NCL Jewel laundry

ohfan

We'll be on the Jewel for 14 days in Oct/Nov and obviously laundry could be a problem. I know there is an on board laundry for guests, but I also heard that it is no longer in use. Is that true? What is the cost of having it done by the ships laundry? Thanks for your help.

Just got off the Jewel after 12 days in the Baltics. We packed for cooler weather, but ended up with GREAT weather (in the 70's every day) - and found we didn't have enough warm weather clothes.

Twice during the cruise, they placed a "$25 Laundry Special" bag in the room. The first showed up on Day 4, we turned it in on Day 5 and got it back on Day 6, and then there was another one on about Day 8 or 9 (we didn't do that one).

Basically, shove as much as you can into the bag and they'll launder it and return it folded for $25. I think we got about 20 - 22 pieces of clothing into it. They also have standard laundry service, like in a hotel, but it was something like $5 per shirt, so the special was really a good deal.

There are no self-serve laundry services on the Jewel.

I'm going to ditto exactly what pbadeer wrote. (we did the 12 day baltic at the end of June). except that I used the service twice.. .. I handed in my bag early on the morning of the first bag day and didn't get it back until mid day 2 days later (should have gotten it back no later than the after noon of the 1st day after.. however, they made up for it on the 2nd bag.. which, again, I gave in early.. as in told my cabin steward it was there, instead of waiting for them to find it on the bed.. and i had it back that evening.. I don't know if it helped that I was in a suite, but .. they charged me for the first one, even though it wasn't returned on time (I did hear some excuse about having it, but we were never in the cabin to receive it (didn't have to be).. )..

and yes there is no longer a laundry on board for guests.. not happy about that.. I made up for it by purchasing a bottle of cold water wash and doing our "fine washables", if you know what I mean.. and hanging them on the balcony (I doubt NCL was happy about that, but 3 children and 2 adults need clean "fine washables".. especially when gone way away from home for 3 weeks in total.

Typical timing on getting your laundry back is for example. If you give it to them anytime on a wednesday for instance, it will be back typically between 5-6 on Friday. Roll-up all of your laundry. You can get more in the bag. Don't worry if it overflows, they will take it anyway. Nothign comes back on hangers. They do a good job.:)

I don't think any of the NCL ships have a self-service laundry anymore.

We were on the Jewel in October and used the $25/bag laundry service twice, without a problem. We made sure the bag was out of the cabin by 10 in the morning, and the clothes were returned, cleaned and folded, by 6 the next night, both times.

I don't go on vacation to do laundry! :o

We got off the Spirit in the beginning of August and they had a $45.00 laundry special. As much laundry for 1 cabin for the cruise. That was a good deal and we put our clothes in the bag(s) at night and we got our clothes back the next night clean and folded. It was great!!!!! Hopefully they have something like this on your cruise!

When did they do away with the self service laundry? We were on the Jewel last year - 9 nights - and the laundry room was great. It was close and I used it several times.

Well, I was on in October, 2008, and there was no self-service laundry then.

I would have preferred to do my own laundry actually.. I don't go on holiday to do Laundry either, but when you are away from home for 3 weeks.. 5 people.. and limited clothing allowance, I wouldn't have minded taking the time to do it or even washing in my cabin, in the sink and being able to use a dryer.. especially if I have to pay 2.00 to 4.00usd ever time my child spills something on a shirt or more for pants/jeans etc.. (just call me a tight wade..) and then have to wait a full day to get the items back..

I think the cruise lines need to understand what people want.. on a 7 day cruise, maybe no laundry but anything over 10 days.. yes.. just my opinion.

When did they do away with the self service laundry? We were on the Jewel last year - 9 nights - and the laundry room was great. It was close and I used it several times.

The self-serve laundrys were removed from all NCL ships sometime between August and November 2008. The reason stated for the action was a safety issue.

So sometimes the laundry special is $25, othertimes its $45?? :confused: Anyone have an idea on when/why the price changes?

$25 seems reasonable, but $45 is a little steep for me. But I don't want to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes. I'd like to factor the cost of laundry into my budget, but the price doesn't seem consistent.

So sometimes the laundry special is $25, othertimes its $45?? :confused: Anyone have an idea on when/why the price changes?

$25 seems reasonable, but $45 is a little steep for me. But I don't want to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes. I'd like to factor the cost of laundry into my budget, but the price doesn't seem consistent.

I believe the $45 special that was mentioned was for an unlimited amount of laundry, while the $25 special was for all you can stuff in a single bag.

By the way, I've not been on a ship that offered the $45 version.

The $45 was unlimited, not per bag. A great deal that we took advantage of as there were 4 of us in the cabin. I have never been on a cruise with the $45 deal always the $25. per bag. I hope that helped you out!

Yes it did, thanks. So it looks like the $25 special is pretty standard, so I'll plan on that. I do see how the $45 can be deal though if you if you have a lot of people or clothes. I'm a minimalist packer myself, so 1 sack will be plenty for the wife and I!

Personally, I was disappointed to discover they did away with the self wash. I was planning to do it myself. But $25 isn't a bad deal to have someone else do it I suppose. After all, I should be at the pool, not in the laundry room when I'm on vacation! :cool:

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me if they offer the $25 special on 7 night cruises? We'll be on the Star next weekend and am trying to limit the amount of clothes we bring. Thanks!

I can't speak with certainty about the Star, but NCL has had it on all three 7 days cruises I've taken in the past year, one each on the Dawn, Gem and Majesty, so my guess is it will be available on the Star.

I was on the Jewel one year ago, and I believe it still had the laundermats. However, the ship was recovering from noro outbreaks on the two previous cruises, and they announced that the self-service laundrys were closed, but....we could have a bag of laundry done compliments of the ship. What a great deal!

Perhaps that had sometihing to do with them permanently closing them?

The reason why NCL closed its self serve laundrys is to avoid a very stiff Coast Guard fine. People overloaded the washers and dryers to save time causing wet floors. People left their laundry unattended to enjoy the cruise, causing others to dump their clothes on the floor who didn't wait. Frankly, for NCL they were more trouble that what they were worth.

Simply put, we have met the enemy and found its us....

the illnesses onboard cruise ships are waterborn. So after the 1000 person GAS illness on Jewel October 2008, they closed all laundry rooms on all ships. We were part of the lucky folks cruising to Canada the following week & what a mess service, meals, the buffet, ice cream, all was protected from the virus that may still be alive on the ship.

They have bags that you roll clothes to get more in for $25 each.

We'll be on the Jewel for 14 days in Oct/Nov and obviously laundry could be a problem. I know there is an on board laundry for guests, but I also heard that it is no longer in use. Is that true? What is the cost of having it done by the ships laundry? Thanks for your help.

the illnesses onboard cruise ships are waterborn. So after the 1000 person GAS illness on Jewel October 2008, they closed all laundry rooms on all ships. We were part of the lucky folks cruising to Canada the following week & what a mess service, meals, the buffet, ice cream, all was protected from the virus that may still be alive on the ship.

While there may have been some instances of water borne disease outbreaks, the CDC does NOT say that is the primary cause. Please read this from the CDC, and related pages on their Web site:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Norovirus/Norovirus.htm

Here's one excerpt from that page:

How noroviruses are spread

People can become infected with the virus by:

Eating food or drinking liquids infected with noroviruses

Touching surfaces or objects infected with noroviruses and then touching own mouth, nose, or eyes

Having person-to-person contact (with a norovirus-infected person) by

being present while someone is vomiting

sharing food or eating from the same utensils

caring for a sick person

shaking hands

Not washing hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

How many pairs of jeans can you get in one of these bags?

If you're as fat as I am, not many. ;)

My wife (who is definitely not fat) and I usually manage to cram about $75 or $80 worth (based on their per piece pricing) of laundry into the bag...maybe about 15-18 items in total...a mix of shirts, shorts, pants usually.

While there may have been some instances of water borne disease outbreaks, the CDC does NOT say that is the primary cause. Please read this from the CDC, and related pages on their Web site:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Norovirus/Norovirus.htm

Here's one excerpt from that page:

How noroviruses are spread

People can become infected with the virus by:

Eating food or drinking liquids infected with noroviruses

Touching surfaces or objects infected with noroviruses and then touching own mouth, nose, or eyes

Having person-to-person contact (with a norovirus-infected person) by

being present while someone is vomiting

sharing food or eating from the same utensils

caring for a sick person

shaking hands

Not washing hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

By the way, there was not a 1000 person outbreak on the Jewel in 2008. Per the CDC there were outbreaks on two Jewel cruises, one affecting 144 passengers, the other 86 passengers:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

Archived