May cruise to fjords

rider27

Hi, never been on a cruise before and am excited about going on the Balmoral to Norway at the end of this month.

Excitement somewhat dimmed though by the norovirus reports! How do others feel about whether the ship will have been sufficiently cleaned on its return from the US?

I gather it has had it before - last year - maybe it is a good time to go directly after an outbreak is it, because it will be a very clean ship? What are other people's feelings who are due to get on the ship this month in Newcastle?

I was on the cruise last year when our cruise was cut short by a day and we missed a very scenic part of the cruise. You can look at this two ways. Learn from it as you have been made aware that Norovirus can be very prevalent on cruise ships, not only the Balmoral and take extra care by washing hands like we are going to do in two weeks. Or cancel and then be mad because the ship travelled virus free. I hope you have a pleasant and virus free cruise

Thanks for replying Broch.

Crosssing fingers and hoping for the best, we booked the fjord trip to see if we liked cruising, so I hope it all goes without a hitch.

What's the best thing to do, wash hands regularly throughout the day and evening?

Hi, never been on a cruise before and am excited about going on the Balmoral to Norway at the end of this month.

Excitement somewhat dimmed though by the norovirus reports! How do others feel about whether the ship will have been sufficiently cleaned on its return from the US?

I gather it has had it before - last year - maybe it is a good time to go directly after an outbreak is it, because it will be a very clean ship? What are other people's feelings who are due to get on the ship this month in Newcastle?

I am on Balmoral at the end of the Month, but it is going to Iceland on the 31 st. May

Thanks for replying Broch.

Crosssing fingers and hoping for the best, we booked the fjord trip to see if we liked cruising, so I hope it all goes without a hitch.

What's the best thing to do, wash hands regularly throughout the day and evening?

Yes vigorous washing of hands. As we experienced many people with the virus last year we are far more vigilant this year and we are taking Clinell germ wipes as the ones they use in hospitals for pushing lift buttons or on hand rails, get them from Amazon and also Boots Anti Viral foam buy one get one half price from boots. Another thing we do is sign all drinks receipts with your own pen as the waiters pens hav been in countless hands. Drastic I know but but better to be safe than sorry. BTW we really did like the ship all the staff and the cruise to Norwegian fjords last year on Balmoral. Just hoping for a better experience this barring unforeseen circumstances

Edited by Broch

.... for pushing lift buttons or on hand rails, get them from Amazon and also Boots Anti Viral foam buy one get one half price from boots. Another thing we do is sign all drinks receipts with your own pen .....

I completely agree with anti VIRAL (rather than anti-bacterial) and also using your own pen. Additionally, can I suggest pushing lift buttons with a bony elbow or a knuckle, rather than the finger. And when leaving the public toilets (if you really MUST use them), again use the elbow for the handle and push outwards if the door opens that way, or use a paper hand towel to grasp the handle, again pushing the door open with your shoulder. Also, as soon as you get back into your cabin, wash and scrub the hands in case you've picked up anything.

All this sounds a bit drastic, but is very easy to get in the swing of, and well worth it if it means you stay healthy.

Broch and CottonBuddas - thank you for the excellent and very helpful replies. We shall go and get those wipes and foam and the idea of using our own pen just would never have occurred to us. We won't be using the public toilets I am sure. Isn't it awful that we have to do all this though....

I am reading online now that the hand gels are ineffective against norovirus. Only bleach will kill it...!

I agree a lot of gels are a waste of money and vigorous washing of hands can be just as good but the boots anti viral is a foam and does not contain alcohol it is more effective against Noro virus but it is a very hard virus to get rid of. But I do not fancy rubbing on undiluted bleach on my hand but rather as you say avoid the public toilets but carry a foam anti viral and wash well before going to bed

I agree a lot of gels are a waste of money and vigorous washing of hands can be just as good but the boots anti viral is a foam and does not contain alcohol it is more effective against Noro virus but it is a very hard virus to get rid of. But I do not fancy rubbing on undiluted bleach on my hand but rather as you say avoid the public toilets but carry a foam anti viral and wash well before going to bed

I shall be the cleanest I have ever been, I can see that, LOL!

I shall be the cleanest I have ever been, I can see that, LOL!

Nice one. I can see the funny side. You have to haven't you. I sincerely hope you enjoy your cruise. We leave for Iceland on the 31st May for 11 nights so hopefully we will all have a virus free cruise. Will post when we get home

Nice one. I can see the funny side. You have to haven't you. I sincerely hope you enjoy your cruise. We leave for Iceland on the 31st May for 11 nights so hopefully we will all have a virus free cruise. Will post when we get home

Indeed, yes, you've got to or you'd never do anything.

That Iceland trip sounds good - it must be going right after we get back from Norway, if you are going on the Balmoral.

Have a great time!

I would imagine every Cruise Ship in the world has been hit with Norovirus.

We use the Boots stuff mentioned elsewhere, use your own cabins facilities, use your own pen to sign for drinks, serviette In the Buffett when using tongs. Wash hands and try not touch your face much.

Apart from the above, it's easy😄 Don't get paranoid about Norovirus, it's everywhere. Doctors Surgeries, Hospitals, Schools, Coach Holiday Hotels are well known for getting it.

Ok Balmoral has an outbreak now, but i remember a few years ago people on this Site getting wild about Noro on the Boudica.

Just relax and if you want to worry about anything worry about the weight you will put on.

Have a great cruise.

I reckon Balmoral had a free night on Friday whist moving from Southampton to Newcastle, so hopefully a deep clean would be done during this time.

We are due to board on 26th.

Let's hope so. I hope we have better luck this year than last year. With less passengers using Newcastle than Southampton maybe less chance of someone taking it onboard. Just a theory with no substance but here's hoping.

Let's hope so. I hope we have better luck this year than last year. With less passengers using Newcastle than Southampton maybe less chance of someone taking it onboard. Just a theory with no substance but here's hoping.

We did Iceland last year on Black Watch from Liverpool. No problems on ship.

You will love it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

We did Iceland last year on Black Watch from Liverpool. No problems on ship.

You will love it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you that's encouraging

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loved the Norway cruise on Balmoral. First time cruising so it was a learning curve but it was great!, until we came home and developed stinking colds!, air con perhaps or sitting on a coach who knows, but maybe this is a risk on every cruise.

We enjoyed the cruise to Norway; we got off May 31st with a quick disembark and were back in N. Yorks to get the dog by 11.00am.

The food was good, the drinks were free ( inclusive package!) and our cabin was comfy. We have been to Bergen a few times and as usual it rained! We must like it, but, as we keep going back. Highly recommended. :)