Canaries duty free ?

Calders

Done a mini cruise last year and Guernsey was our first port of call, duty free was open for the first two days and fags and alcohol bargains were piled high until we left Guernsey and announcement came over the tannoy that duty free would now be closed for the rest of the cruise as we had gone from being a non eu cruise to a eu cruise we have just booked on Ventura to the canaries, Madeira, Portugal in July and was wondering how the duty free would work.

the non duty free part effects all on board spend not just bottles to bring home. They will add VAT to everything.

Had that happen to us last year, we only stopped in Zeebruge so no non EU ports. VAT was added to everything we bought even down to the photo I bought.

I think as your going to the Canaries that part makes it duty free.

Someone else might like to confirm that is the case.

I have just returned from the same itinerary and partner bought tobacco from a shop on the quayside in Tenerife. We had checked prices in every port and this was by far the best price. It was half the price. If you get off the ship no need to get the shuttle bus just walk along the port and there are a couple of shops - one just for tobacco. Didn't check the cigarette price as we bought Golden Virginia.

The Canary Islands are outside the EU duty area and therefore anything purchased there and brought back to the UK will be subject to duty free limits.

Madeira is within the EU duty area and thus not subject to duty free limits.

Brian

The Canary Islands are outside the EU duty area and therefore anything purchased there and brought back to the UK will be subject to duty free limits.

Madeira is within the EU duty area and thus not subject to duty free limits.

Brian

Yes I was going to say the same so surprized you were told different on the cruise.

when we done the mini cruise the ships duty free shop was only open for the first day as we sailed to Guernsey and was closed for the rest of the cruise, as we are now doing the canaries would the duty free open and close according to which port we're visiting or stay open for the duration of the cruise, thanks for your replays.

Its always been my assumption that if one port is outside the eu then its duty free onboard for the whole cruise.

So would be surprised if they shut the duty free shops after the one non eu port.

Not wishing to a be a wet blanket and everyone loves a bargain, but just a word of warning about dirt-cheap tobacco products in Spain/the Canaries - beware of forgeries in which the tobacco has been adulterated with harmful products, or which contain no tobacco at all.

An acquaintance of mine works for Customs and Excise and he told me recently that an awful lot of the cheap tobacco/cigarettes finding their way onto the UK market and being sold on markets and through corner shops originate in Spain.

Not wishing to a be a wet blanket and everyone loves a bargain, but just a word of warning about dirt-cheap tobacco products in Spain/the Canaries - beware of forgeries in which the tobacco has been adulterated with harmful products, or which contain no tobacco at all.

An acquaintance of mine works for Customs and Excise and he told me recently that an awful lot of the cheap tobacco/cigarettes finding their way onto the UK market and being sold on markets and through corner shops originate in Spain.

I was advised by the crew aboard to buy my booze at Morrisons in Gibraltar. That way you know it won't send you blind :eek:

similar for cheap baccy ?

I was advised by the crew aboard to buy my booze at Morrisons in Gibraltar. That way you know it won't send you blind :eek:

If you buy a known brand in a supermarket chain in the Canaries it's no more likely to be a fake than buying it in Gib.

I've seen TV programmes where fake bottles have been found in Tesco in the U.K.

This kind head's up, will sadly be dismissed. For some people their main thought is, if it's cheap, I'm having it.

Its always been my assumption that if one port is outside the eu then its duty free onboard for the whole cruise.

So would be surprised if they shut the duty free shops after the one non eu port.

Quite correct only one port needed for all the cruise to be a DF cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums