AzAmazing Evening in Colombo

ceba

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this question but if all else fails I can make a few phone calls.

We are on the Spice route in Nov 2017. We arrive in Colombo Dec 2 at 8pm. The AzAmazing evening is scheduled that evening. It's called Esala Petahera Celebration in Kandy. My understanding is Kandy is quite a distance (2-3 hrs) from Colombo. Does anyone know how this evening works?

I can't speak for Colombo, but when we were on the Spice Route I and II cruises last November, we had an Azamazing evening in Yangon (about 1 1/2-2 hour drive from the cruise port). The ship made arrangements for people to be dropped off at a nice hotel in Yangon (where the ship had booked a few shared rooms so people could go freshen up). They were picked up at the hotel and taken to the Azamazing evening so they wouldn't have to ride back and forth from the ship to the Azamazing evening after the excursions were finished. This wasn't planned/communicated prior to the cruise. Perhaps something similar will be planned for your cruise. We didn't do this, but the people we spoke to who did it, thought it was very nicely done.

I can't speak for Colombo, but when we were on the Spice Route I and II cruises last November, we had an Azamazing evening in Yangon (about 1 1/2-2 hour drive from the cruise port). The ship made arrangements for people to be dropped off at a nice hotel in Yangon (where the ship had booked a few shared rooms so people could go freshen up). They were picked up at the hotel and taken to the Azamazing evening so they wouldn't have to ride back and forth from the ship to the Azamazing evening after the excursions were finished. This wasn't planned/communicated prior to the cruise. Perhaps something similar will be planned for your cruise. We didn't do this, but the people we spoke to who did it, thought it was very nicely done.

Thank you!

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this question but if all else fails I can make a few phone calls.

We are on the Spice route in Nov 2017. We arrive in Colombo Dec 2 at 8pm. The AzAmazing evening is scheduled that evening. It's called Esala Petahera Celebration in Kandy. My understanding is Kandy is quite a distance (2-3 hrs) from Colombo. Does anyone know how this evening works?

You arrive at 1 PM. That is a shame as Colombo was my favorite port. Sri Lanka was a respite from India, and you will miss the Pinewallas elephant orphanage a most inspiring experience. Another option is you get a private tour. They can end your tour in Kandy, and then you can take the ship transport back to the ship. Or you can do a 4 hour tour in Colombo and go back to the ship for the transport to Kandy. It is a long drive to Kandy.

It's a shame that the Azamazing evening is not in Yangon. I thought it was a lovely night, but MANY people left early. My suggestion for Yagon is to arrange for a tour that allows you to visit the Swedagon temple from 5-7 pm. It is really magical to see the temple change during sunset. At night the temple is so beautiful with all the lights on the buddhas.

The Esala Petahera Celebration is normally held in July/August, given how far Kandy is from Colombo are you sure it's not a reinactment of it in Colombo? We went to Kandy when we were on the Spice Route cruise a couple of years ago, we went on the Viceroy Express Train excursion and that took 3 hours !

The Esala Petahera Celebration is normally held in July/August, given how far Kandy is from Colombo are you sure it's not a reinactment of it in Colombo? We went to Kandy when we were on the Spice Route cruise a couple of years ago, we went on the Viceroy Express Train excursion and that took 3 hours !

Yes, we did same trip to Kandy and it could take even longer if go by road re traffic; if look at excursion brochure, looks like evening is a reinactment in Colombo as Azamrajunkie suggests. Enjoy.

I found some more information last night and yes, it is a reinactment. The description under the excursions is not real clear about this. I'm still not sure where the show will take place. What's still confusing to me is that the itinerary reads we arrive in Colombo at 8pm on the same night the A evening is scheduled. The cruise is 7 months away. I'm sure there will be some clarification on this. Thank you all for offering your thoughts.

We came back from Journey's Spice Route cruise last Saturday and we had the same Azamazing evening in Sri Lanka (yes, it is a representation of the actual celebrations). We docked at Colombo and the evening was held at the Taj hotel just a 5-minute coach ride away from the ship. The transfers all left in order of deck, between 2000 and 2030.

We came back from Journey's Spice Route cruise last Saturday and we had the same Azamazing evening in Sri Lanka (yes, it is a representation of the actual celebrations). We docked at Colombo and the evening was held at the Taj hotel just a 5-minute coach ride away from the ship. The transfers all left in order of deck, between 2000 and 2030.

Thank you! We are really looking forward to this trip. I hope you enjoyed your cruise.