Newbie with questions please help if you can

Wisewol

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this, I am heading on my first transatlantic voyage on October 11th and I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one.

Questions I have may seem silly to some but they are things going through my mind

1. I know there is a spa area on board but can't find out how you get to use just the facilities such as the hot tubs etc, can you buy a day /week pass?

2. Are tips included ?

3. Do most people stick to the dinner reservations or try out all the different restaurants ?

4. Drinks on board, I have seen that soft drinks are free somewhere , is this correct ? Also on that note can I bring my own favoured drink on board with me? I have a terrible Diet Coke habit lol

5 and lastly for now, has anyone done the crossing in October !will it be rough? I do realize every year could be different but just an idea would be great.

Thank you for reading and any advice

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this, I am heading on my first transatlantic voyage on October 11th and I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one.

Questions I have may seem silly to some but they are things going through my mind

1. I know there is a spa area on board but can't find out how you get to use just the facilities such as the hot tubs etc, can you buy a day /week pass?

YES

2. Are tips included ?for drinks in the bars, wine, etc, a service charge is added to the chit. There will be a standard daily tip amount added to your room bill to cover steward, dining room wait staff, etc. we usually give extra tip on last day to steward and dining room staff.

3. Do most people stick to the dinner reservations or try out all the different restaurants ? Don't know what MOST people do. We usually eat 1 meal per week in the fancy restaurant - formerly Todd English, now called the verandah.

We have traveled PG and have eaten all the rest of our meals in PG.

4. Drinks on board, I have seen that soft drinks are free somewhere , is this correct ? Also on that note can I bring my own favoured drink on board with me? I have a terrible Diet Coke habit lol

Not sure- I have given up my Diet Coke habit, LOL!

5 and lastly for now, has anyone done the crossing in October !will it be rough? I do realize every year could be different but just an idea would be great.

The crossing can be anything- we took this voyage oct 2015 and it was amazingly smooth. But, it could also be rough at times. We always take some

Dramamine with us, just in case.

Thank you for reading and any advice

Hope that helps you!

If you have a 'terrible' diet coke habit you can purchase a soft drinks package in one of the bars as soon as you board to get unlimited soft drinks from the 'hose'. You sort of subscribe in advance for the whole segment. Search for 'soft drinks package' on the Cunard site.

It will be Diet Pepsi from the hose though, I think they have diet coke in cans or bottles but it won't be part of the soft drinks package.

You can bring your own on board to drink in your cabin. There are free soft drinks in the Kings Court but I'm not sure what.

A Spa pass costs $40 for one day or for three days $75,however, if you book any treatments this will also include entrance to the Spa area.

There is only one alternative 'elegant restaurant' as such (The Verandah) the other alternative dining venues are the evenings in the Kings Court area @ $15pp. Usually a themed evening meal, details of the menu can be found in the onboard daily program delivered to your room each evening.

Yes you can bring your diet Coke onboard, you can also find a selection of soft drinks/fruit juice in the self service area Kings Court. No free drinks I'm afraid are served in the Bar areas.

The Queen Mary 2 has been built and designed to cross the Atlantic in all sorts of weather, it hardly moves and you'll forget that you are at sea. It hit bad weather the other week but that was very unusual. Don't even worry about it ....worry about what you are going to pack ;)

You'll have a wonderful time, many of us on these boards have been crossing on the QM2 for years, anything more you want to know, just ask. Four more sleeps and I'll be back on.

Coffee and tea are free as well. As for the October crossing. I have done that three times and one in November, and it was never a problem on QM2, I also spent Thanksgiving aboard QV and there was no problem with the crossing, though we were further south from Funchal, Madiera to Hamilton, Bermuda on the trans Atlantic portion.

As for dining there are lots of options that are not extra cost. The pub for fish and chips. The kings court for buffet, Sir Samuel's for coffees, pastries and sandwiches, and Room Service. The new Cafe Carinthia new since the June refit, should be tried out as well. There is nothing to beat the dining rooms either. And Afternoon Tea in the Queen's room.

Edited by Bigmike911

Coffee and tea are free as well. As for the October crossing. I have done that three times and one in November, and it was never a problem on QM2, I also spent Thanksgiving aboard QV and there was no problem with the crossing, though we were further south from Funchal, Madiera to Hamilton, Bermuda on the trans Atlantic portion.

As for dining there are lots of options that are not extra cost. The pub for fish and chips. The kings court for buffet, Sir Samuel's for coffees, pastries and sandwiches, and Room Service. The new Cafe Carinthia new since the June refit, should be tried out as well. There is nothing to beat the dining rooms either. And Afternoon Tea in the Queen's room.

Thank you, weather wise in October , do you think a light jacket and long trousers is enough ? Or will I need thicker warmer clothes for walking round the deck

Just to point out that Sir Samuels has now been taken over by Godiva. if you want one of their slices of chocolate cake, I think it was $4.99 on top of the price of coffee, (plus service charge). We had cappuccinos there last month and you don't even get those little biscuits or a glass of iced water any more :(. Hope they don't move into the Cafe Carinthia in the other two ships.

Thank you, weather wise in October , do you think a light jacket and long trousers is enough ? Or will I need thicker warmer clothes for walking round the deck

The wind can be cold across the open decks so you might need a thick jacket or layers.

It will be Diet Pepsi from the hose though, I think they have diet coke in cans or bottles but it won't be part of the soft drinks package.

You can bring your own on board to drink in your cabin. There are free soft drinks in the Kings Court but I'm not sure what.

How would one go about bringing a case of water on board QM2.

I was last on board in December and things change but you can usually buy a drink package the lst and 2nd day on board from any bar. A sticker is put on your key card and that entitles you to unlimited soft drinks in any bar or Britannia restaurant for the rest of the voyage. Believe the cost was about $7.50 a day. Its not all inclusive, so ask what is available when you buy it.........as already mentioned, Cunard switched to Pepsi products a couple of years back. You can get Diet Coke in a can, but will not be part of the package and as I recall, its a bit more expensive than the Pepsi fountain drinks.............buying a drink package saves but only if you really consume 4 or 5 a day and cannot be used for anyone else..............

Nobody can really tell you.

It may be that you can walk in shorts and sandals outside and the next day all decks may be closed because of high winds.

I'd certainly take a wind- and waterproof jacket wih me and a fleece shirt - just incase. If you don't need them at all, you have been very lucky with the weather.

If you have all the champagne can I come on your next cruise and have the cabin next door!!!!!!!!!

We always have at least one cocktail party in our room, so you'd be most welcome.

Our next trip is in October on QE but, unfortunately, the QG suites next door are sold out.

Stewart

We always have at least one cocktail party in our room, so you'd be most welcome.

Our next trip is in October on QE but, unfortunately, the QG suites next door are sold out.

Stewart

Oh that's a shame!!! Am on Queen Victoria beginning of November Rome to Southampton.