QM2 Thoughts & Comprehensive Photo Spread

eroller

Ernie,

Thanks for all of those gorgeous photos. If I weren’t already booked for 10/18 I think your shots would’ve pushed me over the edge to make a reservation. I think Cunard could use a few of your pictures as promo! I always appreciate your insight and generally agree with your opinions on all that Cunard does and doesn’t do right. I’m glad to see that you had an overall positive crossing. Yes, let’s keep it traditional Cunard. That’s the whole point! I love summer crossings because of the chance of good weather with bad and the more diverse population on board due to summer breaks, etc. The last summer crossing I did had 100 kids on board, though we rarely saw them. Anyway, you’ve whetted my appetite for my October crossing all the more.

So glad you enjoyed the pics! This was actually my first summer crossing on Cunard although I've done them on other lines. I enjoyed the better weather and brighter days. The passengers were more diverse as you say, with more families and more kids, but it was never a problem. The kids were very well behaved and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. There was also a large group of Amish or Mennonite families onboard, and that is something I haven't seen before.

Enjoy your October crossing! QM2 is better than ever. I'm also taking an October crossing, but a repositioning crossing on NCL out of Barcelona. It won't be Cunard but it will be still be fun.

Take care!

Ernie,

Yes, I also saw Amish and Mennonite's on board during my summer crossing and even on some others.

I'm a little worried about the spotty internet service, as this time I'll need to work one day (for just a few hours) while I'm on board. Hopefully I can get done what I need to without too much trouble.

Take care and see you around.

Ernie,

Yes, I also saw Amish and Mennonite's on board during my summer crossing and even on some others.

I'm a little worried about the spotty internet service, as this time I'll need to work one day (for just a few hours) while I'm on board. Hopefully I can get done what I need to without too much trouble.

Take care and see you around.

Best of luck with the internet. My advice is to not count on it. Anything you can get done advance would be wise.

Thanks also for shareing those great pictures with us. I wondered what cabin number or cabin grade the first cainb in bathroom pictures were- they looked a bit different from the other standart balcony´s? Thanks!

I like the Glasdoor in the shower in those first pictures!

Greetings

Michael

Thanks also for shareing those great pictures with us. I wondered what cabin number or cabin grade the first cainb in bathroom pictures were- they looked a bit different from the other standart balcony´s? Thanks!

I like the Glasdoor in the shower in those first pictures!

Greetings

Michael

Hey Michael so glad you enjoyed the pics! They are all labeled so if you're curious what the picture is of, just hover your curser over the pic and you will see the title.

I believe the cabin you're speaking of are the new Britannia Club cabins added on Deck 13. The bathrooms are truly wonderful. Keep in mind the Britannia Club cabins on Deck 12 were redone, but not the bathrooms. You have to book one on Deck 13 for the new bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Ernie!

Some of the best photos I've seen of the Carinthia Lounge - talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I was surprised by the carpet in the Chart Room. It looks out of place with what I had always appreciated of the calm silver and grey motif there. Your opinion?

Did you do any of the special Kings Court offerings? I recall hearing good reports and our next RT TA will be 16 nights, so I think Britannia alternatives may be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Ernie!

Some of the best photos I've seen of the Carinthia Lounge - talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I was surprised by the carpet in the Chart Room. It looks out of place with what I had always appreciated of the calm silver and grey motif there. Your opinion?

Did you do any of the special Kings Court offerings? I recall hearing good reports and our next RT TA will be 16 nights, so I think Britannia alternatives may be appreciated.

Thanks!

I liked the Chart Room carpet a lot. It's actually a depth chart of the ocean floor, so I thought quite fitting.

Kings Court offers excellent sushi and sashimi every day at lunch which I was quite impressed with. I never made it for dinner as we enjoyed our table mates in Britannia too much. The service and meals were quite good too!

The ship looks great..I was worried at first that she would be changed for the worse..the lobby looks nice and so does the Kings Court...so it was worth ripping out the scenic lifts..the only room that did not get a new carpet pattern was the Commodore Club...wonder why? Also the G32 now has a starry night sky ceiling ..I don't remember that. I also will miss the old ocean liner channel if its gone and will ask why on my Nov crossing!

Re new carpets; Both the Britannia restaurant and the Commodore club had a complete new carpet refit, however, they stuck to the same old design.

I expect they still had several hundred square meters to use up, left over from the last refit I guess.:D

Hi Ernie

As usual I love reading your reviews and looking at your brilliant photos! We are next sailing on QueenVictoria in October and then the new Koningsdam at the end of January. Do you have a sailing on Koningsdam? Would love your thoughts on this.

Rick

Hi Ernie

As usual I love reading your reviews and looking at your brilliant photos! We are next sailing on QueenVictoria in October and then the new Koningsdam at the end of January. Do you have a sailing on Koningsdam? Would love your thoughts on this.

Rick

Hello crossingfan, In April this year I stepped out of my Cunard comfort zone to try HAL . I sailed on the Koningsdam's maiden voyage. ( 20 days)

Having never sailed with Holland & America before I was unable to compare the new Koningdam with the rest of the ships in the HAL fleet.

I don't want to put a dammer on your forthcoming Koningdam trip ,but in conversation with other seasoned HAL guests I came to understand the onboard Service Style and Brand Image are poles apart from the other HAL ships. The KDam is the first of their new 'Pinnacle Class brand'... American free style, more a mini version of NCL or MSC.

I appreciate each to his own, and this ship could be ideal for those who enjoy a more leisure or casual style of travel or families and children. I'm afraid Towelling animals, Bleepers for a table in the evening, Music though out all areas, Carpets in elevators with the days of the week on, just wasn't for me.;)

What a tremendous photo review -as someone booked for their first crossing/Cunard cruise in May 2018 I can't thank you enough!

Thank you so much! You are in for a treat come May 2018!! A Cunard crossing is like nothing else, as is QM2. Both are one of a kind experiences. Enjoy!

Hi Ernie

Rick

Hi Rick,

So glad you enjoyed the review and pics!

Although I have sailed on HAL numerous times I haven't made it to KONINGSDAM yet. To be 100% honest HAL really isn't my cup of tea. They are a little sedate for me, and although everything is fairly decent onboard (service, entertainment, cuisine, cabins, etc), I don't find anything exceptional. In other words, nothing really stands out. Also to me at least, HAL seems to be suffering from an identity crisis the last ten years or so. Desperately trying to attract a younger clientele but in the process alienating much of their core older clientele. Also in the process some of the great traditional things that made HAL unique have vanished. KONINGSDAM seems like the next step in HAL's quest to evolve. She is probably more Celebrity Cruises (which I happen to love) than HAL. She is very much a modern interpretation of HAL and there are some very nice features about her (the pool decks, Crows Nest, dining room, and show lounge look fantastic), but missing are things like a nice wide wrap-around promenade deck, where you can sit in a lounger and watch the ocean pass by. This was always an HAL staple just like Cunard. It's funny because Cunard and HAL share many similarities, but the feeling onboard is so different. Cunard feels much more active and alive to me, and far more International. I always meet the most interesting people from around the world. HAL is far more middle-America, and I rarely meet people onboard from outside the US.

Anyway I'm sure you will have a fantastic time, and I do plan to sail on KONINGSDAM hopefully in the near future. I do enjoy trying out the latest from each cruise line when I can. QV and KDAM are essentially both Vista Class ships, but I think you will find the atmosphere onboard dramatically different. It will be interesting to hear your comparison of the two. I hope you stop back to share your thoughts.

Thanks for your wonderful photos. We were on the same crossing and they brought back many happy memories. We miss QM2 already, and booking for next year is something very much on our minds.

By the way, we too endured the awkward boarding at Southampton. That is an experience I'd rather not remember, so thank you for not posting a photo of the queue outside the terminal.

Thanks for your wonderful photos. We were on the same crossing and they brought back many happy memories. We miss QM2 already, and booking for next year is something very much on our minds.

By the way, we too endured the awkward boarding at Southampton. That is an experience I'd rather not remember, so thank you for not posting a photo of the queue outside the terminal.

I'm glad I was able to bring back some great memories! It really was a wonderful crossing wasn't it.

I'm sorry you had to endure that same horrific embarkation process. What a sour note to start such a great voyage.

I was also on board and your comprehensive photo review brings back some great memories, in fact I even spotted myself on one of your pictures of the rainy sail away in Southampton!

That is great you saw yourself! LOL

Glad the pics brought back some great memories!