New to SD - Almalfi 2016

Yvie

I have been researching travel for DH and I next year to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We are in our late 50's. I discovered Seadream Yacht Club and the June 4, 2016 Rome to Rome cruise on Sea Dream II which includes the Amalfi coast seems like a perfect fit.

I have read some really good reviews, and some not so good regarding maintenance and decor. I don't mind dated decor as a trade-off for a great trip experience.

A few questions: We usually plan and book our own travel including cruises. I have read through several threads on this board, and would like to know if anyone has had problems booking on their own or if using a travel agent is recommended. We usually buy our own trip insurance and make our own flight arrangements.

Has anyone sailed this itinerary or is booked on this cruise?

Any other info/tips from experienced cruisers would be appreciated.

We've never been on a boat this small before other than an AMA river cruise last year through the south of France that we really enjoyed.

SeaDream is VERY different than your previous cruise experiences. It's like sailing on a friend's low key yacht. If you like, utilize, and expect all the entertainment, dining, and shopping options on the big ships, SD may not be the best option.

Kind of hard to explain SD, but if you want a relaxing time, with zero lines for anything, with just your fellow passengers to annoy as entertainment, then SD woud be perfect. As an example, they will run a tender back to the ship just for you. And there are only 18 loungers on the pool deck, and they are rarely all taken (unless ho-hum is aboard and his syncophant entourage is hogging them all to listen to his every word...).

Big plus of SD is going to the small ports the big ships can't get to.

Booking through SD is easy.

Word of advice, when on SD, if you want something, just ask any of the crew. They will do just about anything for you, but they are not mind readers, nor do they fawn over the guests. Pretend it is your yacht for the week. Example, I was up at 4 am watching a late sail away (jet lag) and felt like some coffee. Just picked up the phone at one of the bars and asked for room service. They brought me out a carafe of coffee and some pasteries. Sat out on deck slurping coffee and watching the caribbean sunrise!

By all means, book the cruise, but just be prepared for a totally different experience than what you are used to. But be warned, you may find it difficult to go back to the megaships:D

PS - if you find you like the small ship experience, consider the Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos, it was our favorite cruise. In fact we are thinking of booking the alternate "outer loop" itinerary in 2017. But be aware the Xpedition books up way in advance and is very pricey. But worth skipping a normal cruise to save up the pennies for!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Ragnar (aka: Sundance) is right again. From looking at your previous cruises you list, Sun Viking is the only one that could remotely relate to SeaDream. In the day it was known for fine food and service as well. Read lots of the reviews of cruises on this board and you should get a good feel for the SeaDream life. We share one of your past cruises in that we also sailed on the old Carnivale. It was much different than the current Carnival product!:D

Thank you! The laid back experience is just what we are looking for. My husband is already sold after watching some youtube clips.

We sailed on Royal Caribbean for many years because there were a lot of activities for our son and he cruised with us. Now that he is grown and out on his own we are looking for new experiences. We actually prefer just relaxing, reading etc.

The Galapagos cruise is also on our future cruise list.

The Sun Viking was our honeymoon cruise.

The Carnivale experience was something else! I went with a girlfiriend and we were in a cabin with two girls we had never met; four bunks in the room. It was quite the party boat back then with crew members and officers co-mingling with the passengers.

I have been researching travel for DH and I next year to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We are in our late 50's. I discovered Seadream Yacht Club and the June 4, 2016 Rome to Rome cruise on Sea Dream II which includes the Amalfi coast seems like a perfect fit.

I have read some really good reviews, and some not so good regarding maintenance and decor. I don't mind dated decor as a trade-off for a great trip experience.

A few questions: We usually plan and book our own travel including cruises. I have read through several threads on this board, and would like to know if anyone has had problems booking on their own or if using a travel agent is recommended. We usually buy our own trip insurance and make our own flight arrangements.

Has anyone sailed this itinerary or is booked on this cruise?

Any other info/tips from experienced cruisers would be appreciated.

We've never been on a boat this small before other than an AMA river cruise last year through the south of France that we really enjoyed.

You read of dated decor Yvie. Really ?

HH will be honest, the decor is pretty standard but HH would'nt say it is dated. Classic in style, HH would describe it.

Anyone else wanna chip in ?

HH always uses a TA for extra insurance and assistance: they do the flights too unless we have air miles we must use up.

HH does his own (top notch) insurance: again for extra "comfort" in case of ....... Well who knows ?

Yes HH has sailed this a couple of times and it is utterly charming and truly a lovely voyage. HH would happily do it every summer.

Link:

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21624

87b15277-9287-4fd3-91d2-284cd828c64e_zps6szgoule.jpg

And so convenient, relying on the one airport: Rome.

Great hotels in Rome. Fantastic restaurants. But in June it will be busy.

What you do depends on what you are pre-disposed to. Activities, sight-seeing, taking it easy, wining and dining.

Check out the land adventures, they are already posted on the website. Maybe there's something there that "takes your fancy".

HH is a mid-morning "moocher". He and Blondie (Hum's "hoocher coocher") take the tender, mooch around and back for lunch.....yes terribly dull are'nt we.....but the coastline from the boat with a glass of champagne...aaaaahhhhhh. Bellissimo !

SD is ideal for the destinations. A bulky "people container" ship simply looks out of place.

You will love it. Euro exchange rate is good too at the moment (for pound sterling at least). So buy your Euros now.

Ragnar, in addition to room service for coffee at 4am, there is usually a pot of coffee on the bridge. We sailed past Gibraltar at 5am, coming on deck in our SD pajamas. Captain Bjarne invited us in for a cup. Try that on Royal Caribbean.

Like ho-hum, we always book through our TA, who also gets the insurance. We have a policy where you pay as you go. Each time you put down more money, or buy plane tickets, you add to the premium. That way you are only insuring what you stand to lose.

Zimmy's DH

Yvie, is your 30th WA whilst you are onboard ?

If so, what date ?

No it is actually May 17, so though we consider this our anniversary cruise, it is actually a few weeks prior.

ho-hum, thanks for the helpful tips. I always appreciate the advice I get from fellow CC's.

The poor reviews were actually on the member reviews part of this website, but I don't always give much weight to those. I think they will always be skewed a little towards the complainers, because they are more likely to post a review than those who have had a great time.

Classic in style, HH would describe it.

Yes, Mr. Hum it is rather "timeless" and yacht like. Except for the Zombies arising from the Blue Lagoon artwork in the Main Salon.:eek: Did you help Mrs. B pick them out?? I am sure your "Hoocher Kootcher" has better taste.:D

Ragnar, in addition to room service for coffee at 4am, there is usually a pot of coffee on the bridge. We sailed past Gibraltar at 5am, coming on deck in our SD pajamas. Captain Bjarne invited us in for a cup. Try that on Royal Caribbean.

Like ho-hum, we always book through our TA, who also gets the insurance. We have a policy where you pay as you go. Each time you put down more money, or buy plane tickets, you add to the premium. That way you are only insuring what you stand to lose.

Zimmy's DH

Just bloody love hearing these kind of stories about SD......IT's frigging marvelous, aint it ?

No it is actually May 17, so though we consider this our anniversary cruise, it is actually a few weeks prior.

Any objections to a cake from all of us here on SD CC ?

Which evening suits you ?

Classic in style, HH would describe it.

Yes, Mr. Hum it is rather "timeless" and yacht like. Except for the Zombies arising from the Blue Lagoon artwork in the Main Salon.:eek: Did you help Mrs. B pick them out?? I am sure your "Hoocher Kootcher" has better taste.:D

HH loves those prints (not paintings) ...... Yes HK has great taste !

Moi

HH loves those prints (not paintings) ...... Yes HK has great taste !

Moi

Those paintings just make me think of the bioluminescent bay in Puerto Rico which we swam in one year while on SD (they don't let you do it anymore). So to me, the paintings seem appropriate because they trigger a good memory. But if I had never experienced the bioluminescent pond, I would think they were a bit weird.

Zimmy

Those paintings just make me think of the bioluminescent bay in Puerto Rico which we swam in one year while on SD (they don't let you do it anymore). So to me, the paintings seem appropriate because they trigger a good memory. But if I had never experienced the bioluminescent pond, I would think they were a bit weird.

Zimmy

Weird ?

Not if you imbibed Jim's local tequila beforehand !

Any objections to a cake from all of us here on SD CC ?

Which evening suits you ?

What a generous, kind, thoughtful gesture! I'm truly touched.

I haven't booked yet though... since I don't usually use a travel agent, trying to decide on one probably through Amex travel; could use a travel agents help on private transfers from airport to Rome pre-cruise, Rome to port, and port to airport; as well as a nice,centrally located hotel in Rome (with a/c). Would like to either tour Vatican or Villa Borghese, places we couldn't fit in on our last visit to Rome.

Since our flight will be an overnight one, we are planning on leaving June 1, arriving in Rome June 2. One day to recover, then sightseeing June 3, checking out of hotel June 4 to go to the port. We are thinking of staying at the airport Hilton overnight once we disembark. The return flight we want to book leaves at 10:55 a.m. and I thought that would be cutting things too close with a 45-60 min. ride to the airport for arrival 2 hours before our plane departs.

What time do passengers usually leave the ship when disembarking?

Any thoughts on cabin selection? I don't see any way of knowing what is available other than contacting Seadream or having a travel agent inquire. I'm thinking of a cabin on deck 3, probably 301 to 310 area so we would be somewhat mid-ship.

What time do they allow passengers to board the ship?

Any thoughts?

Boarding the ship will likely be 2pm. Lately, they have been pretty rigid about that time. (That doesn't keep us from showing up early. That way you get a head start on meeting your fellow passengers, as we did with ho-hum and Blondie last winter.) The nice thing is that it takes all of 5 minutes to get on board to receive your cold towel and glass of bubbly. Disembarkation is another matter. Generally it is between 8 and 10 am, but it is totally dependent upon when the ship docks and when the ship is cleared. In any case, you are probably cutting it too close for a 10:55 flight. Too many variables, e.g., your ride shows up late, heavy traffic, etc. It has been awhile since we docked at Civitavecchia, but my recollection is that it might be quite a distance from the ship to where your car is meeting you.

As for cabins, my preference is deck 3, as is DW's. Try to avoid the cabins that convert to Commodore Suites. They are less soundproof and you loose a shelf and drawers along that wall. I also prefer the port side. If the ship docks, it will always be on the starboard side and you might not have a great view out your window. Or someone might have a great view into your window.

Zimmy's DH

Thanks Zimmy! Very helpful information to know when making my transportation arrangements. How much earlier would you suggest we show up, or maybe I should ask how much earlier you showed up?

We have been at that port once before, and as I recall only certain drivers/companies can get into the port for pick-up and drop-off.

How can I tell which cabins convert to commodore suites? I've studied the deck plans, but can't tell which cabins to avoid.

We like deck 2 so you can hear the water -- and it's a bit more stable if there is "motion in the ocean". Deck 3 is also nice, but not worth the extra $ unless you have a GTY rate and are lucky enough to be upgraded! We wait until the last minute to get off -- 10:00! We have stayed at the airport Hilton and it is fine. Actually has great pizza from room service! For transportation and touring, I highly recommend Rome Cabs (ROMECABS.com). They are fabulous and can take you right to the ship and pick you up there.

Somewhere there is a drawing showing which cabins can be converted to Commodore -- usually in the middle of the deck. Not sure if you can see them on the deck plans on the website, but your TA should be able to find out. We avoid them for the same reasons as Zimmy' DH explains!

Enjoy!

Vandrefalk

What a generous, kind, thoughtful gesture! I'm truly touched.

I haven't booked yet though... since I don't usually use a travel agent, trying to decide on one probably through Amex travel; could use a travel agents help on private transfers from airport to Rome pre-cruise, Rome to port, and port to airport; as well as a nice,centrally located hotel in Rome (with a/c). Would like to either tour Vatican or Villa Borghese, places we couldn't fit in on our last visit to Rome.

Since our flight will be an overnight one, we are planning on leaving June 1, arriving in Rome June 2. One day to recover, then sightseeing June 3, checking out of hotel June 4 to go to the port. We are thinking of staying at the airport Hilton overnight once we disembark. The return flight we want to book leaves at 10:55 a.m. and I thought that would be cutting things too close with a 45-60 min. ride to the airport for arrival 2 hours before our plane departs.

What time do passengers usually leave the ship when disembarking?

Any thoughts on cabin selection? I don't see any way of knowing what is available other than contacting Seadream or having a travel agent inquire. I'm thinking of a cabin on deck 3, probably 301 to 310 area so we would be somewhat mid-ship.

What time do they allow passengers to board the ship?

Any thoughts?

Maybe this is overkill ..... Zimmy and Vandrefalk have provided some excellent information but here's HHs follow up.

Amex is a good idea.

As is private transfers. HH has a name if it helps.....used him for a while now.

You are right to stay close to airport before return flight.

Passengers usually leave ship between 09.00-09.45am.

Sea will be calm, so mid-ships is not too important nor is level.....down to price in the end.

Hum is a "just inside level 3" guy but never a Commodore (these have demountable walls and have reduced sound quality....important especially if Raggy is next door singin' along with Hank Williams or Lady Gaga....what a racket).

Passengers are allowed on at 14.00pm......not before.

So which night do you want the "surprise" cake ?

What ingredients do you like ?

Dont tell hubby.

Just let us know your cabin, sorry Stateroom number and voila !

No need for real names.

Otherwise you might receive "begging letters" ! Only joking......really.

How much earlier would you suggest we show up, or maybe I should ask how much earlier you showed up?

Certainly not more than 15-30 minutes. There really isn't much of a place to sit and kibbitz, if I remember correctly. And if the weather is less than ideal, much better to arrive shortly after 2 so you can get right on board.

Zimmy's DH

Maybe this is overkill ..... Zimmy and Vandrefalk have provided some excellent information but here's HHs follow up.

Amex is a good idea.

As is private transfers. HH has a name if it helps.....used him for a while now.

Not overkill at all! I welcome all the info/tips I can get from all of you experienced SD cruisers.

Would love a name recommendation for transport! Are you comfortable posting here or via private message?

Just called Seadream reservations and got answers to a lot of my questions. All cabins on deck 3 are booked. A lot of deck 4 is open on the port side. Looks like 402 is next to a stairwell.

Rep said all cabins on deck 4 are yacht club only and not convertible to commodore. Can anyone on here confirm that? Since I've only dealt with larger cruise lines in the past and have received misinformation, I just want to be sure I have correct information before booking.

And thank you all for your patience in answering my many questions!