Formal Night Hack

resistk

To allow the Mrs. maximum room and make it simple, I have hacked the Cunard formal dress code as follows:

1. One white or blue short sleeve Oxford shirt

2. A tie

3. Black golf slacks - the ultra lite type that can drip dry

4. A cheap polyester black sports jacket

5. Lightweight Italian dress shoes

Anyone been able to go one better?

To allow the Mrs. maximum room and make it simple, I have hacked the Cunard formal dress code as follows:

2. A tie

Yes. I have hacked your Cunard E tickets and replaced them with two NCL tickets. Enjoy your casual cruise.

2. A tie

Yikes! I almost took the bait:eek:

Edited by Salacia

Yes. I have hacked your Cunard E tickets and replaced them with two NCL tickets. Enjoy your casual cruise.

I am serious, who wants to drag a tux all over Europe or the USA for three weeks? I have been dressing this way for the past 10 TAs or so with no issue. Lightweight black sports jacket and black golf pants. If I spill something on the pants, I can rinse them out and they are dry the next day.

This is actually something I've been wondering. DH and I are taking our first TA this January. We've never sailed with Cunard before. What should I pack for DH? I don't want to pack too much but I want to make sure he has everything he needs. My understanding is there will be 3 formal nights (tuxedo) and 4 informal nights (suit or pants with jacket). Does he need to wear a tie in the main dining room on informal nights or is a collared shirt and jacket appropriate?

This is what I was thinking of packing for him...

Dinnerwear:

Tuxedo (jacket/pants), shirt and bowtie (probably 2 or 3 bowties of different colors to match my gowns)

Black/charcoal suit

2 ties

2 collared shirts

black socks and shoes

Day Wear:

polo/camp/Hawaiian shirts (what he normally wears at home)

khaki pants

golf shorts

Maybe an extra jacket

Tie is optional on informal nights, he might not need the shorts in January.

It will be cold on the open decks so some short of sweater/fleece will be useful.

There are laundries or the ship's service is good if you need to wash the shirts.

And yet you complain about the lowering of standards in Princess Grill menu. Perhaps they just do not like how you are dressed.

Why would anyone object to a shirt and tie, dress shoes, black pants, and black jacket? Tux has always been optional on Cunard in relatively modern times.

Edited by resistk

Why would anyone object to a shirt and tie, dress shoes, black pants, and black jacket? Tux has always been optional on Cunard in relatively modern times.

I remember the very long thread begun by a woman who simply didn't want to put on a dress, dammit. One of the themes in the responses was that dressing up was respectful to one's fellow passengers, many of whom love the Cunard dress code.

So, resistk, it is perhaps mischievous of you to try to define the lowest possible standard for a formal dress night.

I still don't know if the original post was a joke or not, but unfortunately there are some passengers who instead of realising that following the SPIRIT of the dress code is an indication of respect for their fellow passengers, feel that they are entitled to try to bend the rules as much as they can. And "black golf slacks - the ultra lite type that can drip dry - with a cheap polyester black sports jacket" is doing that. When I see such examples, I at least console myself with a feeling of superiority that I know how to dress properly for the occasion. When I did an Alaska cruise I didn't want to cart a dinner suit all round N America for 2 weeks after the cruise ended, so I hired one on board (on Princess), as I believe is possible on Cunard. This is the "responsible" solution -or eating in Kings Court.

Not being disrespectful but you would not really be able to tell if I was wearing a black suit or not and I can re purpose the lot or toss them when I get to my destination. No way I would want to rent a tux or tote a useless garment bag for three or four weeks. And I would have to say I am very conservatively dressed compared to some of the garb I see on formal night especially from the LGBTQ crowd who always lighten things up. Anyone reading this thread would think everyone on Cunard goes around dressed in a monkey suit on formal night which is far from the case.

As bananavan accurately pointed out you started a thread asking Cunard to restore the old Princess Grill menu. Maybe you're doing to the dress code what you say Cunard is doing to the menu? "Lighter" and "fewer choices" in your formal wear?

You cannot have it both ways. If passengers demand more casual dress then the services and menus will follow.

You clearly find dressing as requested a burden to be only grudgingly tolerated and as minimally as possible. So explore the possibilities of other lines rather than ruin Cunard for the rest of us.

2. A tie

1. Surely you need a white shirt.

5. These should be black.

Seems to be a good minimalist wardrobe to cover Black Tie nights.

Regards John

2. A tie

yes, and removing the servicecharge like you say lets you travel even lighter.

I won't be surprised, if they refuse you entry to the MDR with a sports jacket on formal nights.

Edited by Yoshikitty

I am serious, who wants to drag a tux all over Europe or the USA for three weeks? I have been dressing this way for the past 10 TAs or so with no issue. Lightweight black sports jacket and black golf pants. If I spill something on the pants, I can rinse them out and they are dry the next day.

I was serious also!

This is actually something I've been wondering. DH and I are taking our first TA this January. We've never sailed with Cunard before. What should I pack for DH? I don't want to pack too much but I want to make sure he has everything he needs. My understanding is there will be 3 formal nights (tuxedo) and 4 informal nights (suit or pants with jacket). Does he need to wear a tie in the main dining room on informal nights or is a collared shirt and jacket appropriate?

Dinnerwear:

Tuxedo (jacket/pants), shirt and bowtie (probably 2 or 3 bowties of different colors to match my gowns)

Black/charcoal suit

2 ties

2 collared shirts

black socks and shoes

Day Wear:

khaki pants

golf shorts

Maybe an extra jacket

You can leave the tuxedo out and have him wear the dark suit for formal and informal nights that way you save more space/weight. Dark suit will cover for every night worn with bow ties, 4 in hand ties or no tie.

Dinnerwear:

Black/charcoal suit

2 ties

2 collared shirts

black socks and shoes

Day Wear:

khaki pants

golf shorts

Maybe an extra jacket

You are taking a January TA not a Caribbean cruise so the Hawaiian and camp shirts are not what one might see on such a voyage. He will certainly stand out. The same for shorts outside of the gym as the Atlantic is COLD as will be the outside decks.

I recommend a couple of cotton sweaters to wear over a nice long sleeved sports shirt with collar for day time and long trousers (chinos are not my thing) a tie and blazer for informal evenings.

Not being disrespectful but you would not really be able to tell if I was wearing a black suit or not and I can re purpose the lot or toss them when I get to my destination. No way I would want to rent a tux or tote a useless garment bag for three or four weeks. And I would have to say I am very conservatively dressed compared to some of the garb I see on formal night especially from the LGBTQ crowd who always lighten things up. Anyone reading this thread would think everyone on Cunard goes around dressed in a monkey suit on formal night which is far from the case.

Assuming you lurk in the shadows of the Queens Room and walk very swiftly in the hallways and enter the Dining Room from the rear door, yes you will pass un-noticed in your well under the code attire. As to stating that not all wear attire up to code, one can always hope that marketing is reaching those who know how to comport themselves in a classy manner and care but then there are always a few errors in every batch.

You can leave the tuxedo out and have him wear the dark suit for formal and informal nights that way you save more space/weight. Dark suit will cover for every night worn with bow ties, 4 in hand ties or no tie.

This is interesting. Does one not need a tuxedo for formal nights? I know basically nothing about the different types of men's formal attire. It would be nice to just bring a black suit that can be worn with a bow tie (and vest?) on formal nights and with or without a tie on informal nights.

You are taking a January TA not a Caribbean cruise so the Hawaiian and camp shirts are not what one might see on such a voyage. He will certainly stand out. The same for shorts outside of the gym as the Atlantic is COLD as will be the outside decks.

I recommend a couple of cotton sweaters to wear over a nice long sleeved sports shirt with collar for day time and long trousers (chinos are not my thing) a tie and blazer for informal evenings.

Oh, don't I know! DH has his own fashion habits. He wears short sleeved camp/Hawsiian shirts year round here in Massachusetts. :rolleyes: I could try getting him a sweater but he might not wear it. He is almost always over heated. He will occasionally wear one of his LL Bean rugby shirts if it is very cold.

As bananavan accurately pointed out you started a thread asking Cunard to restore the old Princess Grill menu. Maybe you're doing to the dress code what you say Cunard is doing to the menu? "Lighter" and "fewer choices" in your formal wear? You cannot have it both ways. If passengers demand more casual dress then the services and menus will follow. You clearly find dressing as requested a burden to be only grudgingly tolerated and as minimally as possible. So explore the possibilities of other lines rather than ruin Cunard for the rest of us.
Exceptionally well said BlueRiband. I esp. liked your comment I have highlighted. Thank you.

We are keen to "look the part" for our one and only formal night. My partner is only taking a dressy black jacket and black trousers (not an actual suit but you it will look like a black suit). Is it considered OK to wear a bow tie when not wearing a tux? Or should he wear a normal black tie? We've not ruled out hiring a tux for a night - when in Rome and all that :)

Despite my views expressed elsewhere in this thread, I can see that for just one formal night, some compromise might be in order! I would say IF the jacket and trousers look enough like a suit AND are worn with a long-sleeve shirt (not short-sleeve as suggested elsewhere), then a bow tie with them would be acceptable. If by "a normal black tie" you mean a tie that goes down to the waist, then I'm afraid wearing one would look as if your partner were going to a funeral! so an "ordinary" coloured tie (with a suitably restrained colour/pattern) would be best.