P&O Aurora - What can you tell me

cruisefan2012

Aurora is a beautiful ship. Just a good size. We have been on her twice now and would be among my favourite ships in 19 cruises over 5 different lines.

If you enjoy dancing - Carmens lounge is for you. Nice sized dance floor and normally quite good music. We had dinner in the Beachouse twice in the last cruise - food was amazing.

mummsie

What can you tell me about P&O Aurora

Have 2 cruises booked on her, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and to be honest I dont really know much about Aurora, It was the itineraries that drew me to her !!

We are on Aurora now (for the first time) and having a great cruise. Love the ship and will be publishing a detailed review when we return home next week.

Perhaps my favourite ship. It's warm, welcoming, is just the right size for us and has an understated charm imo. It's not a glitzy ship but personally that isn't something which attracts me - often the decor in more modern bigger ships feels cold to me and a bit like shopping malls - nice to look at but lacking in cosy, comfy areas to settle down and relax. But that's just personal preference of course.

The Crow's Nest is large and comfortable, there always seems to be plenty of room in lounges and the tiered stern is lovely. Lots of outside space. The cinema is a bonus as far as I'm concerned too.

To say Aurora is smaller than Azura I find her far more spacious - there just seems to be more public areas compared to the passenger load to be accommodated.

Not a wow factor ship but I'd be delighted to book this ship for the right itinerary. We are in the same position re Arcadia - have two trips booked but yet to travel on her. I've watched a few YouTube tours which has given me a feel of what to expect and from reports I've read and friends' opinions I don't think we'll be disappointed. Being in a similar position though I do appreciate your search for more info. I trust you won't be disappointed either. She's a lovely ship.

She is one of the best ships we have sailed on, and that includes Seabourn ones and Cunard.

She was our first big ship back in Oct 2001 and we have loved her ever since.

She takes the seas extremely well, having been built to do so. Her stern is beautifully tiered, something P&O of old used to do when they built their ships. Unfortunately they will never build a ship so beautifully again.

Her Atrium is lovely, with a Lalique glass sculpture with water running down it. It is not a glizty ship, but none of P&O's ships are - thank God. Andersons Bar is like a Gentleman's Lounge Bar - very very nice, one of the best bars around. Her Crow's Nest is also one of the best with the bar centrally located at the back. The outside bars are all great, the Pennant Bar especially having a great view of the wake of the ship. As someone else has mentioned, she has one of the best dance floors around, something that seems to be disappearing from ships nowadays. The Library has got smaller as it's been moved from where it used to be - where Sindhu now is. The MDR's are very nice. We've always had Club Dining and used to always be placed in the Alexandria Restaurant which we prefer, but now, of course, that is only for Club Dining and the Oriental is for Freedom dining only. As mentioned she now has a Sindhu, which is Atul Kochar's restaurant. He is a Michelin starred chef and, having eaten in his restaurant in London, I can assure you the food is excellent, almost as good as on land. As mentioned by someone else, she has a Beach House which is well worth trying.

She has always had a lovely atmosphere and a day at sea on her, sunbathing out on deck, is a wonderful experience. I have many happy memories of her even now.

Highly recommended! :)

What can you tell me about P&O Aurora

Have 2 cruises booked on her, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and to be honest I dont really know much about Aurora, It was the itineraries that drew me to her !!

Absolutely endorse what mummsie and Cruise Puss say. Aurora was the first P&O ship we sailed on after a long break from cruising, the year after a cruise with RCI, and I absolutely loved Aurora. Lovely, friendly atmosphere, beautiful ship to look at, loads of deck space, understated elegance. We are back on her this summer and I can't wait!

Just reading this thread (thanks for all the posts so far from everyone) as I will be sailing on her for the 1st time and 1st for P&O and 1st Christmas at sea as well. I have cruise loads before so not new to this, but I find somewhere I want to visit, then find a cruise that goes there. The DW wanted to visit the Christmas Markets of Northern Europe, so that is the trip we have booked.

We got a good deal at the beginning of the year and are looking forward to sailing on her.

There is pro and cons for every cruise line and ship, but a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land.

I agree with everything positive that has been said about Aurora. She's one of our favourite ships. She's elegant, no not glitzy but we've never felt that she doesn't have enough space, even on sea days. We went on the Christmas Markets cruise last December and it was wonderful. We boarded on 6th December, I think, and by the second day the ship had been fully decorated for Christmas. It was a lovely cruise, especially on leaving Amsterdam when there was a real surprise - they may do it every year so I won't tell you what but you need to be looking over to the quayside an hour or so before the ship is due to leave.

We are going on the long South American cruise next January - 65 nights - and we wouldn't do that on a ship we didn't love!

Great to hear such good reports about Aurora. We have only been on board once and that was before the refit. We see also doing the 65 night cruise in January and added on the previous 5 night cruise for the New Year.

Sue

We are on Aurora now (for the first time) and having a great cruise. Love the ship and will be publishing a detailed review when we return home next week.

Can you tell me whether the show times in the evening have changed to 7.30 and 9.00? Many thanks

Can you tell me whether the show times in the evening have changed to 7.30 and 9.00? Many thanks

Hi mandylennon, we are also on Aurora (but I've sadly still not met Selbourne), the shows are still 8.30 and 10.30, we've only been to see the comedian (very funny) but some of our table-mates go to some and all those have been at 10.30. We're having a lovely cruise with superb weather. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As Ehg has said, shows in the theatre are at 8.30pm and 10.30pm. Performances in the show lounge are usually 7.30pm and 9.30pm but sometimes differ. The Stadium Theatre Company on this cruise have been weak (good dancers but poor singers) but a new troupe joins next week. Harmony Duo (classical violinist and pianist) have been performing in The Playhouse and have been superb. Caravans Bee Gees tribute was also excellent.

Thanks for your replies and glad that they have not changed the shows times as I believe they have on Ventura and people are not happy with the new earlier times.

We are looking forward to cruising on Aurora very much, 4 weeks tomorrow, but whose counting!

Great to hear such good reports about Aurora. We have only been on board once and that was before the refit. We see also doing the 65 night cruise in January and added on the previous 5 night cruise for the New Year.

Sue

Hi Sue, I was thinking of you back in April - it's hard to believe you were away so long! You must have enjoyed it to have booked another. Do you get 'home-sick' for cruising when you are at home? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps my favourite ship. It's warm, welcoming, is just the right size for us and has an understated charm imo. It's not a glitzy ship but personally that isn't something which attracts me - often the decor in more modern bigger ships feels cold to me and a bit like shopping malls - nice to look at but lacking in cosy, comfy areas to settle down and relax. But that's just personal preference of course.

This made me smile. When we recently boarded Azura we sat having coffee in the Atrium, not far from the embarkation point. A family boarded and walked in and their young daughter looked up at the shops and said "Mum, when are we getting on the ship?" I guess she wasn't expecting a shopping mall [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She is one of the best ships we have sailed on, and that includes Seabourn ones and Cunard.

She was our first big ship back in Oct 2001 and we have loved her ever since.

She takes the seas extremely well, having been built to do so. Her stern is beautifully tiered, something P&O of old used to do when they built their ships. Unfortunately they will never build a ship so beautifully again.

Her Atrium is lovely, with a Lalique glass sculpture with water running down it. It is not a glizty ship, but none of P&O's ships are - thank God. Andersons Bar is like a Gentleman's Lounge Bar - very very nice, one of the best bars around. Her Crow's Nest is also one of the best with the bar centrally located at the back. The outside bars are all great, the Pennant Bar especially having a great view of the wake of the ship. As someone else has mentioned, she has one of the best dance floors around, something that seems to be disappearing from ships nowadays. The Library has got smaller as it's been moved from where it used to be - where Sindhu now is. The MDR's are very nice. We've always had Club Dining and used to always be placed in the Alexandria Restaurant which we prefer, but now, of course, that is only for Club Dining and the Oriental is for Freedom dining only. As mentioned she now has a Sindhu, which is Atul Kochar's restaurant. He is a Michelin starred chef and, having eaten in his restaurant in London, I can assure you the food is excellent, almost as good as on land. As mentioned by someone else, she has a Beach House which is well worth trying.

She has always had a lovely atmosphere and a day at sea on her, sunbathing out on deck, is a wonderful experience. I have many happy memories of her even now.

Highly recommended! :)

I haven't been on Aurora yet (I really want to soon) but the tiered aft on Oriana is something I really really liked!

Aurora is great apart from the fact somebody thought it was a good idea to put the galley for the buffet and room service just across the corridor from some of the most expensive cabins on board - so guests there get an assortment of bangs and rattles from the galley 24/7 and disturbed nights.

Aurora is great apart from the fact somebody thought it was a good idea to put the galley for the buffet and room service just across the corridor from some of the most expensive cabins on board - so guests there get an assortment of bangs and rattles from the galley 24/7 and disturbed nights.

Which deck and cabins are these, please?

I am also just back from Aurora and had the pleasure of meeting both Selbourne and Ehg with their lovely partners too.

Aurora is not to everyone's liking as she is now considered a smaller ship and has a more traditional decor. I love her and also Oriana (my favourite by a small margin). As well as the various positive points already mentioned, I would also say she has one of the most friendly crews too. So many staff smile and say hello - even if they are on the staircases polishing the rails! The service was excellent, almost without exception.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Britboys also stayed at Holiday Inn the night before,somehow missed you on board. Did meet Ehg table mate, and Selbourne.

The question was, what can you tell me about Aurora.

Here Goes:.

She a big white thing with a blue funnel

Which deck and cabins are these, please?

The galley fills the centre of Deck B from just forward of the aft lifts to about half way to the mid-ship lifts. The noise isn't continuous, but can occur at any time. I guess it may not disturb some people, but it certainly did my wife and me.

Britboys also stayed at Holiday Inn the night before,somehow missed you on board. Did meet Ehg table mate, and Selbourne.

The question was, what can you tell me about Aurora.

Here Goes:.

She a big white thing with a blue funnel

DH!

I'm sending you your Christmas card next week in case I forget! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums