Disney Wonder Nassau Question

namest

We are traveling 1/13/17 with two 6 year old boys, 3 year old girl and 18 month old girl. We would like to get off ship but understand that the Atlantis admission is ridiculous. We heard we are better to get an hotel room for the day and be able to visit the Atlantis or just use the beach at the hotel. Any suggestions on what to do? What other hotel options are there that are reasonable for the day? Are we better just to stay on board? thanks for any input.

Honestly, I'd stay on board unless you are crazy about going to a beach. You'll have Castaway Cay on the cruise for your beach day.

About half the guests will get off the ship, making it much easier to have a great on board day. Points for staying on board--unlimited safe food (no need to purchase, worry about safe storage, etc), way easier than going to a beach, easy to return to the room for naps when needed, Oceaneer's Club will be open if desired, etc.

As you noted, it is much better to get a hotel room for the day with Atlantis tickets, but the room is based on 4 people. I'm not sure what the deal is for adding more children--you'd have to ask the hotel itself.

Yes, there are other beaches you can use. But you'll need transportation, etc. These would include Cable and Cabbage beaches. There are plenty of people renting/selling whatever you might want at the beach.

Castaway Cay is the easiest beach you'll ever visit.....

Agree, Nassau is not currently a unique port destination and the crime is a bit of a worry IMHO (check the Cruise Law News blog for updates). Our travel party is comprised of 2 adults and we chose to stay on the boat last December. Totally agree with @Moki; Castaway Key is an unparalleled beach experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, Nassau is not currently a unique port destination and the crime is a bit of a worry IMHO (check the Cruise Law News blog for updates).

One YouTube travel critic had useful "tips" for Nassau:

"The first thing you need to do when you get off the boat at Nassau is familiarize yourself with where to get back on at re-embarkation...

The second thing you need to do when you get off the boat at Nassau is GET BACK ON THE BOAT." :p

(I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I'm curious to get a look at Atlantis, if I can just get there and back again. How long are the usual stops?)

Not sure what you mean by "how long are the usual stops?" Are you asking how long the ship docks there? In that case, typically all day during daylight hours with all aboard about 4 or 5 pm. Occasionally the captain will announce a late departure (like midnight). Because the journey to Castaway is short. they don't need a full overnight to get there. Many speculate the long stays allow some crew R&R, but it seems to me that they are still on board serving guests.

There are no "stops" in Atlantis. You'd take public transportation (bus or taxi) and stay as long as you wish. Unless you want to pay the fat fee to enter, you'd be looking from the outside though.

Not sure what you mean by "how long are the usual stops?" Are you asking how long the ship docks there? In that case' date=' typically all day during daylight hours with all aboard about 4 or 5 pm.

There are no "stops" in Atlantis. You'd take public transportation (bus or taxi) and stay as long as you wish. Unless you want to pay the fat fee to enter, you'd be looking from the outside though.[/quote']

Picky, picky! :p Yes, I meant, "How long are the usual dockings in Nassau", so as to better plan a day-outing to Atlantis in February, when it gets dark around 5:30-6pm (as is presumably also the case nearer the Equator).

I know the taxis may be easy to catch from the port (and easily marked, unlike the scammers), but is it easy to get a day/half-day Atlantis pass a la carte ahead of time without the DCL-sponsored bus excursions? The resort doesn't seem to sell them on their website.

Edited by EJanss

Picky, picky! :p Yes, I meant, "How long are the usual dockings in Nassau", so as to better plan a day-outing to Atlantis in February, when it gets dark around 5:30-6pm (as is presumably also the case nearer the Equator).

I know the taxis may be easy to catch from the port (and easily marked, unlike the scammers), but is it easy to get a day/half-day Atlantis pass a la carte ahead of time without the DCL-sponsored bus excursions? The resort doesn't seem to sell them on their website.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've never heard of a half day pass. The best value I'm aware of is to rent a room at the hotel (Comfort Suites), which includes passes for 4 to Atlantis. Again, not a travel professional, can't swear this is the best deal, but it is the best I've heard of. And in addition, you have a place to shower, naps for kids, or whatever.

I've been to Nassau about 3 times on cruises now. I would stay on the ship if it were just me, but my daughter has never been, so I have to get off so she at least has set foot on Nassau. :p

We'll probably do the Ardastra Gardens and City Tour. It'd be nice if it were just a city tour like one I've done before, but oh well.

Edited by trevette1981

I just read on another Disney cruise group that they have changed the requirement to 2 nights for that other hotel (Comfort Suites?) to get into Atlantis. I am not planning on doing that so I just skimmed over it but do check on it and make sure.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

I just read on another Disney cruise group that they have changed the requirement to 2 nights for that other hotel (Comfort Suites?) to get into Atlantis. I am not planning on doing that so I just skimmed over it but do check on it and make sure.

Well, I just checked on the Comfort Suites website and they're still sellng day pass bookings. Nothing about staying 2 nights specified.

we've done the comfort suites day at atlantis thing....it's not worth it for anyone IMO...

and especially if you have 4 kids stay on the ship..

nassau is not a place to visit dragging 4 wee ones....really....don't get off the ship...you will most certainly want to get right back on and will regret your decision to get off....really ....seriously....

we've done the comfort suites day at atlantis thing....it's not worth it for anyone IMO...

and especially if you have 4 kids stay on the ship..

nassau is not a place to visit dragging 4 wee ones....really....don't get off the ship...you will most certainly want to get right back on and will regret your decision to get off....really ....seriously....

My feelings exactly. I don't know if the cruise line is required to dock in the Bahamas a certain number of times per year (since that is where the ships are flagged) or what/why...likely this is one of the only nearby ports that will handle the bigger ships...but it is just awful.

My feelings exactly. I don't know if the cruise line is required to dock in the Bahamas a certain number of times per year (since that is where the ships are flagged) or what/why...likely this is one of the only nearby ports that will handle the bigger ships...but it is just awful.

really really awful...

and with 4 very young children, they should absolutely use the nassau day as a sea day - stay on the ship..

castaway cay is the beach day, nassau the ship day...

actually, this is my advice to anyone visiting nassau, not just those with 4 little ones...

a few years back, i took my mom and sister on the disney dream...

i suggested we stay on the ship, but they wanted to 'see a bit of nassau'...

well...the moment they set foot off the ship, they regretted it..

we did continue on, saw a bit....

then got back on the ship..

to this day, they say they made a mistake and should have listened to me and stayed on the ship...

and with 4 munchkins all the more reason to stay on the ship...

the atlantis is just a big hotel with some ok waterslides (that have huge lines given that all the other cruise ships are also in port at the same time)..

did i mention that you should stay on the ship? :)

Edited by alaska_planner

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that theory. (Ie., why every airline has to go through DC or Atlanta, depending on the carrier.)

Still, I'll go once to get a look at it. A couple of hours on the beach at Atlantis is better than an entire life with no Bahamas. :cool:

If all you want is a decent beach, Cable Beach and Cabbage beach are free and quite acceptable (right next to the Hilton ...if I got the right hotel). They are a long walk or a short taxi ride from the port; with kids you'd need the ride. No need to pay for Atlantis just to have a clean, safe beach.

I'm with the majority of posters here and say stay on the ship. We ventured off the ship but it wasn't long before going right back.

I did do some tanzanite shopping while in Nassau but then it was right back to the comforts of the ship.

With 4 kids under 6, just stay aboard the ship and enjoy everything you are paying for. There are tons of stuff to do on the ship. Especially for the under 10 crowd.

My brother left the ship and was back very quickly. He described it as a bad beach town crossed with a tourist trap.

The beach at Castaway Cay is amazing and is no caparison.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello! We just booked our first ever cruise on Magic in February with our 2.5 yr old and we were considering getting off in Nassau and going to Blue Lagoon Island as our one excursion (other than castaway cay).....nothing we want to do in key west. Blue Lagoon Island got really good reviews on trip advisor but reading so many suggestions to stay on the ship in Nassau is leaving me perplexed.... has anyone visited Blue Lagoon Island and can say whether you would have rather stayed on the ship?? Debating between experiencing a little Nassau excursion or saving some money and staying on the boat now. [emoji15]

Hello! We just booked our first ever cruise on Magic in February with our 2.5 yr old and we were considering getting off in Nassau and going to Blue Lagoon Island as our one excursion (other than castaway cay).....nothing we want to do in key west. Blue Lagoon Island got really good reviews on trip advisor but reading so many suggestions to stay on the ship in Nassau is leaving me perplexed.... has anyone visited Blue Lagoon Island and can say whether you would have rather stayed on the ship?? Debating between experiencing a little Nassau excursion or saving some money and staying on the boat now. [emoji15]

I have not ever done the blue lagoon excursion but I still voted to stay on the boat! Your days will go by so fast and I believe, when it's all said and done, you'll wish you'd have spent more time enjoying the ship. We could spend DAYS strolling the decks. Checking out all the fine details, the tastefull displays of disney and the art gallery.

It's the Relaxing part of the cruise for me. At least that's my own personal opinion.

• 3 weeks later...