Combining Disney Cruise with WDW

wacruiser77

After searching Cruise Critic for the best way to book cruise and park reservations, there is nothing current to be found. My question is this: I am a seasoned cruise traveler and have no problems booking a cruise online. However, this time I am taking grandkids to Disney World and planning a 3 day Disney Cruise afterward.

Is it better, or even possible, to book the cruise and park together? I can't find a package that includes this.

*What is the best method of booking both the cruise and a few days prior in WDW? I have been scouring the Disney websites and it does not appear that I can book everything I want in one place.

I am a little confused and thought maybe I am missing something. Maybe the simple answer is that I have to call to make all my reservations.

Obviously my goal is to have my entire trip run as smooth as they normally do when I book a trip through the WDW website. Airline, airport transfers, luggage all taken care of. I wanted to ensure that the same thing was true for both parts of our trip.

Any advice would be appreciated.

While it is possible to book your WDW stay thru DCL (on the phone), this is the WRONG way to do it. The reason is simple--DCL will happily charge you rack rate for your WDW stay. If you book the two vacations separately you can book exactly what you want and take advantage of any specials that are available either/both places. After you have booked your WDW stay, go back to your DCL reservation and add transfers if you wish ($35 per person each way). While you haven't told us how many people are involved in your cruise, if you have 4 people age 3 or over, a private company can usually provide transportation cheaper than the DCL transfers and operate on YOUR time schedule rather than DCL's.

A couple points. Why a 3 night cruise? This is only 2 1/2 days on the ship--barely time to find your way around. I would strongly encourage a 4 night cruise. While it sounds silly, it is a LOT more than a 3 night, particularly because you have the sea day. Even if it means one day less at the parks, I'd go for the longer cruise.

Also, generally not a good idea to book air thru DCL. You lose a lot of "choice" in your booking and generally pay a lot more. You can easily arrange a "seamless" vacation on your own.

1) Book your DCL and WDW reservations.

2) Book your air reservations.

3) Decide how you plan to get from WDW to the cruise terminal.

4) go back to your WDW reservation and add Magical Express to get from MCO to WDW.

5) go back to your DCL reservation and add transfers from WDW to cruise terminal and cruise terminal to MCO. NOTE--if you are on a "Participating airline," let DCL know that you want to do "onboard airline check in." This means that you will get your boarding passes and luggage tags in your cabin along with instructions. You place the tags on the luggage and place it outside your cabin on the last night. You won't see it again till your home airport. When you get to MCO, you proceed thru security and to the gate (no stops). Check in at the gate. This service alone is worth the cost of the DCL transfers from the cruise terminal to MCO!

Alternatively, use a great travel agent who specializes in DCL and who will happily talk to you on their 800 number...and let them do all of this booking stuff for you and in addition, reward you with an onboard credit.

Edited by moki'smommy

I would do three days at the world, then 4 days on the ship. You'll be tired after the park and can relax on the ship. Disney's Magic Express is a great experience, but not the cheapest.

You'll have a blast!

I would do three days at the world, then 4 days on the ship. You'll be tired after the park and can relax on the ship. Disney's Magic Express is a great experience, but not the cheapest.

You'll have a blast!

Actually, Disney's Magical Express is 100% free. However, it runs only between MCO and the various WDW resort hotels. To get to the cruise terminal, you will need to take DCL transfers which cost $35 per person each way.

I should have said earlier that there is a DCL desk at most of the resort hotels. While the CMs are there limited hours, they can answer any questions you have about cruise transportation (and verify that you are on the list) and answer some questions about the ship. They will confirm your meeting time and place and check you in when you show up for the transfers. It is always a good idea to touch base with them a day or two before you leave for the ship.

Moki'smommy: guess what? Took your advice. Booked 4 day cruise instead of 3[emoji1]

Smart move! It is SOOOOOO much better. Honestly, the only way I'd do a 3 night cruise is if it was free or nearly so. But then, I think 14 nights are even better.

Smart move! It is SOOOOOO much better. Honestly' date=' the only way I'd do a 3 night cruise is if it was free or nearly so. But then, I think 14 nights are even better.[/quote']

Me too. Usually book at least 14 day cruises but this is with grandkids so not an option.

• 1 year later...
While it is possible to book your WDW stay thru DCL (on the phone)' date=' this is the WRONG way to do it. The reason is simple--DCL will happily charge you rack rate for your WDW stay. If you book the two vacations separately you can book exactly what you want and take advantage of any specials that are available either/both places. After you have booked your WDW stay, go back to your DCL reservation and add transfers if you wish ($35 per person each way). While you haven't told us how many people are involved in your cruise, if you have 4 people age 3 or over, a private company can usually provide transportation cheaper than the DCL transfers and operate on YOUR time schedule rather than DCL's.

A couple points. Why a 3 night cruise? This is only 2 1/2 days on the ship--barely time to find your way around. I would strongly encourage a 4 night cruise. While it sounds silly, it is a LOT more than a 3 night, particularly because you have the sea day. Even if it means one day less at the parks, I'd go for the longer cruise.

Also, generally not a good idea to book air thru DCL. You lose a lot of "choice" in your booking and generally pay a lot more. You can easily arrange a "seamless" vacation on your own.

1) Book your DCL and WDW reservations.

2) Book your air reservations.

3) Decide how you plan to get from WDW to the cruise terminal.

4) go back to your WDW reservation and add Magical Express to get from MCO to WDW.

5) go back to your DCL reservation and add transfers from WDW to cruise terminal and cruise terminal to MCO. NOTE--if you are on a "Participating airline," let DCL know that you want to do "onboard airline check in." This means that you will get your boarding passes and luggage tags in your cabin along with instructions. You place the tags on the luggage and place it outside your cabin on the last night. You won't see it again till your home airport. When you get to MCO, you proceed thru security and to the gate (no stops). Check in at the gate. This service alone is worth the cost of the DCL transfers from the cruise terminal to MCO!

Alternatively, use a great travel agent who specializes in DCL and who will happily talk to you on their 800 number...and let them do all of this booking stuff for you and in addition, reward you with an onboard credit.[/quote']

Moki's mommy you seem to be a light in this tunnel of DCL craziness THANKYOU and I just wanted to pick your brain and request your advice please..I am doing basically the reverse of this traveler and doing the Dream 4 night and then 2 days at WDW. I also consider myself to be a savy traveler and have mostly always done my arrangements myself including a previous dream cruise but this time just traveling with the kiddo so I want to make it as easy as possible..right now I booked everything through DCL which now seems like a big no no but I have time to change..so what would your advice be as far as me coordinating the DCL transfers from MCO to Port canaveral and Dream to WDW ( Are of animation) for the post cruise 2 day trip and making sure that they take care of all my luggage the whole way through...I know if I leave it the way it is that will happen BUT I know that Im way overpaying and would love to not have to !! I would sincerely appreciate your help and expertise knowledge !!! TIA !!!!

Moki's mommy you seem to be a light in this tunnel of DCL craziness THANKYOU and I just wanted to pick your brain and request your advice please..I am doing basically the reverse of this traveler and doing the Dream 4 night and then 2 days at WDW. I also consider myself to be a savy traveler and have mostly always done my arrangements myself including a previous dream cruise but this time just traveling with the kiddo so I want to make it as easy as possible..right now I booked everything through DCL which now seems like a big no no but I have time to change..so what would your advice be as far as me coordinating the DCL transfers from MCO to Port canaveral and Dream to WDW ( Are of animation) for the post cruise 2 day trip and making sure that they take care of all my luggage the whole way through...I know if I leave it the way it is that will happen BUT I know that Im way overpaying and would love to not have to !! I would sincerely appreciate your help and expertise knowledge !!! TIA !!!!

They DO NOT take care of your luggage "the whole way thru" if you are going from the cruise terminal to WDW. They take your luggage from outside the door to your cabin to the cruise terminal. YOU claim the bags in the terminal and take them thru Customs and to the bus (or other transportation) to WDW. I was REALLY pissed when we took the bus to AKL--they dropped us and our bags at the lower drive thru, rather than with the bellman! OK, so it was only 4 steps up to the upper drive, with the bellman next to it. But there I was with my disabled daughter who is unable to walk the steps and the luggage and no help at all. Thanks a bunch, guys!

OK, back to your question--many "deals" at WDW start at a 3 night stay so you might not do any better cost wise booking thru WDW. In fact, you might save money if you could extend your stay to 3 nights. But it will not in any way change your luggage handling whether you book the WDW on your own or thru the cruise line. You can book WDW on your own and add DCL transfers to the cruise reservation--same price as in a package, same luggage handling.

They DO NOT take care of your luggage "the whole way thru" if you are going from the cruise terminal to WDW. They take your luggage from outside the door to your cabin to the cruise terminal. YOU claim the bags in the terminal and take them thru Customs and to the bus (or other transportation) to WDW. I was REALLY pissed when we took the bus to AKL--they dropped us and our bags at the lower drive thru' date=' rather than with the bellman! OK, so it was only 4 steps up to the upper drive, with the bellman next to it. But there I was with my disabled daughter who is unable to walk the steps and the luggage and no help at all. Thanks a bunch, guys!

O.[/quote']

OK got it :) Thank you so much !! :D

You may want to check out executiveviplimousine.com. I was quoted $250 for 6 people round trip WDW to PCanaveral and then to airport after the cruise. So far they are very responsive to my questions so I reserved them. They have good rating on TripAdvisor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by wacruiser77

You may want to check out executiveviplimousine.com. I was quoted $250 for 6 people round trip WDW to PCanaveral and then to airport after the cruise. So far they are very responsive to my questions so I reserved them. They have good rating on TripAdvisor

I did check with executive And for 2 ppl it still looks like DCL is the best option since that $30 pp and executive as well as happy limo was $130 plus tip