Back from WindSurf - April 2nd

Tiki_Man

Good morning. We are back from our 2nd Windstar trip (WindSurf - Yachtsman Itin.). I have to say that this trip was very different from our experience on the Legend in December. Overall still very good but just a completely opposite feel.

First, it was Spring Break and there were a LOT of kids on board - honestly maybe 40 out of 272 passengers which just seems 180 degrees from the normal Windstar cruise. The kids were well behaved (ranged in age from 5 or 6 to mid teenager to early college age), but the parents were less behaved. Chair Hog scenario every day. On our previous trip, no kids, just couples, and when 2 people needed or wanted loungers they would find them, use them and then remove towels when not in use so that other could enjoy. This week, before breakfast there would be 4 or 6 loungers in a row at several locations with towels on them ALL DAY. It seemed the families always wanted enough for whoever might join them and then almost never had someone in them. There were times when other passengers would ask the staff to remove towels but that NEVER occurred. We just accepted the situation and made the best of it.

The itinerary was nice but the excursions seemed limited. We never did a ship excursion because we could not find something we wanted to do that they offered. The weather, while pleasant in temp was very windy (18 to 20 knots in open water areas with 4 to 6 foot seas each day). We asked the Captain if this was usual and he stated no, but it had been this pattern for a couple weeks - oh well, Mother Nature. It did make the tender rides rather interesting and some of the night sailings a bit rocky.

Service was very good from the Room, Bar and Dining staff (except for the Matre'd). We never were able to secure a reservation in either Candles or Stella the entire week before 8 pm. We did notice that some passengers ate in these locations EVERY night at 7 or 7:30, so we just ate in Amphora. Nice food selections and the service was very professional. I will comment also that the lunches this trip at Veranda were MUCH improved over the Legend. Better selections and excellent taste so hats off to WindSurf for lunch.

The room was "ok" but no comparison to the Legend in regards to space and comfort (except much better shower head on the WindSurf). We missed having a couch area and just a bit more room to spread out when needed. Also the internet service on WindSurf was much less reliable and slower than on Legend.

The main reason we wanted to try a Sailing ship as opposed to the Motor yacht was due to the glowing recommendations from other passengers on Legend that said we just "had to experience the unfurling of the Sails". NOTE - this is my opinion only - but we were just not impressed or overwhelmed. We did have a full day of passage under only Sails from 8 am til about 5 pm, but other than that, the Captain would unfurl, catch a bit of wind and would be furling them back in less than an hour. Just not something that took our breath away.

The layout of WindSurf is also very different from Legend. Much longer, bigger and more separated locations on Surf. The Legend seemed to have locations more centrally located (pool and deck gathering area in the center as opposed to pool on the stern of Surf). I will say the water sports platform and the tender operation on the Surf was far superior to Legend, so she wins huge points there but just a very different feel for us.

We are glad that we have sailed on WindSurf but not sure that we would ever try her again. The smaller sailing ships maybe, but definitely would enjoy the smaller Motor Yachts again (hopeful that the tender scenarios are improved on the M/V soon).

Last comment, and this has nothing to do with the ship but with Operations. The Disembarkation at St. Marteen is AWFUL, actually BEYOND AWFUL. No managerial command of the situation. We walked off the gangway on the far pier and that was where it seemed all care of the passengers stopped. They had only 2 eight passenger golf carts working, and people cutting in line to jump on board or take over a cart so the majority of passengers had to walk to the luggage area (no terminal of any kind in St Marteen. It is probably a mile walk in the sun and no directions. Then it is just a small cramped popup tent where the luggage is crammed in with no porters, no directions, and no organization (you walk in and out through the same small opening with passengers coming in to claim luggage as other are trying to get out - just silly). The taxi operation was a mess - we asked to go to the airport so they stuck us on a taxi that went to a rental car operation first (we did not know this until we were under way - and the driver did not know where the rental location was located). It put a rather large black eye on an overall pleasant experience. Disappointed that Management could not make this a smoother operation.

We still enjoy Windstar and plan to try them again but with more open eyes to the time of year and the type of ship.

The ship has left the Carib for Europe as of yesterday April 2nd (only 36 passengers on board for 2 weeks), so probably not many questions from anyone but if some does have specific questions I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, Sorry about the spring break crowd. We learned many years ago to avoid that travel time, especially on ships. One cruise had herds of children running from one end of the ship to the other, day and night. We have children and grandchildren but never would have allowed that behavior. My observation, sad to say, is that it's the American children who are running wild and their parents are self-absorbed children in their own right. On the cruises we've taken on Windstar where there have been children, they have been from European countries and have been very well behaved. We live in a tourist area and have experienced the pool lounge chair hogging at local hotels and have chosen to stay home on holiday weekends for just that reason. We have never experienced this on any of our Windstar cruises. Terrible behavior for sure.

As to the difference in ships, I guess it's the old adage of why they make more than one flavor of ice cream. We thoroughly enjoyed the Legend from San Juan this year but just feel so much more at home on the Surf and can't wait to board her again in a little over two weeks. I think it's the first cruise after the crossing mentioned. We've also been on the smaller sailing ships and loved those as well. There's something about sails that enchant us but we would certainly go on the motor yachts without hesitation to get the itinerary that we want.

St. Marteen has always had that odd "walk" and taxi area. It's just a small port without a real terminal. We were the last to board there on the Surf two years ago and had to RUN all the way to the ship, hauling suitcases. It was a sight to behold for sure.

Glad the food was good and can't figure out why you couldn't get Candles or Stella early enough in the evening. Maybe people were eating early because of kids? In my experience it's been the opposite.

The cabins on the Legend are definitely larger than the Surf and are probably more of a "bargain" foot for foot than the sailing ships. We generally reserve a suite on the Surf and pay more than for a comparable suite on the motor yachts. That has given me "food for thought" as I book into the future but again, we love the sails. We're just water people from Florida. We also love the admiring looks that the ship gets when we're onshore and people marvel at the beauty of those masts. We were lucky enough to be on the Surf in Amsterdam last August when the tall ships from around the world met. Boats came by for days on end just to see this massive sailing ship. It was totally cool!

All in all, glad you enjoyed the majority of your cruise and glad you'll try another. Hopefully we'll meet up on one someday! And stay away from Clearwater Beach during spring break and July 4th weekend! The Chamber of Commerce won't like that but it's a word to the wise!

Susan & Steve

Mark, so sorry about your experience. This is definitely not the norm - of our 7 cruises only two have had children on them. Once there were two in their early teens and the other two younger children, probably around ten. All were very well behaved and did not impact the cruise at all.

Thank you for sharing this though - if we ever do plan a Windstar cruise around spring break we will definitely check to see how many kids are on board. I don't mind kids, just don't particularly want to be overwhelmed by the number. It's one of the reasons we go on Windstar. Of course, it does sound like you had more problems with the parents than the kids.

The chair hog scene is also something we have never experienced. So maybe that could be a reason the crew were not quite sure how to handle it.

I have to wonder if it was some kind of "group" that was cruising together. Although I have never experienced it on Windstar, I have experienced "group" mentality on other lines - the group felt more entitled than other passengers because their group had XX number of cabins booked.

Except for our one cruise on the Legend, all our others have been on the sailing yachts. While we loved the large cabin on the Legend, overall we probably prefer the smaller cabin. We found we spent more "cabin time" on the Legend, whereas on the others we were out and about a lot more and, consequentially, met more people.

Happy you will still consider Windstar in the future.

Sailing again soon - can't wait!

Happy you had a good time. Once a crew member told me that the hardest cruises were holidays and school breaks. They said the kids were just let lose so the parents could relax. I have always kept that in mind. I have been on many a WS with European children, no incidents. Once on a WS there was a family with two teens, we happen to have been seated next to them, they and the parents texted the entire meal. Very quiet, just texting. That was rather sad. People have asked me sail or motor, I say can't compare and it is truly your personal preference. We have adored our 18 sail, all perfect no, very good, nearly perfect yes, we adored the one motor. We love the 1492 with the sails and we liked the flag raising on the motor yacht. We are life long sailors so WS and cabins with portholes fit us just fine. All in personal preference and aren't we fortunate that we can do this. Glad you like the WS, happy sailing in the future, ine day perhaos we will bump into you on board.

What you describe can largely be a matter of the crew. We've had mostly good experiences as we are having on the Breeze at this very moment. But, we had one dismal experience on the Surf. Horrible crew without exception. Same problems at dinner, worthless dining room manager who seemed overwhelmed and mostly hid out. Veranda service was like watching the Keystone Cops. But on this one all is back to normal.

Thanks for the review. Seriously considering this ship, but my husband has mobility issues and can't walk far or long without tiring. The smaller ship seems like a win since the bigger lines are getting way to big for even myself to get around with ease. I will make sure we don't book at a spring break time.

Dianne

Thanks for the review. Seriously considering this ship, but my husband has mobility issues and can't walk far or long without tiring. The smaller ship seems like a win since the bigger lines are getting way to big for even myself to get around with ease. I will make sure we don't book at a spring break time.

Dianne

By cruise ship standards, the Surf is still small. Talk to your TA to book a cabin that is closet to your most important things. Book an itinerary where most stops will be by gangway. Tenders are somewhat harder, and zodiac wet landings even more so. Although we just watched output crew get someone in a walker in and out is a zodiac for a wet landing with great care and compassion. Note that the Spirit and Star do NOT have lifts.

• 3 weeks later...

I also was on this cruise leaving 3-26-16. We totally enjoyed this cruise (our 4th with Windstar and the 2nd on the Surf)). Yes the winds and seas were a little rough (my husband left the dinner table early the first few nights) and there were alot of teens and a few children on board (never had a problem with them). That being said, we had a great time! We were a party of 4 and always managed to find lounge chairs when we needed them. Of course the day at sea was busy around the pool so we headed to the front of the boat and had our own private area which was fantastic. (A new experience for us because usually we hang poolside).

One of my favorite moments on the sailing ships are the sails being raised and I have to admit it wasn't so special on this cruise. Also I found the captain not to be so friendly as previous captains. But then again he is new to the company I was told.

We are headed to Europe this summer with 12 members of my family on Celebrity and I know the experience will not be the same. (I hear my husband complaining all ready that Windstar's experience is so much better).

Looking forward to our next Windstar cruise which I hope will be Tahiti!

Dianne

My spouse also has mobility issues. We like the Windsurf. Windsurf is fine since it has elevators. If you can't do stairs, do not book deck one midship. When docking, the sea doors are closed for about 30 minutes. Book on deck one forward/aft or higher deck. The Windstar ships are small and easy to get from place to place.