Transportation from MCO hotel to port

purplechic7106

After a long cruising hiatus, we are back, with an extra 2 in tow! 😀 So excited to share our love of cruising with our 4 and 2 year old on the Fantasy in February.

Traveling with my sister's family of 4 and staying at Marriott MCO the night before. Is the Disney transfer the easiest or should we book a private service? Always did our own thing before kids but not sure if that makes sense now.

Also, does anyone know what time the buses start leaving? We are early risers. 😀 TIA!!

After a long cruising hiatus, we are back, with an extra 2 in tow! 😀 So excited to share our love of cruising with our 4 and 2 year old on the Fantasy in February.

Traveling with my sister's family of 4 and staying at Marriott MCO the night before. Is the Disney transfer the easiest or should we book a private service? Always did our own thing before kids but not sure if that makes sense now.

Also, does anyone know what time the buses start leaving? We are early risers. 😀 TIA!!

Well, the "easiest" would be the DCL transfers. But that's not going to be the cheapest. DCL transfers are $35.00 per person each way (MCO/port; port/MCO).

The DCL transfer check in at MCO starts at 9:00, with the first departing around 9:15.

You'd have to get back to the airport from the Marriott to catch the bus. Or you could look into a private rental (limo or rental car).

First, I disagree that the DCL transfer bus will be easiest. From the MARIOTT MCO you would need to take the hotel shuttle back to MCO and from there board and take the DCL bus. You will be taking your luggage from the hotel back to MCO and then turning it over to the DCL people. The first bus departs about 9:30.

Now, if you wrote incorrectly and meant the HYATT MCO, using DCL transfers is easy. But it isn't any easier than private transportation.

If you arrange a private towncar/limo service from any hotel, you ring bell services and have them take your luggage from your room to the front of the hotel. You meet your transportation there, and the driver will unload your luggage at the terminal and hand it to the porters. MCO to port for 8 people will cost you about $175 one way. DCL transfers for 8 would cost you $280. That $100+ difference more than covers a tip for the driver and the porter! And an added benefit is a 15 or 30 minute stop at a store of your choice if needed. That's great if you've forgotten something, need to pick up some beverages, or whatever. Using DCL transfers you have no chance to get to any outlet not operated by Disney!

The driver from the Mariott will not be able to drop you and your luggage right at the Disney area of terminal B. That area is reserved for Disney buses. You will be dropped at a different door (still terminal B) and get to drag your luggage thru the lower level of the terminal to the welcome center. No problem if you have one bag per person. Big problem if you have multiple bags, multiple kids, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

Renting a car at MCO can be pretty inexpensive on a per person basis. Likely to be cheaper than almost any other alternative in this case. You can drop off at Canaveral and their shuttle takes you to the DCL terminal. Just did this two weeks ago and it was simple; even in aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.

Renting a car at MCO can be pretty inexpensive on a per person basis. Likely to be cheaper than almost any other alternative in this case. You can drop off at Canaveral and their shuttle takes you to the DCL terminal. Just did this two weeks ago and it was simple; even in aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.

Agree that a rental car can be cheap and relatively easy. However, for 8 people they would be looking at either a large vehicle (more cost) or two vehicles. Also more trouble. Don't forget to factor in gas and tolls also. The easiest way to go with a car rental is for the driver to drop mom and the kids at the port along with the luggage (porters take the luggage as soon as you pull up to the curb), and go return the car. Mom and kids can get in line to do security and start check in. It's easy to get a single person with no luggage onto almost any shuttle while a family with luggage may have to wait for the next run!

However....for 8 people, I'd still look at a towncar/limo/van service just for the ease. One family has 2 toddlers, not sure what the other family has! After spending thousands to get on the cruise ship, it is well worth $20 to arrive in ease and comfort.

Edited by moki'smommy

You guys are awesome! We have a 15 year old, a 4 year old and two(!) 2 year olds with us. I thought the bus might be easier so we don't have to worry about car seats, but am rethinking that....would be nice just to be picked up at the hotel in the morning.

Also we splurged for suites and have concierge services. Does that make check in a bit easier or should we still plan on arriving by 10 to get in line, avoid crowds, get kids settled etc.?

Finally any car service recommendations you have are most welcome! :)

Thank you so much!!

Edited by purplechic7106

Since you are concierge, you will check in at the concierge line--no waiting after security. After check in, you'll sit in the concierge lounge and be boarded before the boarding announcement. Only a wedding party would board before concierge.

Also, if your budget allowed for a concierge suite, definitely do a car service.

FL Tours (also called FL Limo) is one that I've used most recently but there are lots of good companies--Southern Elegance, Happy Limo, etc. You'll get a dozen GOOD recommendations here. Note, 10+ years ago FL Tours had different management and lots of complaints. I haven't read anything bad in the last 10 years or so since the new owners took over. SO if you look up reviews, check the dates. We, personally, liked them. The list the rate for a 10 passenger van at $170 one way; they do give a small price reduction for a round trip. If you need to make a Wal-mart stop for diapers or whatever, they do allow a brief stop (leave the kids in the car and have the moms run in!) They have all sizes of vehicles based on your number of people and how much you want to pay. They will supply car seats, etc. Rates include all tolls, fees, etc. except a tip to the driver. If you book a round trip, tip on each leg--you will probably have a different driver on the way home.

Boarding starts at 11:15 (ish). Again, being concierge, the only people possibly in line ahead of you to check in are other concierge guests and those lines move quickly. I'd show up around 10:30 (when the terminal opens) rather than lining up in front of a closed building....but that's me. Yes, you'll be a little farther back in the entry line, but you'll sail right past all those people when you go to check in. I'm thinking about as little waiting as possible with the kids....

Some transportation companies will match competitor's fees...so if you find someone with a great rate but prefer to use a different company due to recommendations or whatever, it doesn't hurt to ask. ALSO if you use a company that includes the tip in the contract, print it out and bring it along! One of the big scams is the company saying the tip is included but then you arrive and the driver has his hand out--you'll want proof that you already tipped. MOST companies have the tip extra.

Edited by moki'smommy

I thought the bus might be easier so we don't have to worry about car seats, but am rethinking that....would be nice just to be picked up at the hotel in the morning.

If you are coming into Orlando only for the cruise, some of the private transport services will provide you a car seat (or two) if you request it in advance. They may not be the cleanest, but are usually good enough for the hour to the port and back, depending on the service. So if you know for sure you aren't going anywhere else besides Port Canaveral, you might still be able to leave the car seats at home.

Of course, if there is any chance you will staying longer in Orlando or going to other places, having your own car seat(s) is handy and far more convenient, even though some taxicabs have them.

Edited by cruiseabuser

You guys are awesome! We have a 15 year old, a 4 year old and two(!) 2 year olds with us. I thought the bus might be easier so we don't have to worry about car seats, but am rethinking that....would be nice just to be picked up at the hotel in the morning.

Also we splurged for suites and have concierge services. Does that make check in a bit easier or should we still plan on arriving by 10 to get in line, avoid crowds, get kids settled etc.?

Finally any car service recommendations you have are most welcome! :)

Thank you so much!!

I don't know if a hotel change at the airport is any type of possibility but, last month I stayed at Hyatt in the airport. You jot down your room and number of bags at the front desk, and you leave your luggage with tags inside your hotel room starting at 8:30; then you can go have breakfast and catch your Disney bus to the port. The next time you see your bags is on board the ship in your stateroom. Easier than any other option and I will do it again. As far as I know only the Hyatt in the airport does this, since it is actually in the terminal.