Funicular in Bergen

cruise saint

We are on Azura to the Norwegian Fjords on 7th May. We'd like to do a trip on the Funicular and were wondering if it is easy to do it yourself are would we be better to do the ship's excursion? How far from the port to the funicular? Is it easy to pick up the trails to have a walk once you get up Mount Floyen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is very easy to organise yourself. You have several options.... 1.Turn up on the day and queue to buy your ticket. Certain times of the day are busier than others, so you do take your chance. We tended to get off the ship relatively early and go first thing before the organised tours get there....... 2. Go early to the station and buy your ticket for use later in the day. There is an entrance for 'Ticket holders' so you go through this entrance rather than the other sometimes long queue for the ticket office.......... 3. Go to the Tourist office where there may not be a long queue and buy your tickets to use as in the previous option .. .....or 4. Buy your tickets on line in advance and do same. You do not book for a specific time, just for the day. When up the top, there are signs back down to the town. We enjoyed our walk down, but make sure you have comfortable shoes and are sure footed as there is some slippery uneven terrain.

Sorry I have to make a separate post of this, but I can't seem to do paragraphs on here. :( ....... The ship sometimes berths near to the cannons where it is an easy and a very pleasant walk into the town and to the Funicular. If they use the other berth, there will be a free shuttle to town as that part of the port is industrial and passengers are not allowed to walk through. I have been twice now and have berthed both times near to the cannons.

We picked up an excellent map of the walking trails at the top of Mt Floyen from the tourist office (before it was relocated to the portacabin style structure on the harbour side - opposite side to the Bridge). They weren't on display and we had to ask but if they're still available the map is excellent. There are lots of trails in the attractive parkland.

We picked up an excellent map of the walking trails at the top of Mt Floyen from the tourist office (before it was relocated to the portacabin style structure on the harbour side - opposite side to the Bridge). They weren't on display and we had to ask but if they're still available the map is excellent. There are lots of trails in the attractive parkland.

Just found this link which may give you some ideas of potential walks.

http://floyen.no/en/walks-hikes-floyen/

We've walked down and it does take quite a while as it's a zig-zag route so you are walking a long way compared with the direct up-down distance. I'd guestimate 45 mins to an hour though we weren't hurrying. We just had to follow our noses though - not sure if there's a more direct walk - we stuck to the roads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know how long it would take to walk UP (assume that I am reasonably fit)

Thanks

Having just returned from a cruise that stopped in Bergen I can confirm the time required to walk up and down!

It took 55 minutes to walk from the City centre to the top and 40 minutes to walk down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums