has been served on a cruise ship! We were very pleased with the Windows buffet, the Patio Grill, but the MDR left a lot to be desired by us.....both in menu and in service.....so we just skipped it. And yes, we made mid cruise comments about it and post cruise comments about it. We enjoyed the other dining venues and visited the specialty restaurants a few times. Really loved the themed nights at Windows and normally we do not enjoy buffets.

I agree that, at this price point, the food in the MDR should be better in quality and variety.

We really enjoyed our Azamara cruise regardless of this and hope it will be improved by the time of our next cruise, but we will "make do", regardless.

Edited by takemewithyou

I am just happy I don;t have to cook the food and clean up after. I think with all the choices on a cruise ship no one will ever be going hungry...........I am also just elated to be on a cruise ship fussing about the food is not something that to me is that big a deal. I come to relax and enjoy the itinerary not worry about my next meal.or quite frankly how good or bad it is. Now tell me I am going to miss a port or a tour is cancelled that I flew 5000 miles to see then I will really fuss.

Kathy

A few of our favorites ---I don't think anyone has mentioned the Tapas in the Living Room . . . we really enjoyed this option and it was just the thing to tide us over until dinner when we returned from a shore excursion. We also enjoyed the Chef's Table. Also the special Dum Sum buffet they had one lunchtime in the MDR had an amazing selection and was delicious!

A few of our favorites ---I don't think anyone has mentioned the Tapas in the Living Room . . . we really enjoyed this option and it was just the thing to tide us over until dinner when we returned from a shore excursion. We also enjoyed the Chef's Table. Also the special Dum Sum buffet they had one lunchtime in the MDR had an amazing selection and was delicious!

Yes, all of those things were great. We did not do the Chef's Table....too much food for us, but we heard they were good. The Dim Sum buffet at lunchtime was excellent in MDR.

For us, food was good everywhere, except for the dinner selections and service in MDR.