QM2 refurbished rooms TVs - is HDMI easily accessible?

newcruise

Curious about the refurbished TVs as we like to have access to some favorite videos on our iPad. Do the remotes allow access to HDMI and are the HDMI connections easily accessible? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!

Diane

Curious about the refurbished TVs as we like to have access to some favorite videos on our iPad. Do the remotes allow access to HDMI and are the HDMI connections easily accessible? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!

Diane

It is accessible, but not easily. As I recall the outlet is behind the TV rather than on the side, so as the TV is fixed to the wall you have a bit of a squeeze - I'll check with hubby when he gets home to see if he had any special kind of adaptor.

Hubby says:

You can select the input source on the remote.

The TV does have two (I think) HDMI ports, but they are NOT easily accessible, because the wall TV mount does not allow the TV to be pulled away from the wall or swiveled.

We managed to get our HDMI cable into the HDMI receptacle on the TV after much contortion and severe hand cramps.

His suggestion is that you buy a 90 degree angled adapter so that the HDMI cable can lie parallel to the back of the TV rather than enter it perpendicularly.

This is an example of what you need:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Degree-Female-Adapter/dp/B00CF4G7JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472099405&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+angled+adapter

Hubby says:

You can select the input source on the remote.

The TV does have two (I think) HDMI ports, but they are NOT easily accessible, because the wall TV mount does not allow the TV to be pulled away from the wall or swiveled.

We managed to get our HDMI cable into the HDMI receptacle on the TV after much contortion and severe hand cramps.

His suggestion is that you buy a 90 degree angled adapter so that the HDMI cable can lie parallel to the back of the TV rather than enter it perpendicularly.

This is an example of what you need:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Degree-Female-Adapter/dp/B00CF4G7JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472099405&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+angled+adapter

Wow, Safarigal - you and hubby are just terrific - not just a reply, but also a link to buy what I need! Thank you VERY much and fair winds, smooth sailing to you both!

Diane

Wow, Safarigal - you and hubby are just terrific - not just a reply, but also a link to buy what I need! Thank you VERY much and fair winds, smooth sailing to you both!

Diane

Yes thank you for this info . we have been searching for this.

Not as techy as some. Now have a Tablet, a right angle HDMI connector, an HDMI connector and a Samsung smart TV in my Cabin for the first two legs of the QM2 world cruise in January 2017.

Would welcome some suggestions what I might achieve with the gear since I will not be subscribing to the ships expensive unreliabe WiFi.

Not as techy as some. Now have a Tablet, a right angle HDMI connector, an HDMI connector and a Samsung smart TV in my Cabin for the first two legs of the QM2 world cruise in January 2017.

Would welcome some suggestions what I might achieve with the gear since I will not be subscribing to the ships expensive unreliabe WiFi.

Hi, silverhead6736,

With my iPhone and iPad I have to use a "Digital AV Adapter" to connect my device to a TV to watch my videos. So I need an HDMI cable, the "Digital AV Adapter" (which is quite small) and a TV to stream my videos. I am not sure about other kinds of tablets.

As Platinum World Club members my husband and I each get 4 hours of free (very slow) internet while onboard. However, once ashore my mobile carrier is T-Mobile and I get free text and internet in most countries around the world (not fast enough to watch a video online, but perfectly adequate to send email and texts back home). If you have sailed with Cunard before, you may also be eligible for some free onboard internet - check the World Club perks.

If you post what kind of tablet you have, someone with more technical skill than I may be able to offer more help.

Smooth sailing and fair winds for your world cruise!

Diane

There is an HDMI port on the left side of the TV. It is recessed a bit, but accessible. It is not behind the television, per se, but it is behind about an inch of the TV's frame.

Ah, that makes it much easier! Thanks for your reply.

BTW, I grew up in New Milford, NJ and our towns were often mistaken for one another by acquaintances. As I recall, West Milford was the town that got lots and lots of snow, much to my chagrin when hoping for a snow day off from school!

Fair winds and smooth sailing on your next voyage, and thanks again.

Diane

On our 16 day back to back TA we were prepared with an HDMI cable.

Yes, it is accessible in the Britannia staterooms and we successfully used it.

But in the PG suites, we were unable to reach the outlet as the set is mounted in such a way that it cannot be reached.

So, it depends !

On our 16 day back to back TA we were prepared with an HDMI cable.

Yes, it is accessible in the Britannia staterooms and we successfully used it.

But in the PG suites, we were unable to reach the outlet as the set is mounted in such a way that it cannot be reached.

So, it depends !

Golly! Nothing beats consistency with Cunard, does it? Thank you for the warning.

Diane

Good to find a set that bends both right and left. Until you've experimented you might not know which of the two I'd the one you need (you can buy just a 90 or a 270 adapter, with a 50% chance you've brought the wrong one).

Ah, that makes it much easier! Thanks for your reply.

BTW, I grew up in New Milford, NJ and our towns were often mistaken for one another by acquaintances. As I recall, West Milford was the town that got lots and lots of snow, much to my chagrin when hoping for a snow day off from school!

Fair winds and smooth sailing on your next voyage, and thanks again.

Diane

No problem. This Samsung TV is of good quality. And yes, West Milford certainly gets its share of snow, especially on our driveway!

In our cabin, the outlet was to the right, if one is facing the TV.

Interesting. Maybe Cunard is using more than one brand or model of TV or perhaps there are HDMI inputs on both sides. I never looked on the right hand side.

[G=Pennbank;50884211]This was QM2 and on the Right in a remastered stateroom. As you looked at the screen, How ever the TV was not fixed to the wall.

Golly! There is quite a mix of new and old TV sets aboard - some tightly wall mounted, others loosely wall mounted, some with HDMI on the side, others with HDMI on back and still others left on the desktop! It looks like we'll have to take a page from the Scouts and "be prepared" for anything.

Thank you all for your input. Cruise Critic folks truly know everything!

Diane