Laundry costs on QV

MacThespian

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this, so I thought I'd check here. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread if it was.

Are the laundry machines on QV free? (If not, does anyone know how much they cost per load?)

Is laundry detergent available? If so, is it free? (And if not, does anyone know how much a packet for a single load costs?)

Thanks.

On my last trip I took some fabric softener sheets with me for the dryer, just placed in a plastic bag, this was really useful.

Have a great time .....

Jennie

I'm not a fabric softener kind of a guy, but my wife uses the sheets regularly (I was going to write "religiously" but I couldn't think of any religion that glorifies fabric softener sheets!). I'll suggest it to her.

Thanks.

That the laundry machines are free is a guarantee that they are popular. I recommend taking a book since the best way to get a machine is to camp out in the laundry room until someone's cycle finishes.

I am obviously missing something vital here but is this a good way to spend time for which you have paid $kk, standing in a laundrette reading a book?

As this is the second 'Laundry' thread in the past week it must figure very large in some peoples' lives. Now what I don't get is this:-

On any trip lasting 7 days or less it is easy to pack enough washable kit to obviate the need for any laundry at all even if you fly to the ship. Laundry addicts can get their fix using the bathroom basin for their 'smalls' or by treading the offending article underfoot in the shower.

On trips of longer duration, with the possible exception of a complete world cruise the amount you spend on the cruise itself would make the extra expense of having the laundry done on board a comparatively trifling amount. And if you have any loyalty perk at all then it's even cheaper. So there must be some other reason which I do not comprehend which makes people disdain the pleasures of the cruise to hang around in a tiny, hot, noisy room with, if stories are to be believed, the occasional outbreak of verbal and sometimes physical violence. And don't forget folks in the room you save in the luggage by not bringing the spray starch and softening stuff you can pop an extra pair of pants or three pairs of socks.

A Puzzled Shiny

Edited by shinyshoes
Grammar

[/color]

I am obviously missing something vital here but is this a good way to spend time for which you have paid $kk, standing in a laundrette reading a book?

As this is the second 'Laundry' thread in the past week it must figure very large in some peoples' lives. Now what I don't get is this:-

On any trip lasting 7 days or less it is easy to pack enough washable kit to obviate the need for any laundry at all even if you fly to the ship. Laundry addicts can get their fix using the bathroom basin for their 'smalls' or by treading the offending article underfoot in the shower.

On trips of longer duration, with the possible exception of a complete world cruise the amount you spend on the cruise itself would make the extra expense of having the laundry done on board a comparatively trifling amount. And if you have any loyalty perk at all then it's even cheaper. So there must be some other reason which I do not comprehend which makes people disdain the pleasures of the cruise to hang around in a tiny, hot, noisy room with, if stories are to be believed, the occasional outbreak of verbal and sometimes physical violence. And don't forget folks in the room you save in the luggage by not bringing the spray starch and softening stuff you can pop an extra pair of pants or three pairs of socks.

A Puzzled Shiny

Let me see if I can make it clear for you. We're taking a 3-week vacation. If I pack enough clothes to see me through this, I'll be bringing at least one extra suitcase. I pay to have shirts and slacks cleaned, but the prices for doing socks and underwear are exorbitant.

I don't need to spend every minute of every day doing something exciting--like watching the ocean go by. Sure, I enjoy that, in moderation, but I don't begrudge a few minutes to do my wash once (or even twice) over three weeks.

What I don't understand is the prevalence of threads discussing how much liquor you can bring on board a ship, how best to smuggle on an extra bottle or two, and so on--but I don't post on those threads. I see no need to put in my oar.

Just the questions I wanted asked. W am travelling for one month and 17 of those nights are on Queen Victoria so we will take 1 hour out of a day to catch

up on some much needed washing. With taking evening and day wear, I wont have a ton of room for too much extra.

While on the subject of clothing, do most men wear a jacket for smart casual dining. I dont reallly want to pack 2 suit type outfits for him and then drag around Europe? I know there are topics on this subject too but it does sort of flow from this topic.

Thanks for that. I guess we will take an extra jacket for him....:)

If you were to take a dark suit, that would work for every evening which would save the weight of an extra jacket in the luggage. I don't know how he would feel to be wearing the same clothes each evening though. Perhaps a blazer plus a suit migh be better.

Thanks for that. I guess we will take an extra jacket for him....:)

Or, you could travel in a suit and pack just the dj and a jacket. And even at a pinch travel in the suit and take a spare pair of pants with which you could wear the suit jacket for elegant casual nights. And to go even more schooner rigged you could just travel in the suit take a spare pair of pants and don't take the DJ. Depends entirely on how you want to play it. With any of those combinations you will be OK.

SS

Or, you could travel in a suit and pack just the dj and a jacket. And even at a pinch travel in the suit and take a spare pair of pants with which you could wear the suit jacket for elegant casual nights. And to go even more schooner rigged you could just travel in the suit take a spare pair of pants and don't take the DJ. Depends entirely on how you want to play it. With any of those combinations you will be OK.

SS

I am a little concerned.... by pants do you mean pants? 2 pairs might be considered frugal by some wihout overnight washing every day and the use of a drying line on the balcony, as an inside dweller I couldn't be doing with soggy underwear hanging in the bathroom. But then it occurs to me that as an international playboy, you might have been using the vernacular for trousers. I would feel much more relaxed if that were the case.

[/color]

A Puzzled Shiny

I don't understand it either. As you say, you spend thousands on your holiday to be waited on hand and foot and then people actually do their own washing. Some even take pleasure in it and are over the moon that the washing powder is free !!!

Do these people offer to hoover their own cabin as well ? Or do the dishes ?

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

I don't understand it either. As you say, you spend thousands on your holiday to be waited on hand and foot and then people actually do their own washing. Some even take pleasure in it and are over the moon that the washing powder is free !!!

Do these people offer to hoover their own cabin as well ? Or do the dishes ?

Your criticisms are reasonable but in the recent past I have availed myself of the laundrette on a couple of occasions, merely to wash smalls and teeshirts etcetera. My reasoning was that as the room was empty I could save enough cash for a couple of G&Ts by expending a little bit of effort. I still use the ship's laundry as well and would never stand in the room with a book waiting for a machine to become vacant. By the way, what is an iron?? Just kidding.. but do they come in men's sizes??

Edited by capnpugwash

I am a little concerned.... by pants do you mean pants? 2 pairs might be considered frugal by some wihout overnight washing every day and the use of a drying line on the balcony, as an inside dweller I couldn't be doing with soggy underwear hanging in the bathroom. But then it occurs to me that as an international playboy, you might have been using the vernacular for trousers. I would feel much more relaxed if that were the case.

Cap'n, I take to my keyboard a chastened man. Too much exposure to the linguistic aberrations from across the water have had a dire effect. 'Trousers', it should indeed have been. With regard to pants as 'pants' I find that my critical number is 4 pair. However even with 2 pairs, a little ingenuity can make them do for 8 days without washing. i.e. normal, back to front, inside out, back to front and inside out. I hope my apology leaves you suitably relaxed.

Exit pursued by Indesit.

SS

Cap'n, I take to my keyboard a chastened man. Too much exposure to the linguistic aberrations from across the water have had a dire effect. 'Trousers', it should indeed have been. With regard to pants as 'pants' I find that my critical number is 4 pair. However even with 2 pairs, a little ingenuity can make them do for 8 days without washing. i.e. normal, back to front, inside out, back to front and inside out. I hope my apology leaves you suitably relaxed.

Exit pursued by Indesit.

SS

Surely once they have been worn inside out, they are back to being as good as new and with a judicious application of some eau de cologne or similar the whole process can start again. Just a money/effort saving suggestion/observation.

Surely once they have been worn inside out, they are back to being as good as new and with a judicious application of some eau de cologne or similar the whole process can start again. Just a money/effort saving suggestion/observation.

An excellent thought Cap'n. There remains of course the ultimate in space/money/time-saving - Go Commando.

Shiny

I believe they mean trousers.

Two countries separated by a common language !!

Indeed we are. I thought I was reasonably cognizant of the differences between British English and the dialect we use in the USA, but had forgotten this distinction.

Cruising is indeed educational.

Indeed we are. I thought I was reasonably cognizant of the differences between British English and the dialect we use in the USA, but had forgotten this distinction.

Cruising is indeed educational.

I was on a TA on the QM2 in July 2010 and one of the lecturers was from Oxford or Cambridge who gave a talk on the very subject.

One of the biggest laughs he got was went he said it was not a good idea for an English lady to ask an American chap to "Knock her up in the morning" !!

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

I was on a TA on the QM2 in July 2010 and one of the lecturers was from Oxford or Cambridge who gave a talk on the very subject.

One of the biggest laughs he got was went he said it was not a good idea for an English lady to ask an American chap to "Knock her up in the morning" !!

Or the time my younger sister was invited to dine with a very proper English family... They asked if she wanted any more food, and she replied (innocently enough) that she was "stuffed."