Windsurf appliance question

olesiabr

I read somewhere in the faq that windsurf electrical outlets operate on 220 only...is this true? Is the plug configuration European (two prong) as well?

Thanks for any insights!

A few weeks ago, I responded to a similar posting, stating that the Surf had both 110 and 220 in each cabin. Several forum members corrected me stating, that the Surf cabins had 220 only, so perhaps I was thinking of other ships on which I had cruised. I am certain however, that the receptacles are the European style. Almost all modern devices run on 110 and 220, so you only need a couple of inexpensive plug adapters.

A few weeks ago, I responded to a similar posting, stating that the Surf had both 110 and 220 in each cabin. Several forum members corrected me stating, that the Surf cabins had 220 only, so perhaps I was thinking of other ships on which I had cruised. I am certain however, that the receptacles are the European style. Almost all modern devices run on 110 and 220, so you only need a couple of inexpensive plug adapters.

I found this on another blog:

What electrical voltage is offered onboard?

Voltage on Wind Star and Wind Spirit is standard 110 AC. Voltage on the Wind Surf is 220; special converters are needed (they are French outlets where the adapter needs 2 round pins).

Guests are encouraged to bring their own travel adaptors as they are not available on board.

To this I can add that the Spirit/Pride/Legend have both 110 and 220 outlets.

As others have said, almost any appliance you bring with you will operate on both 110 and 220, so all you need is the adapter. By "French outlets" the blogger just really means a standard continental European plug. You'll find them in a couple varieties, some are very small and others have a fairly large housing. I prefer the small since some outlets don't accommodate the large housing. I don't remember the situation on the Surf.

That's really good news...was it the shaver plug in the bathroom, or an outlet at the desk? Did the 110 plug have euro two round prong configuration, or north American style three prong?

Oh, and when you have a moment, would love to hear about your trip!

It was located at the desk area. The 110 was North American style, the two 220's were European style - I believe two prong but not really sure since we didn't need to use them.

I will be writing a review of the trip later - need to catch up on things at home first. It was a wonderful cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We definitely had both 110 and 220 in our cabin on the Surf next to the desk. We used the 110 for battery chargers for the camera and the 220 with an adapter for the cell phone which could take either. Don't recall which type, although if forced to say one, it was the two round prongs, not the Brit style. We have a couple of adapters and a converter, so I might be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all! Looks like I'll be bringing my euro flat iron on this trip...

Better not bring that iron. You'll have it confiscated if it's found. Electric irons and surge protectors are a big no no for use on cruise ships.

As for the 'hidden' 110 outlet in the bathroom anything that draws more current than an electric razor will trip the outlets fault protector followed by an introduction to the ships electrician.

Better not bring that iron. You'll have it confiscated if it's found. Electric irons and surge protectors are a big no no for use on cruise ships.

As for the 'hidden' 110 outlet in the bathroom anything that draws more current than an electric razor will trip the outlets fault protector followed by an introduction to the ships electrician.

I believe she was talking about a hair appliance, not a laundry appliance. The hair appliance is completely acceptable.

Unfamiliar with the Euro term 'flat iron'. I'm guessing that 'flat iron' is a synonym for what we call a 'curling iron' in the US. Thanks for the clarification. I'm kind of surprised that they are legal aboard a ship as they are heat producing appliances.

Unfamiliar with the Euro term 'flat iron'. I'm guessing that 'flat iron' is a synonym for what we call a 'curling iron' in the US. Thanks for the clarification. I'm kind of surprised that they are legal aboard a ship as they are heat producing appliances.

Nope. A flat iron is a flat iron in Europe and the US (and Canada, Australia, NZ, etc.). It does the opposite of curling and is no different in the way it heats than a curling iron. Most turn off after a certain amount of time or if they aren't moved after a certain amount of time.

Edited by ducklite

• 1 year later...
Windstar Pride is there 110 voltage in room not just the plug in bathroom?

The plug in the bathroom may only be used for shavers. From Windstar's webpage:

Voltage is standard 110/220 on all Windstar ships. Special converters are needed using the Europlug (two round pins) standard. Guests will need to bring their own travel adaptors as they are not available on board. For your convenience, there is a hair dryer in each stateroom or suite. There are only 110v US plugs on Wind Spirit.

The bathroom 110V outlet, designed solely to run or charge electric razors, will accommodate a night light as well. Putting a dim night light in the bathroom (a night light won't trip the breaker in your bathroom) keeps you from flooding your suite with bright bathroom light late at night as light switches are outside the bathrooms on most ships. Make sure you've selected the correct voltage from that 'razor' plug. We always pack a very small night light wherever we travel - even for hotel stays.

Behind the TV in the TV enclosure in your suite is a 110V outlet (that you're probably not supposed to know about) where you could/can plug a very short extension cord to plug in all the battery chargers you've brought with you. That little cord can save the day on the 110V desk plug because the 110V and 220V outlets on your ship are recessed into the furniture making it impossible to plug in many devices.

Do not bring any type of multi plug adapter that incorporates a surge protector. Surge protectors are forbidden on all ships and constitute a potential fire hazard when used with marine electrical systems :eek:. If found, the device will be confiscated and [if you're lucky] returned to you at the end of your voyage.

Thanks for the information! Next question... are there bikes available to rent are on the Pride? I have searched the website and see pics but no info as to availability or cost. Also, can you make a reservation for the specialty restaurant before you get on the ship? Do they post when the special deck buffet is prior to sailing? We'd like to dine in the specialty restaurant but not on the deck buffet night. Any ideas?

Thanks for the information! Next question... are there bikes available to rent are on the Pride? I have searched the website and see pics but no info as to availability or cost. Also, can you make a reservation for the specialty restaurant before you get on the ship? Do they post when the special deck buffet is prior to sailing? We'd like to dine in the specialty restaurant but not on the deck buffet night. Any ideas?

To the best of my knowledge, only the three sailing yachts have the bicycles to rent. I have not seen them on the power yachts. They offer Dragon Marine Folding Bikes and the fee used to be $39/half day and $59/full day. Candles is not open the night of the BBQ so they would not allow you to make reservations for Candles on that evening. You cannot make Candles reservations until you board the ship.

The last time I was on any of the Windstar Yachts I didn't see or hear of loaner or rental bikes but that was almost two years ago so I can not offer an updated answer.

I tried to book reservations for specialty dining when I booked our trips but was told I couldn't. With a max of 212 passengers you shouldn't have a problem, we never did, even on sold out cruises. We also tend to eat as late as possible so that might have made a difference? You can book when checking in.

I asked your question about the giant (you're in for a treat) buffet when booking and was told that it's almost impossible for them to know what day it will be due to weather conditions - made sense. I believe that specialty dining isn't available if it's buffet night. The Main dining room is available though. To avoid any disappointment book specialty dining during the firs 3-4 days of your cruise.