Pacific Jewel's J032 delayed

karmac

Pacidic Jewel's J032 cruise due to leave on Tuesday has been delayed at least until Wednesday due to a technical fault that has caused her to reduce her speed. I have a couple of linedancing friends going on this one (there are 120 linedancers going) so I guess they'll now be at dancing n Tuesday night icon_smile.gif

And when she comes back from the Melbourne Cup cruise is going into drydock to fix the stabilisers.

Pacific Jewel J034 Cancellation

Pacific Jewel J034, due to depart Sydney on 5 November 2010, has been cancelled. This is to allow Pacific Jewel to go into dry dock to enable the replacement of a key part in one of the ship’s two stabilisers

She left Noumea about an hour or so ago.

Part of a P&O post

I am writing to you with some important information in regards to .......Pacific Jewel cruise, J031, which was due to return to Sydney on Tuesday 19 October.

A fault was identified in Pacific Jewel’s propulsion system on Friday 15 October, which delayed the departure of Pacific Jewel from Noumea on Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, this resulted in the cancellation of Pacific Jewel’s final call to Emerald Bay (Poum, New Caledonia), scheduled for today.

Technicians have continued to work on the technical fault while alongside in Noumea, however it is not possible for them to complete the work in Noumea. Therefore, Pacific Jewel will now be returning direct to Sydney.

Please be assured that Pacific Jewel is perfectly safe to sail, but will need to maintain a reduced cruising speed for her return to Sydney. As a result, Pacific Jewel is now expected to arrive at Wharf 5 Darling Harbour on Wednesday morning, instead of Tuesday morning as scheduled.

P&O Cruises provided AUD$50 on board credit to every passenger aged over 13 years of age in compensation for the changed itinerary. Claim forms have also been distributed on board, so passengers can claim for any out of pocket expenses they may incur as a result of this delayed arrival.

Passengers on board are being kept up to date of the expected arrival time....... .

For regular updates, you can call our Arrivals and Departures Infoline on (AU) 1300 653 620 or (NZ) 0800 543 429.

P&O Cruises apologises for this unexpected change to your cruise holiday.

Hey guys,

I'm part of the poor people stuck here on the cruise for an extra day, I've heard a couple of whingers, but most people are quite happy, Not going to complain about an extra $50 per person + an extra day on the cruise + an extra day away from work :P. Our room attendant came to us this morning and told us they didn't want to let us go coz they loved us to much :P

Hey guys,

I'm part of the poor people stuck here on the cruise for an extra day, I've heard a couple of whingers, but most people are quite happy, Not going to complain about an extra $50 per person + an extra day on the cruise + an extra day away from work :P. Our room attendant came to us this morning and told us they didn't want to let us go coz they loved us to much :P

Great to hear from you on board...

Enjoy your extra day:)

Hi there. We were due to depart on this cruise next Tuesday and would be interested in hearing from anyone on board at the moment as to what you're being told about the extent of delay for PJ when she reaches Sydney. Has the crew/P & O told you anything?

Thanks in advance.

Pacidic Jewel's J032 cruise due to leave on Tuesday has been delayed at least until Wednesday due to a technical fault that has caused her to reduce her speed. I have a couple of linedancing friends going on this one (there are 120 linedancers going) so I guess they'll now be at dancing n Tuesday night icon_smile.gif

hoping for some help here, we are booked to fly up Tuesday am for this cruise, and will need a suggestion for somewhere to stay perhaps close by overnight.

My partner and I are really upset by this delay as it is so rare for us to be able to coordinate a holiday away, so to have it shortened quite frankly, sucks. (We Have to have pet sitters which costs heaps as well as getting the time off work, as I breed/show dogs and cats, google Fairlea British if you would like to see them) A $50 credit on our cruise card just wont cut it, we will have a stack of extra expenses due to it. hotel, dinner, extra taxi trips

And just luckily that I receive my work emails now thru my iphone as well or otherwise I wouldn't have even been aware of what was going on until I go to work on Monday, which would have left even less time to try to coordinate alternatives. Any suggestions of something nice to do in Sydney would also be appreciated. As I didn't do any research on Sydney.

Also since we are delayed does this mean they will cut one of our stops out?

really appreciate advice from the experienced cruisers

thanks in advance

Kerry

hoping for some help here, we are booked to fly up Tuesday am for this cruise, and will need a suggestion for somewhere to stay perhaps close by overnight.

My partner and I are really upset by this delay as it is so rare for us to be able to coordinate a holiday away, so to have it shortened quite frankly, sucks. (We Have to have pet sitters which costs heaps as well as getting the time off work, as I breed/show dogs and cats, google Fairlea British if you would like to see them) A $50 credit on our cruise card just wont cut it, we will have a stack of extra expenses due to it. hotel, dinner, extra taxi trips

And just luckily that I receive my work emails now thru my iphone as well or otherwise I wouldn't have even been aware of what was going on until I go to work on Monday, which would have left even less time to try to coordinate alternatives. Any suggestions of something nice to do in Sydney would also be appreciated. As I didn't do any research on Sydney.

thanks in advance

Kerry

When the Dawn was delayed recently P&O put people up in a hotel I think and provided shuttles etc. I would call P&O and ask what you should do.

thanks in advance

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

On previous occasions when this has happened P & O has paid passengers' extra expenses and provided an on-board credit for a proportion of the cruise fare.

As someone else suggested, I think you should contact P & O because they might have booked rooms in a hotel for you. They might also give you an option of flying into Sydney a day later with them paying the extra for the changed flight time.

It sounds as if you and your partner will appreciate a holiday together, so maybe if you have the extra day in Sydney just look at this as the start of the holiday and enjoy yourselves there. As to what to do in Sydney - there is so much, but it depends on what you would like.

Hello everyone,

Having been a regular reader of these forums for some time I thought it was time to get off my deck chair and get typing.

My wife and I are booked on the J032 trip and it looks like a delay at best, the worst case I don't want to consider. Oh well, that's all part of cruising; things break down, things go wrong, just look on this as part of the holiday adventure and make the best of it. After all, one lost day would have been worse if it had been a shorter cruise!

And we were also on the Dawn when it wouldn't start in Noumea last year !!

Best regards

Solas

thanks in advance

Kerry

Kerry, yes I expect you will lose one port on your cruise, unfortunately. Looking at your itinerary, I suspect it will probably be the call at Luganville, as they could go straight to your second port, Wala, and have you back on schedule. If that's the case, from what I've heard you won't be missing much. Of all the ports on your cruise, that is probaby the least "attractive" port.

Hello everyone,

Having been a regular reader of these forums for some time I thought it was time to get off my deck chair and get typing.

My wife and I are booked on the J032 trip and it looks like a delay at best, the worst case I don't want to consider. Oh well, that's all part of cruising; things break down, things go wrong, just look on this as part of the holiday adventure and make the best of it. After all, one lost day would have been worse if it had been a shorter cruise!

Best regards Solas

Hi Solas, and welcome to Cruise Critic....

Sorry about the delay on your cruise, but as you say thats the way it goes.

Kerry, yes I expect you will lose one port on your cruise, unfortunately. Looking at your itinerary, I suspect it will probably be the call at Luganville, as they could go straight to your second port, Wala, and have you back on schedule. If that's the case, from what I've heard you won't be missing much. Of all the ports on your cruise, that is probaby the least "attractive" port.

Kerry if it is Luganville, then yep, you won't be missing much. Did one of the first cruises there a couple of years back and everything was so disorganized:(. No doubt it will be better done now but it wasn't one of the 'beautiful' places we'd seen.:(

Kerri

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Solas

Hi Solas,

Love your attitude....nobody can help bad luck...machinery breaks down...its unfortunate ..not sabotage which some seem to think.

If you miss Laguville ...trust me you wont regret it.It has potential to be ok in future but it needs to do a lot.Its the only port that I have felt uncomfortable in.

Cheers

Col

Hi there. We were due to depart on this cruise next Tuesday and would be interested in hearing from anyone on board at the moment as to what you're being told about the extent of delay for PJ when she reaches Sydney. Has the crew/P & O told you anything?

Thanks in advance.

We've been getting daily updates from the Captain as well as the crew in the morning and in the afternoon, its a problem with the propeller or something like that, it means that our speed has been slowed right down, and we're taking a less direct route in order to avoid all bad weather, The captain has assured us that it is perfectly safe to sail, just that it would be taking us longer (P.s, The Captain literally just walked past me as I typed this post from the Atrium...lol)

Selfish me would love a few extra days at sea at nil cost...but I feel sorry for those who are looking forward to getting on. I would go with the flow...check with P & O if they are going to put you up in Sydney start your vacation there, play tourist in one of the loveliest cities anywhere. Do a tour of the Opera House, check out the Sydney Museum, the Powerhouse Museum, lunch in the Rocks, take a bus to Bondi and do the cliff walk to Bronte and bus back to the Quay. Lots of choices. Ferry to Manly and eat fish and chips and walk around the path to Fairy Bower for a coffee..or go to the Fish Markets in Darling Harbour for lovely fresh seafood. Catch a show at Star City.Have a meal at Phillips Foote in the Rocks, wonderful beer garden, great atmosphere. Remember to ask for a Day Tripper ticket which covers all public transport, bus, ferry or train all day. You cant change whats happened so you may as well enjoy it.:)

Selfish me would love a few extra days at sea at nil cost...but I feel sorry for those who are looking forward to getting on. I would go with the flow...check with P & O if they are going to put you up in Sydney start your vacation there, play tourist in one of the loveliest cities anywhere. Do a tour of the Opera House, check out the Sydney Museum, the Powerhouse Museum, lunch in the Rocks, take a bus to Bondi and do the cliff walk to Bronte and bus back to the Quay. Lots of choices. Ferry to Manly and eat fish and chips and walk around the path to Fairy Bower for a coffee..or go to the Fish Markets in Darling Harbour for lovely fresh seafood. Catch a show at Star City.Have a meal at Phillips Foote in the Rocks, wonderful beer garden, great atmosphere. Remember to ask for a Day Tripper ticket which covers all public transport, bus, ferry or train all day. You cant change whats happened so you may as well enjoy it.:)

... and ask for receipts for everything - accommodation, food & transport.

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Solas

So it was your fault my cruise was shortened last year??:p;):)

Just kidding. We were on the cruise that was supposed to leave on 20th Oct but didn't leave until 21st. Our cruise was identical to the J032 cruise and we missed Luganville.

If the JP is limping back to Sydney, I can't see how they are going to fix the problem and sail again that day. Especially when they couldn't fix the problem in Noumea. Maybe she will go into Dry Dock early.:confused:

It is a worry , as the next cruise is timed for the Melbourne Cup Cruise.

If the JP is limping back to Sydney, I can't see how they are going to fix the problem and sail again that day. Especially when they couldn't fix the problem in Noumea. Maybe she will go into Dry Dock early.:confused:

They'll work on her all day ready for sailing that afternoon. Whatever they need will be at the dock ready and waiting for the repairs. Repairs happen quite often on P&O:rolleyes:

Archived