Category B cabins - Windsurf

tbmrt

I'm ready to pull the trigger to book, but TA is telling me that the B cabins showing on their site are incorrect. Suggested I take 108 or 110 which I read are near the gangplank and had motor noise.

Other alternative would be to go to cabins with 150's which I understand are pretty far from side of ship with pool, etc.

Advise appreciated.

Thanks

Barbara

Our experience is that motor noise increases as you go aft, and the bottom deck will be louder than the upper deck.

That said, when under sail, there is no noise or vibration.

Being near the gangway is not an issue on Wind Surf.

Edited by Host Walt

Walt, I must disagree with you about the Gangway. Room 220 is adjacent to the Gangway area for tender use. Folks start to mill about and line up in the tiny staircase area and it can be a bit loud and cramped. Now of course at night it is not an issue unless it is a late sailaway at midnight or 11 pm (St Barts and Antigua on our itin). Tenders are still running late at night right outside the porthole area.

Also, engine noise vs sail noise. On our itin, the sails were used during the day on our Sea Day but other than that, she was under motor most of the time.

We were farther towards the bow and had no noise issues (138), and its not a long walk to the pool - nothing is a along walk on Surf.

Good luck

On our last cruise, we had 142 and my mom had 154 and they were both just fine. Comfortable and no noise that we noticed. Being far from the pool is not an issue - the entire ship is only 535 feet at the waterline and you would already be part way to the pool area in those cabins.

As Tiki Man noted - nothing is too far away on the Surf.

Thinking of cabin 155 or 153. True, ship is smaller, etc.

However, I've read about smoke issues from crew in this area...Anyone experience this?

Don't know what I'd do without my CC friends! Thanks

On our last cruise, we had 142 and my mom had 154 and they were both just fine. Comfortable and no noise that we noticed. Being far from the pool is not an issue - the entire ship is only 535 feet at the waterline and you would already be part way to the pool area in those cabins.

As Tiki Man noted - nothing is too far away on the Surf.

Several times in the elevator/stair area in front of 154, we got a little "whiff" of smoke probably coming up the stairway from the crew quarters below. Not enough to bother us. We also had friends who stayed in 155 and they "thought" that "maybe" they could smell a little smoke in their cabin a couple of times but it wasn't even strong enough that they could say for sure. We were all paying very close attention to the smoke smell issue based on earlier complaints.

However, given what they said about 155 and if you are extremely sensitive, I would choose something a little further aft or a cabin on the starboard side, if possible, just to make sure to avoid any potential problem.

Walt, I must disagree with you about the Gangway. Room 220 is adjacent to the Gangway area for tender use. Folks start to mill about and line up in the tiny staircase area and it can be a bit loud and cramped. Now of course at night it is not an issue unless it is a late sailaway at midnight or 11 pm (St Barts and Antigua on our itin). Tenders are still running late at night right outside the porthole area...

Tiki, you're right. Our experience was on an itinerary with only one tender port so I'm not qualified to say much on that subject. My problem was with engine noise and vibration when not under sail.

We were in cabin 124 in January 2016. Just about smack dab in the middle and easy access to everything on the ship. One thing to know is that at times, they close the water doors on that level and you have to know your staircase to access your cabin ;)

We weren't in one of the high numbered 1xx cabins but whenever we walked past, the area at the bottom of the stairs reeked of smoke from the crew area. We were told the venting system was broken, perhaps it's been repaired.

• 2 weeks later...