Sorry, more first timer questions.

kayelbee

I am guessing you might be on the Auckland/Sydney sector of QE's 2017 world cruise. If so, then it is too early for this information to be on Voyage Personaliser, but you are safe to assume that at least one of the sea days will be formal, probably the first.

...but not the first night which, like the last night, is always informal.

I would expect just one formal.

Stewart

I sympathize with kayelbee's concerns. I am on the October 18 TA - my first Cunard sailing. I was planning to wear very dark black - no fading, rips, etc. - "jeggings" with dressy tops and shoes for the informal nights. And/or black leggings with tunic style tops. But now I am wondering if this is ok. Technically, are they jeans or pants? Does it matter? I don't own any baggy trousers. I don't want to be out of place but it seems what Cunard is trying to discourage is obviously casual denim.

I guess I will bring enough dresses to wear if - gauging by the other passengers - the black bottoms (for lack of a better term) seem out of place.

Leggings or jeggings, as such, are a total evening no no for me, but if you mean Bardot style beautiful black cigarette pants with a fabulous top then absolutely fine.

On an informal evening, I often wear white trousers which are technically jeans as the fabric is denim but is so subtle the trousers don't shout 'jeans' especially as I wear beautiful longline tops so the typical jean waistband and pockets are hidden. Unless a fellow passenger has his or her magnifying glass out to 'read' the fabric, I defy anyone to notice. I have been wearing similar for years and have yet to be turned away from QG in the evening and in fact have often been complimented on my outfit when wearing them.

I don't wear my black denim jeans in the evening as I have so many other black trousers, particularly the slightly cropped trousers which I wear with heels.

When you are seated in the restaurant, not one person can tell what you are wearing below tabletop height. My tops are often what are known as 'tabletop tops', i.e. visually stunning when seated at a table. Wear something similar. long line and your jeans become trousers. Worn subtly in this fashion, from experience, you will be fine.

Walking around the ship in the evening you will see many interpretations of informal. Believe me, you will not stick out at all.

Wear them as 'proper' jeans then the answer is no.

Ladies.

50% Marks & Spencers

25% Matalan / Primark / TK Max

10% High Street Couture. Jaeger / Klass / Phase 8 / Monsoon et. al.

5% Sports wear

5% Ladies Who Lunch

4% Golf Club Lady Captain

0.5% Any Market Stall

0.25% Eccentric.

0.25% Undefinable (Think e.g. long scruffy mac over pjs and bare feet in Kings Court at lunchtime).

Gentlemen.

Sportswear, Sportswear all the way.

80% Rohan, Jd Sports, Sports Direct, Regatta etc etc.

The remaining 20% will consist of a few men golf club smart.

A few City smart.

There will be plenty of baseball caps worn in both modes.

There will be plenty of football strip.

Rather less of those absurdly oversize Basketball shirts coupled with the equally ludicrously baggy shorts.

There will be ‘Wifebeaters’ and Speedos.

There will be a number of gentlemen following their stomachs which are inadequately covered by washed out, shrunken T-shirts bearing the barely discernible logo of of some long defunct rock band and/or the tour dates.

And of course the unquantifiable. think e.g. short and portly wearing bandana à la pirate, wifebeater, empire builders all accessorised with a large rucksack or a large pilot-style briefcase and sandals worn with socks.

As for people dressing like those in the brochure I think there should be a prize for anyone who spots in excess of 50 during the daytime on any one cruise.

After 6pm on formal nights. You WILL see plenty of passengers about the ship informally dressed. Let’s be honest if you are dining at 8.30 are you really going to gulp down your drink, finished your conversation or game and scuttle off to your cabin at 17.55 to change. After 7.30/ 8pm it’s a different matter, 99% will be dressed as per the code.

Outdoor wear on the North Atlantic is usually Anoraks R Us.

MM

PS I forgot, Whatever you are wearing if it tis beige you'll fit right in.

MM

Edited by Merry Maid
Addendum

Hope that's mostly tongue-in-cheek and glad I've not been on any of your cruises, MM. Never seen anyone wearing a baseball cap or "wifebeaters" (whatever that is - and a terrible expression).

A few years ago, we briefly chatted to 2 oil workers and their partners, who were standing at the Lido Pool Bar every time we passed.

It was their first cruise and they did not realise that there was a dress code and had no formal, or even smart clothes, so were banished to the Smash & Grab.

Incidentally, they both wore wife beaters every day.

(a "wife beater" is a vest without arms or collar, mostly seen on US TV films, [or Rab C Nesbit] and usually worn by the bad guy who lives in a trailer, drinks beer all day and treats his wife very, very badly.)

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

Hope that's mostly tongue-in-cheek and glad I've not been on any of your cruises, MM. Never seen anyone wearing a baseball cap or "wifebeaters" (whatever that is - and a terrible expression).

What never??? On a Cunard Ship? Ray, you astonish me. I've seen them at afternoon tea, in the MDR at b'fast and lunch and they are almost de rigeur in Kings Court on some trips.

Maybe one of our cousins can explain the origin of ' Wifebeater'

In the UK I think they are called a singlet or maybe a muscle shirt or perhaps that's something else.

MM

PS Looks like Big Mac has already covered that question.

Edited by Merry Maid
addendum

(a "wife beater" is a vest without arms or collar, mostly seen on US TV films, [or Rab C Nesbit] and usually worn by the bad guy who lives in a trailer, drinks beer all day and treats his wife very, very badly.)

Stewart

Hyacinth Bucket's brother in law, Onslow, was always decked out in a wife beater. :D Except when he cruised on the QM2

onslow.jpg

Ladies.

50% Marks & Spencers

25% Matalan / Primark / TK Max

10% High Street Couture. Jaeger / Klass / Phase 8 / Monsoon et. al.

5% Sports wear

5% Ladies Who Lunch

4% Golf Club Lady Captain

0.5% Any Market Stall

0.25% Eccentric.

0.25% Undefinable (Think e.g. long scruffy mac over pjs and bare feet in Kings Court at lunchtime).

Gentlemen.

Sportswear, Sportswear all the way.

80% Rohan, Jd Sports, Sports Direct, Regatta etc etc.

The remaining 20% will consist of a few men golf club smart.

A few City smart.

There will be plenty of baseball caps worn in both modes.

There will be plenty of football strip.

Rather less of those absurdly oversize Basketball shirts coupled with the equally ludicrously baggy shorts.

There will be ‘Wifebeaters’ and Speedos.

There will be a number of gentlemen following their stomachs which are inadequately covered by washed out, shrunken T-shirts bearing the barely discernible logo of of some long defunct rock band and/or the tour dates.

And of course the unquantifiable. think e.g. short and portly wearing bandana à la pirate, wifebeater, empire builders all accessorised with a large rucksack or a large pilot-style briefcase and sandals worn with socks.

As for people dressing like those in the brochure I think there should be a prize for anyone who spots in excess of 50 during the daytime on any one cruise.

After 6pm on formal nights. You WILL see plenty of passengers about the ship informally dressed. Let’s be honest if you are dining at 8.30 are you really going to gulp down your drink, finished your conversation or game and scuttle off to your cabin at 17.55 to change. After 7.30/ 8pm it’s a different matter, 99% will be dressed as per the code.

Outdoor wear on the North Atlantic is usually Anoraks R Us.

MM

PS I forgot, Whatever you are wearing if it tis beige you'll fit right in.

MM

Are you sure you are on the right post . What you are describing and approving is very NCL and NOT up to proper Cunard standards. And unless you are spending your entire day in the gym, there will be way more "Brochure" fashions during the daytime than 50. Have a look in for afternoon tea. Most people do know how to properly attire themselves. Sadly some do not.

If you stick to the dress code outlines on the Cunard website you'll be fine. You'll be one of a very large number of people on the ship and as long as you make an effort you'll be fine. I wore white jeans type trousers and tunic top to casual dinners a couple of times and calf or knee length dresses on formal nights and I fitted in just fine. Your OH will HAVE to wear a jacket every night but my husband wore his with an open-necked shirt or polo on casuals and didn't look out of place at all. BTW I forgot my dressy shoes so wore my slippers every night LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you sure you are on the right post . What you are describing and approving is very NCL and NOT up to proper Cunard standards. And unless you are spending your entire day in the gym, there will be way more "Brochure" fashions during the daytime than 50. Have a look in for afternoon tea. Most people do know how to properly attire themselves. Sadly some do not.

Yes I a m sure I am on the right post. I just get so tired of seeing the counsel of perfection reiterated on this board. It is not fair on the questioners. I base my remarks on long personal observation. I was simply trying to give the OP a light-hearted idea of the type of clothing to expect on board. All the clothing from companies mentioned can fall well within the daytime dress requirements with the obvious exceptions. To refer the OP to the brochure photographs is disingenuous to say the least. I know we would love it to be like that , that would be so very nice. But the plain fact of the matter is that it is not and anybody who walks the ship with their eyes unencumbered by the rose tinted spectacles of Cunard orthodoxy can plainly see that it is not. Personally I don't care what people wear it doesn't affect my holiday one jot, although that said I do like to see everyone in their finery on formal nights. My 'league table' may have been constructed a little lightheartedly it is true but it is fairly accurate for all that. And as usual it is usually the chaps who 'Let the Side Down Don'tcha Know'

We would all like it to be otherwise, to be just like the nice pictures but it isn't and never will be again. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

In spite of all that Cunard is still the classiest most formal of lines and long may it continue and we do enter a different world when on board, a gentler nicer world BUT people, no matter how much we on here fulminate, it is not Downton Abbey at sea and for all but the very rich it never was.

MM

Once again many thanks for your help and advice.

One more question.

'Flip flops' are not allowed in the dining room for the evening, but are blingy, toe post with ankle straps flat sandals OK?

Please do not get hung up on this dress code thing. You have asked questions on a forum which has a few members who cling to the ultra conservative as is their privilege. I'm Diamond level cruising with Cunard and so have similar experience to many here yet I am a little more realistic. I know I look absolutely fine with my interpretation of the dress codes [yes I can match the brochures] and I appreciate any attempts by others to do the same.

I think the fact you are asking questions and want to conform as best you can means you'll blend in with no problem. As for your shoes, go ahead. I wear heels in the evening, my choice and I wouldn't wear flip flops. I don't have any dressy toe post flats but as I have yet to see any on-board Shoe Police pounce on a passenger for their footwear transgressions [and I HAVE seen dressy flip flops and black trainer type shoes in the evening, go ahead.

Merrymaid, I agree with all your comments. Also, having been on 4 cruises with Cunard this year (including 2 transatlantics), your description of what you will actually see people wear as opposed to brochure photos, totally nailed it!

Blingy toe post sandals are fine in the MDR.

What I am not keen on are people, would they be mainly American? wearing baseball caps all around the ship, for lunch in any venue and into the Planetarium and theatre, those caps look and smell so unhygienic...

Yes I a m sure I am on the right post. I just get so tired of seeing the counsel of perfection reiterated on this board. It is not fair on the questioners. I base my remarks on long personal observation. I was simply trying to give the OP a light-hearted idea of the type of clothing to expect on board. All the clothing from companies mentioned can fall well within the daytime dress requirements with the obvious exceptions. To refer the OP to the brochure photographs is disingenuous to say the least. I know we would love it to be like that , that would be so very nice. But the plain fact of the matter is that it is not and anybody who walks the ship with their eyes unencumbered by the rose tinted spectacles of Cunard orthodoxy can plainly see that it is not. Personally I don't care what people wear it doesn't affect my holiday one jot, although that said I do like to see everyone in their finery on formal nights. My 'league table' may have been constructed a little lightheartedly it is true but it is fairly accurate for all that. And as usual it is usually the chaps who 'Let the Side Down Don'tcha Know'

We would all like it to be otherwise, to be just like the nice pictures but it isn't and never will be again. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

In spite of all that Cunard is still the classiest most formal of lines and long may it continue and we do enter a different world when on board, a gentler nicer world BUT people, no matter how much we on here fulminate, it is not Downton Abbey at sea and for all but the very rich it never was.

MM

And herein lies the problem. Cunard puts out a brochure with the level of attire Cunard would like to see on their ships. If they wanted to attract a lower set they would lower the style level on the brochure. Secondly, way too many people cheat the code just a tad and then more people come on places like here and state that it is ok to lower the standards because others have gone before as bores. Then they further lower the level by stating that they do not care what others wear or do because "nothing" can spoil "their" vacation.

Ambiance, romance, tradition is what attracts people to Cunard unless you are using a TA for ferry service as some do. As standards are lowered and accepted eventually Cunard becomes just another cruise line fighting for passengers.

So yes people cheat the codes but that is no reason not to put up the good fight to maintain and even improve on what Cunard is selling. Many will continue to live up to the standard the bores will not and in my opinion should be called out for it.

Merrymaid, I agree with all your comments. Also, having been on 4 cruises with Cunard this year (including 2 transatlantics), your description of what you will actually see people wear as opposed to brochure photos, totally nailed it!

Blingy toe post sandals are fine in the MDR.

What I am not keen on are people, would they be mainly American? wearing baseball caps all around the ship, for lunch in any venue and into the Planetarium and theatre, those caps look and smell so unhygienic...

Let me see if I get your drift here. If you feel a particular variance from the dress code is acceptable then go for it but if you find a different variance from the code ie: baseball hats indoors not to your liking then lets object. Fine and good but those who wear the baseball caps do not find that objectionable so now we have two items that are OK and so it goes until we have an NCL style cruise where passengers show up in workman's dungarees with hammer loops and other glorious outfits.

Either it is full attention to the Cunard stated dress code or it is a slippery slope towards general sloppy appearances. I might point out that Carnival has managed after allowing the passengers to dress down to general workingman levels to now remove tablecloths from the main dining room and reduce the amount of flatware to a spoon and fork, knives appear when only required and they are wrapped in a napkin which shortly will become paper if the trend continues. If that is what you enjoy, please enjoy a carnival cruise

Edited by Lakesregion

What people seem to be confusing is what the dress code implies and what will be seen on board, which is a downgraded version of the code. The implication is that fitting in with the latter is OK. Of course, it is not and the aim should be to comply with the code. If you join a club it's usually a good idea to try to stick to its rules, and nobody is forcing anybody to join this one.

Thanks Victoria2 for your vote of confidence re my shoes. I do have some heels but as I stand at 6' in my flats I tend not to wear them too often so aren't that stable in them in moderate seas, calm seas I'm OK!

I won't get hung up about the dress code, just don't want to take stuff that I am not really going to wear!

So, as far as I can tell....smart jeans/capri trousers, casual tops OK during the day.

After 6pm dress, smart separates (depending on code for particular evening)

For men, jeans and more casual trousers, t-shirts, collared polo shirts fine for day.

Evening, No jeans. Smart chinos, collared shirts, jacket. Formal nights, tuxedo.

All sounds good to me. I will have no problem with that.

Thanks for all your help.

And herein lies the problem. Cunard puts out a brochure with the level of attire Cunard would like to see on their ships. If they wanted to attract a lower set they would lower the style level on the brochure. Secondly, way too many people cheat the code just a tad and then more people come on places like here and state that it is ok to lower the standards because others have gone before as bores. Then they further lower the level by stating that they do not care what others wear or do because "nothing" can spoil "their" vacation.

Ambiance, romance, tradition is what attracts people to Cunard unless you are using a TA for ferry service as some do. As standards are lowered and accepted eventually Cunard becomes just another cruise line fighting for passengers.

So yes people cheat the codes but that is no reason not to put up the good fight to maintain and even improve on what Cunard is selling. Many will continue to live up to the standard the bores will not and in my opinion should be called out for it.

Very sell said. And how sad it is when the "cheaters" are those who say that they love Cunard ships.

Thanks Victoria2 for your vote of confidence re my shoes. I do have some heels but as I stand at 6' in my flats I tend not to wear them too often so aren't that stable in them in moderate seas, calm seas I'm OK!

I won't get hung up about the dress code, just don't want to take stuff that I am not really going to wear!

So, as far as I can tell....smart jeans/capri trousers, casual tops OK during the day.

After 6pm dress, smart separates (depending on code for particular evening)

For men, jeans and more casual trousers, t-shirts, collared polo shirts fine for day.

Evening, No jeans. Smart chinos, collared shirts, jacket. Formal nights, tuxedo.

All sounds good to me. I will have no problem with that.

Thanks for all your help.

That all sounds perfect, have a great time.

Lakesregion, oops sorry you read way too much into what I wrote...I was confirming re Merry Maids post what you will actually see on board re day dress as opposed to the photos on the brochure, ok? It is what is is...much as I hate that phrase. Am trying to be neutral here, neither criticising nor praising.

I never said anything about the evening formal dress code....which incidentally I have always enjoyed complying with.

BTW have always thought of brochure photos as falling into the aspirational marketing category, no one need copy their actual fashion as long as you meet the guidelines issued by Cunard. The main thing is people should enjoy their cruise! And comply with the dress code!!!!

Edited by durante