Sea Walk in Geiranger - anyone used it?

MawganTr

We are back today from a fabulous trip on Azura to the Fjords. In Geiranger we had to use the tenders - quite a big operation for the crew I would imagine. It was literally one minute on the tender to shore. The sea walk though was in the port when we were last there 2 years ago but not used and again this year, unused. Is there a reason for this? It would surely be so much easier for passengers to walk off the ship?

Nevertheless, a most beautiful port!

As I understand it, Carnival refused to contribute to the cost of the sea walk so Caranival ships are not allowed to use it.

Brian

Have actually seen one of the Cunard ships on the Geiranger webcam using the seawalk. Our upcomong trip on QE was originally down as a tender port (there was a Celebrity ship in - they always use it - perhaps they did contribute!) but our itinerary has been switched round and we are no longer due to tender there - there are no other ships in and in the absence of an advertised tender operation I am assuming we will use it. (I'll let you know if I'm wrong when we get back.) We used it with Celebrity and it is so convenient.

Perhaps it's a cost issue. Clearly if more than one ship is in, there could be issues of prior claim if a company has an interest in the sea walk otherwise is it who is prepared to pay the most? But if you look at the webcams often ships are in the Fjord with no-one using the sea walk so there has to be some reason behind that.

Not that it would be appropriate here as they now have the sea walk - but this is an interesting concept!

http://www.cayman27.com.ky/2015/08/21/cable-cars-replace-tenders-in-new-cruise-port-idea

Just found this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=geiranger+sea+walk&tbm=isch&imgil=f91oOY5EGdSBdM%253A%253Br7dRBTA9gaJOLM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.captaingreybeard.com%25252F2013%25252F03%25252Fseawalk-pier-for-geiranger.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=f91oOY5EGdSBdM%253A%252Cr7dRBTA9gaJOLM%252C_&biw=1280&bih=619&usg=__q6W5rcc81Zd3-bV8YkCqBPpRhhA%3D&ved=0CDIQyjdqFQoTCNTo8NOxvMcCFVIX2wod4jAEKA&ei=WkLYVdTTKdKu7Abi4ZDAAg#imgrc=f91oOY5EGdSBdM%3A&usg=__q6W5rcc81Zd3-bV8YkCqBPpRhhA%3D

Edited by kruzseeka

We used it on a Celebrity Cruise. Made the shore vosit much better as it was absolutely throwing it down. Being able to nip back to ship quickly to avoid the worse of it made it worthwhile.

P&O obviously have a company policy not to pay the fee.

We used it on a Celebrity Cruise. Made the shore vosit much better as it was absolutely throwing it down. Being able to nip back to ship quickly to avoid the worse of it made it worthwhile.

P&O obviously have a company policy not to pay the fee.

I looked at the webcam for this port all last year and I did not see ones hip use the dock apart from Celebrity and ships of the same company. The other non Carnival ships did not use it either.

I looked at the webcam for this port all last year and I did not see ones hip use the dock apart from Celebrity and ships of the same company. The other non Carnival ships did not use it either.

According to this website (go to cruise calls) have non-RCCL cruise ships using the sea walk including Fred Olsen and Costa (Carnival).

www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls

and the link in post #3 does appear to have the Queen Elizabeth connected to it.

Is it tragic to say I enjoy the novelty of using tenders. (!!!)

Definately not! I love the tenders too, especially if there's a few waves around!:)

But to be fair, the seawalk looks as if it would help those in wheelchairs to at least get ashore.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Well, not able to confirm that the QE uses the sea walk - just returned but we weren't the only ship in Geiranger and the Serenade of the Seas was using it - predictable once we realised she was in port (RCCL). So we did have to tender.

We are back today from a fabulous trip on Azura to the Fjords. In Geiranger we had to use the tenders - quite a big operation for the crew I would imagine. It was literally one minute on the tender to shore. The sea walk though was in the port when we were last there 2 years ago but not used and again this year, unused. Is there a reason for this? It would surely be so much easier for passengers to walk off the ship?

Nevertheless, a most beautiful port!

Yes, but not with P&O.

We were on Celebrity Infinity and it was a great way to 'walk' ashore...

14661135223_e5ec589df3_z.jpg

14618242876_e0f29df87c_z.jpg

It certainly made the visit to Geiranger more attractive....

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/07/16/one-way-to-do-geiranger-fjord/

Edited by Solent Richard

Yes, but not with P&O.

We were on Celebrity Infinity and it was a great way to 'walk' ashore...

14661135223_e5ec589df3_z.jpg

14618242876_e0f29df87c_z.jpg

It certainly made the visit to Geiranger more attractive....

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/07/16/one-way-to-do-geiranger-fjord/

I really enjoyed reading your blog. We were on that trip too - what a day! Glorious weather and the 360° by the Seven Sisters - just fabulous and unforgettable.

One interesting development in Geiranger this year is the availability of self drive electric cars which can be hired for varying lengths of time to access different viwepoints. I would find them a bit scary as they are very small and very close to the ground (all those hair pins!) but we saw several in use and they do offer another means of getting about for those who might be interested.

I have to say that it is an eyesore ruining one of the most beautiful places I have been to. It may help passengers to go ashore but I think that aesthetically, it is a price too high to pay. I know a few are unable to use tenders comfortably but presumably some are unable to walk the distance comfortably either. I applaud P & O for their apparent reluctance to use it.

I have to say that it is an eyesore ruining one of the most beautiful places I have been to. It may help passengers to go ashore but I think that aesthetically, it is a price too high to pay. I know a few are unable to use tenders comfortably but presumably some are unable to walk the distance comfortably either. I applaud P & O for their apparent reluctance to use it.

I dont see it as an eyesore at all. And enviromentally its way less damaging than hundreds of tenders going back and forth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definately not! I love the tenders too, especially if there's a few waves around!:)

But to be fair, the seawalk looks as if it would help those in wheelchairs to at least get ashore.

Yes but for those not in wheelchairs but with problems walking any distance it looks like a long walk before you even get started on your shore visit.

It is not an eyesore, especially when not deployed where it just looks like part of the dock. That means the whole of the winter :)

Safer than tenders as well but the P&O risk assesors (bean counters) are probably hoping nobody will drown during tendering for a few more years, or at least until their xmas bonuses are safely in their bank accounts :rolleyes:

It is not an eyesore, especially when not deployed where it just looks like part of the dock. That means the whole of the winter :)

Safer than tenders as well but the P&O risk assesors (bean counters) are probably hoping nobody will drown during tendering for a few more years, or at least until their xmas bonuses are safely in their bank accounts :rolleyes:

ImageUploadedByForums1441185066.963335.jpg.d81c2ff7d19bc9fa14577e41490523b4.jpg Well these two have the same bean counters then Princess and Holland America. And MSC don't use it or any of the smaller lines.

Edited by daiB

[ATTACH]361232[/ATTACH] Well these two have the same bean counters then Princess and Holland America. And MSC don't use it or any of the smaller lines.

Yes, because it is more expensive to use than tendering but safer :rolleyes:

how does it go? about 40 years ago some 90% of corporate profits were reinvested in the companies and the shareholders got 10%. Today some 60-70% goes to the shareholders and the remainder is reinvested.

The world is becoming obsessed with quick profits. :mad:

Maybe the corporate bean counters are looking to the future and the possibility of the mountain falling into the fjord, in which case there won't be a Geiranger anymore :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, because it is more expensive to use than tendering but safer :rolleyes:

how does it go? about 40 years ago some 90% of corporate profits were reinvested in the companies and the shareholders got 10%. Today some 60-70% goes to the shareholders and the remainder is reinvested.

The world is becoming obsessed with quick profits. :mad:

Maybe the corporate bean counters are looking to the future and the possibility of the mountain falling into the fjord, in which case there won't be a Geiranger anymore :eek::eek::eek:

And maybe because it was part paid for by RCI they have a deal on it and there are local politics involved.

Moritz Dai

Moritz !

:):):)

ps - Dai will explain the famous 'Moritz' incident on Oceana :D

No he won't. :)

Anyway they both start with a M. :)

Edited by daiB