Not a newbie, but have a couple questions...

mainewoods

I've sailed QM2 perhaps five times now, and am going on a voyage again in a month. I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can assist.

* I would like to walk around the deck 7 in the morning (for exercise), is there a direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) that people usually go?

* Is there a milk dispenser (or small cartons) in King's Court during lunch/dinner? The last voyage I was on, I asked the waiter, and he brought me over to the pitchers of milk that were by the coffee machines. I thought I saw cartons in the AM near the cereals, but have not located any during lunch/dinner. It seemed odd to pour the coffee milk out of the pitcher, plus being slightly warmer than milk from a refrigerated dispenser. I might have luck if i just get extra milk during room service I suppose.

* I wanted to enjoy the string quartet in the Chart Room, but as I don't drink alcohol or carbonated beverages, I felt a little out of place occupying a seat, and not purchasing a drink. Are there other options, such as a 'virgin' something? I didn't see anything like that on the menu card they had placed on the table.

I'm looking forward to boarding her again next month. Can't wait to see the the re-mastering.

The correct procedure when walking/jogging on the deck is counterclockwise, I've no idea why ,however, someone will come along and correct me.;)

I don't think I've ever seen small/individual cartons of milk in the KC/Lido area other than at breakfast, occasionally they do appear on the room service tray when ordering breakfast cereal. Milk,half half/low fat etc for tea/coffee is always found in the 'thermos pitchers/jugs', so shouldn't really be room temperature. The jugs are replenished every hour or so. You may have noticed a small sticker on the lid of the jug, apparently when the colour changes it's time to replace the milk.

Never feel concerned occupying a seat in the Chart Room without ordering a drink, just as long as it's not the fourth Bar stool from the right........that's reserved for me;)

Edited by Bell Boy

Hi

Mostly people Walk or Jog Clockwise, however it can be fun to walk against the flow.That way you see the people coming towards you.

Milk is now dispensed in Kings Court by glass Urns see photo, nothing to stop you taking a glass or two to your cabin. Or ordering from room service.

The Chart room will serve you anything you wish from a fruit juice, coffee or just a glass of tap water if you wish. They can make virgin cocktails, just ask.

IMG_9560.jpg.02315618aab3a55e1664bc814459a019.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Thank you for the quick responses.

I'll keep an eye out in Kings Court for the glass urns of milk. But ideally, I think I'll just order extra on my room service breakfast and keep it cold in the fridge.

And now I do intend to go into the Chartroom and enjoy the quartet and have a nice beverage.

As far as the direction of walkers on deck 7... well, it's either clockwise or counterclockwise. I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. I just remember that there's always been a protocol when I'd go to the walking track or gym.

Thank you again.

Stick to Anti-clockwise ( counterclockwise) mainewoods and you'll not go wrong, in other words when stepping out of a door on the port side of deck seven turn left.

Just the same as on a dance floor, Anti- clockwise. ;)

I agree with brigittetom and Bell Boy; it is always counter/anti-clockwise.

The reason is, I was told (and I am NOT saying that this is correct) was that when the liners were used as troopships (most esp the Queens and other Cunard liners during WW2) the rule, to avoid walking against the flow on very over-crowded ships, was aft along the port side, forward along the starboard side.

Over time the rule has become habit, even in peacetime.

In the long internal passageways and corridors we keep to the same rule, if you think about it, even now.

Anyway, right or wrong, that was what I was told :)

Edited by pepperrn

Stick to Anti-clockwise ( counterclockwise) mainewoods and you'll not go wrong, in other words when stepping out of a door on the port side of deck seven turn left.

Just the same as on a dance floor, Anti- clockwise. ;)

Are there no exits on deck 7 on the starboard side (still a left to go counter/anti-clockwise). I can't remember if there were now to think about it. I get so turned around that I have to look down at the water to see what direction is forward...:o

Pepperrn: Also interesting about the history. Looking around on CC, I did a search on 'counterclockwise' (because I just had to read more about this tradition) and some of the posts even mentioned that you change direction when you go south of the equator. That would be interesting to see if that's the case, but I'll most likely never find out by experience though. There were a lot of theories, and interesting reading.

I've been out on deck a lot doing a leisurely stroll. Wow, it's funny that I never noticed the protocol before.

In the past, we have had excellent response asking for something (specifically cookies) that we knew were behind the scenes at the King's court, but not set-out at that particular time. If you request a carton of milk from King's Court staff, I believe someone would go to the storage area and fetch it for you.

None of the bars require purchases in order to sit amongst other passengers. You won't be made to feel uncomfortable, if you order nothing. You can even ask for some "nibbles."

Like others on this thread, I believe going with the flow on the promenade deck is in everyone's best interest.

Have a wonderful voyage, mainewoods!

Jimmybean

Walk any way you want there is no rule, the joggers are the problem, they come up behind you and push like they own the deck. There are a lot of elderly and disabled people on the QM2 and it pains me to see these joggers shove by people on walkers, in wheel chairs, or using canes. They should just run on the treadmills IMO.

On any cruise ship, you are never required to purchase a drink to sit at a bar or venue. Of course they like it if you do but they can't throw you out.

Even the ones that grab the best seat and tables! lol :D

Hilarious

Pointy bit to stern on Portside. is norm but it is Cunard so what ever way you fancy.

Edited by Pennbank

Even the ones that grab the best seat and tables! lol :D

Hilarious

Pointy bit to stern on Portside. is norm but it is Cunard so what ever way you fancy.

Hey

Thinking about that, That is Anti clockwise!

With apologies, Without a worry in the world, sometimes you get things wrong.

Anticlockwise it is.

sorry.