Packing for a 40 night cruise - help

petlady7

Hi

We live in France but will be boarding at Southampton so need to fly to UK first , so we will have the normal 20-23 kg luggage allowance each on the airline , any idea how we can pack for 40 nights with formal nights too ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Zoe

I'd also suggest taking hand luggage each which can range from 5-11kg depending which carrier you fly with.

Don't know what ship you'll be on but there will probably be self service laundry on board so you can get some washing and drying done while away.

I tend to take evening clothes that I can mix and match and a nice pair of sparkly evening sandals that I use for all evenings. Saves taking lots of different shoes.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will get toiletries in your cabin & would take small containers of those you take. You can buy more when ashore.

Last time we did a fly cruise we paid to take another case, made life a lot easier;p

Th extra case would make life easy and the tips above re shoes and toiletries are spot on as they add considerably to the weight.

Buy an ultralight case, some can be just over 2 kilos.

Wear any heavy / bulky items when travelling so heaviest shoes on your feet, carry jacket with you etc.

Go for a capsule Wardrope if you can with the same colour schemes and tones to mix and match. Don't know what your evening wear is like but I have a floor length skirt and take different silk jackets for formals when flying which means the same shoes etc and less weight

If you are a standard size then there is always the option to buy additional clothes on the ship or in port, shopping is always fun and if you would be over your allowance for the way back then you can always post back some items to your self. (Sometimes less than the excess baggage cost)

Lastly a friend of ours buys cheap daywear for on holiday / a cruise and throws it out as he goes along leaving room for the new things he buys so that he can ring the changes. A bit wasteful l in my opinion but it works for him.

Buy shampoo and conditioners or any hair products in Southampton that saves a bit of weight, if you are a reader use a kindle not books. Don't take hair drier use P & O's they are okay and I've got very long hair.

I always take a laptop bag (with laptop and i pads) and slip something heavyish in. I also take hand luggage up to my limit and my handbag which is always a bit heavy with the odd thing or 2 that saves a bit of weight in the main luggage.

Hope this helps I you have any hair products left over I give them to the room steward or stewardess they are always very grateful

Even without a flight, gone are the days when I pack multiple handbags and shoes. My evening bag doubles up as the first-aid/medication kit, I take one pair of flat ballerina type shoes for evenings which go with all outfits. I take various tops for evening casual nights which get paired with trousers - then I re-wear the top in the daytime with jeans. I also have a rule: aside from evening wear I don't take clothes I don't wear regularly at home, this is because I have found that I always reach for what I feel comfortable with and if I don't wear things much at home I tend not to wear it on holiday - this helps to avoid taking things I won't wear. Coats - I found if I take a classy coat the only time I wear it is boarding and it quickly gets ditched in favour of fleeces and a weather proof jacket, so I leave the good coat at home. I hope some of this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lucky you! Capsule wardrobe essential for daytime. Navy is lovely for cruising. Layers, light weight fleece, comfy shoes/trainers plus Gillet to go in. Like a previous poster I usually take the fancy designer mac to wear on-board and never wear it until I disembark . For evening formal a black dress can look different with a varying necklaces/ jewellery. I like the white/black pants with silk tops or silk dresses to keep the weight down. You can always buy anything extra at the ports/ on-board. The on-board toiletries (White Stuff) are lovely plus hair dryer supplied. Sea sickness ,odd pharmacy items plus hair spray available from the on-board shop and there's always the laundry room. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening separates are the easiest way to go - evening trousers and skirts can be mixed and matched with different tops and believe me, no one will notice if you wear something more than once!

Ditch the formal nights. Controversial I know but ditching the clothing (and shoes) required for formal nights will free up a lot of space and reduce weight. You did ask! While the above suggestions are good for female clothing you cannot get around the bulk caused by men's dinner jackets and shoes for which there are no alternatives.

Hi

We live in France but will be boarding at Southampton so need to fly to UK first , so we will have the normal 20-23 kg luggage allowance each on the airline , any idea how we can pack for 40 nights with formal nights too ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Zoe

Could you purchase extra bag(s) with the airline?

The free onboard launderettes are good you just need to be organised - so all your casual stuff and underwear can be washed multiple times for the cost of buying some tablets onboard or taking some with you for the machines. Posh stuff you can use the laundry service if needed. I have washed my formal shirts and ironed them to wear them twice no issues. I was usually the only bloke in the launderettes thou.... use a local shop on your first port of call to top any toiletries you miss if you dont have time in southhampton or the onboard shop isnt too expensive.