Carry On Only - Rum Runners?

DBSO Monkey

We are going to be sailing on the Spirit to AK in July. Since we will be driving to the port instead of flying and are only gone for a week we are going to carry on our baggage. We plan to bring a bottle or two of wine (which is allowed) but we are very particular about the kind of Vodka we drink (which Carnival does not have). We have some rum runners but the question we are stuck with now...what is the best way to bring our vodka with us? Is it safe to put the rum runners into our carry on bags? What are the thoughts from the "professional cruisers" our there?

We are going to be sailing on the Spirit to AK in July. Since we will be driving to the port instead of flying and are only gone for a week we are going to carry on our baggage. We plan to bring a bottle or two of wine (which is allowed) but we are very particular about the kind of Vodka we drink (which Carnival does not have). We have some rum runners but the question we are stuck with now...what is the best way to bring our vodka with us? Is it safe to put the rum runners into our carry on bags? What are the thoughts from the "professional cruisers" our there?

No - they will be x-rayed and confiscated until the end of your cruise. I use the rumrunner flasks religiously and simply put them into my checked baggage and have never had an issue. I always bring 6 filled Rum Runner flasks on each cruise...

so suck it up and check one of the bags huh? If I do that can I carry the checked bag off the ship at the end of the cruise?

Baggage decisions for embarkation have absolutely no significance relative to debarkation.

No - they will be x-rayed and confiscated until the end of your cruise. I use the rumrunner flasks religiously and simply put them into my checked baggage and have never had an issue. I always bring 6 filled Rum Runner flasks on each cruise...

They will be x-rayed and conficated? Rum-Runners advertise that they are not detectable.

They will be x-rayed and conficated? Rum-Runners advertise that they are not detectable.

I tried myself (just to test claims) so I filled one of the small rum runner flasks with vodka and left it in my carry-on. Surely enough it was confiscated and returned to me the last night of the cruise. I have tested this myself. Simply put them in your CHECKED baggage and you shouldn't have an issue.

Have you seen an X-ray image of baggage? Plastic is detectable as well as liquids.

I tried myself (just to test claims) so I filled one of the small rum runner flasks with vodka and left it in my carry-on. Surely enough it was confiscated and returned to me the last night of the cruise. I have tested this myself. Simply put them in your CHECKED baggage and you shouldn't have an issue.

Have you seen an X-ray image of baggage? Plastic is detectable as well as liquids.

So are you going to file a lawsuit against them for false advertising? :p

So are you going to file a lawsuit against them for false advertising? :p

Why? I get a great deal of success using their products... Common sense goes a LONG way. I was simply testing to see what would happen.

Yeah - I'm gonna sue a company because I couldn't smuggle booze...

Our Carnival 7 day cruise last June 09 out of Maimi. I had a BIG bottle of Captain Morgan in my checked luggage. My gal had a BIG bottle of Vodka in her checked luggage. Her son walked on board through check-in with a FULL liqour box with rums, vodkas, sodas and wine.

All went through with no problem. Even I was stunned they didn't take that carton full of booze. :O

We still bought a lot of ship booze. :)

GL!

We even buy stuff further away from port and put it in the rum runners and come back on board...But I love my rum runners..We put all 6 in the checked luggage and it went thru fine :-)

Agreed - I always shop locally and check my liquor in my airline carry-on...

Well if you want to carry some on and need a drink before you get your bags just put it in a water bottle.

For safety purposes people should stay hydrated and I've not seen them open water bottles. BTW it also works in ports when re boarding the ship, just in case you need some extra hydration during the cruise. :D

i was wondering if anyone has tried putting rum runners in their pants pockets while boarding the ship? this seems like it should work since they do not x-ray you but just use a metal detector. I was thinking of putting a 16 oz rum runner in each pocket of my cargo pants and walking in. do you think this will work? p.s. i was thinking of duct taping them to my legs but then realized if i DID get caught they may think something was really up lol. :eek:

With Carnival's new stance on checked baggage (bags must be unlocked and open containers of prohibited liquids will be thrown away), I'd personally think twice.

Before you get ready to have the most fun you ever thought possible on your upcoming cruise, we must share some important security information with you.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions of your cruise ticket contract.

IMPORTANT - All luggage must be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom.

We only have a couple of drinks each on the ship so do not (and have never) smuggled anything on board.

Well if you want to carry some on and need a drink before you get your bags just put it in a water bottle.

For safety purposes people should stay hydrated and I've not seen them open water bottles. BTW it also works in ports when re boarding the ship, just in case you need some extra hydration during the cruise. :D

depends on the security staff, I have seen them "shake" water bottles and look closely at the caps when reboarding at a port of call -OR- during embarkation. And who knows.... CCL may have had a memo sent out to security to start monitoring suspicious bottles or luggage more closely now. For me... it's even more of a hassle now and not worth the stress for the so called ]"]"$avings"[/[/b][/b]COLOR] you are trying to achieve !

i was wondering if anyone has tried putting rum runners in their pants pockets while boarding the ship? this seems like it should work since they do not x-ray you but just use a metal detector. I was thinking of putting a 16 oz rum runner in each pocket of my cargo pants and walking in. do you think this will work? p.s. i was thinking of duct taping them to my legs but then realized if i DID get caught they may think something was really up lol. :eek:

I have done that several times. Walked right on, no problem.

I always lock my luggage. No one is going to open it without me present. If you have to keep it unlocked they could take other things and you would have no recourse. I was on RCCL in December and they wait until you are there to open the luggage. I know because a friend had beer in his suitcase and had to open the bag in front of them. That would be a big liability for them to say keep your suitcase unlocked. The porter or anyone else handling the luggage could steal something. I would insist on bringing all my luggage on board no matter what size if it had to be unlocked.

Candi

A note about Rumrunners:

After reading a few threads here about Rumrunners we decided to order 3, 32oz flasks for an upcoming cruise.

I placed an online order on Jan 27 at 11:30am eastern time and used standard USPS first class shippping. Got an immediate confirmation of my order and received a shipping notice an hour later. The package arrived today from Phoenix (2 days cross country!). They get my Attaboy award.

They do advertise non-detectable, but it might be referring to metal detectors. It doesn't specify xrays. I believe hey will show up on xrays, especially the spouts.

Archived