Carribean excursions

Hawthorn44

Hi we are going on brittania for a Xmas cruise round the carribean on 19th December. Really excited and looking forward to it. Just checked the p and o cruise personaliser and wondered if it's easy to get taxis to and from beaches at the ports and whether any trips are available at the ports? We are a family of four and not keen on paying £100 on transfers to the beach! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes it is! The Caribbean is great for adopting a DiY approach. There are taxis and /or minibuses which offer beach transfers or island tours. The variety of tours offered dockside often cover the places where the ship's excursions go and in some ports public transport is easy too. We use the local buses in Antigua and Barbados and water taxis for some beach transfers too eg Grenada and St Maarten.

All of those options are much cheaper than ship's trips and the drivers are good at coming back for you at an appointed time since they rely heavily on your custom. A beach transfer depending on distance might be around $5-10 p.p. and at most beaches you have to budget for beach furniture too which can be typically around $15 for two loungers and one umbrella just to give you an idea. (A few beaches can be much higher eg Palm Beach St Lucia where friends paid $35 for two loungers and umbrella - but try walking further up the beach from the drop off point and negotiate - you'll possibly get them for half that!)

On some islands there are well recommended tour firms who offer excellent day excursions - we've used Cosol on St Lucia and many others on here have too. I've never read anything other than glowing reports of him - a whole day including food and drinks is about £50 p.p. and excellent value. You can book ahead and pay on the day.

http://www.cosol-tours.com

If you research what you want to do at your ports of call, I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions about how you can DiY.

So far for December I have booked Cosol tours for St Lucia and Aristocats for Tortola. Trying to book Myislandtours for St Kitts but, although the reviews are 1st class, I can't seem to get a reply to my emails.

For St. Kitts, I can recommend Rose & Jim's taxis - we picked them up at the port but you can book in advance online. Rose is from Leeds and Jim is from St Kitts so they have a fantastic knowledge of the place. They suggest a tour to show you all the highlights, but you can request stops if you want them added in. At the end of a lovely day we asked to be dropped in the town so we could have a quick look round the market stalls before walking back to the ship.

Hi,

which ports are you calling at?

Can I also recomend local busses at Aruba to get to Palm and eagle beach are easy to use, and the taxi on Tortola to cane garden bay very good, they've always been on time to pick us back up too. Barbados local taxis are very good and we use the boatyard as they have an arangement with the local taxis to take you back, and the facilities there are fab.

The only thing I would say is Jamaica if you are going to diy do your research on the company or do po trip.

There are pros and cons to both, the main one being if on a ship tour and you are late back the ship will still be there, if your diy and late back the ship as a rule will not be there and you will have to either hope the pilot boat will take you out or make your way to the next port of call at your own expense. This expense will not be covered by your insurance as your own fault. I do not speak from experience but from the experience of a work colleague, who had to apologise to the captin for being late and we're lucky the pilot boat would take them.

There are many ports that have very good services that can be diy and even just a wander around the local town safely, St Kitts is one, and has a lovely museum run by a lady from Nottingham that's an easy walk from the terminal.

St Lucia's changing you need to be a little more careful walking outside the terminal, it's not as easy going as it used to be.

Tortola is very easy to walk around the town the people are lovely and friendly.

Grenada is ok but like everywhere else common sense is needed.

Dominica has just been hit by a terrible hurricane and loss of life and the people have little enough as it is, and the infrastructure there was not great as it was. So what it will be like now is anyone's guess, but I hope po don't drop it as tourist dollar main source of income and the people are lovely and the island is very beautiful.

Either way have a fab time.

H

For private tour of Antigua, I would highly recommend Lawrence of Antigua. We did a tour with him in February, which includes a few hours on a beach. Far cheaper than ships excursions. You will see everything. He is an absolute gentleman, his minibus is immaculately clean. Ice cold drinks provided Just google Lawrence of Antigua

Hi we are going on brittania for a Xmas cruise round the carribean on 19th December. Really excited and looking forward to it. Just checked the p and o cruise personaliser and wondered if it's easy to get taxis to and from beaches at the ports and whether any trips are available at the ports? We are a family of four and not keen on paying £100 on transfers to the beach! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi hawthorn,

we are on this same cruise, like you a family of four and probably like you our budget can't stretch to doing ship's excursions all the time.

I've done quite a lot of research and am in the process of booking up excursions. I hope you'll find the following info. useful:

On Barbados we fly out on 18th and are doing a ship's tour on 19th because it was s.th. we really wanted to do (Atlantis submarine). We did look at the Boatyard though, for a lazy 1/2 day. I costed it at about £30 pp for transport there by taxi, back, entrance to the Boatyard, use of the facilities and drinks. Entrance to the Boatyard, which costs £13 pp includes, lounger, umbrella, return shuttle to ship, drink and food).

Aruba: Inside the cruise terminal is an excursion booth. If you ask there they will direct you to people in blue uniforms outside offering bus tours on clean, air conditioned buses. Tour lasts about 3 hours, covers the main sights and costs £15 pp. At the cruise terminal there is a boardwalk for vendors' stalls, shops and cafés across the road, and a trolley bus which runs from the port down the main shopping st every 45 mins.

Grand Cayman: we're doing a distillery tour DIY, visiting the rum cake shops and the Cayman Islands National Museum (on the waterfront). A taxi to Seagrape Beach is about £4 pp and about £6 each for loungers.

Cayman in a Nutshell offer island tours for around £59 pp (5 hour tour) or £20 pp (2 hour tour).

Ochos Rios: companies such as Liberty Tours, Know Jamaica, Travel Jamaica, Peat Taylor and Courtney Taylor all have good reputations. We're planning on doing the river tubing with Courtney Taylor.

Antigua: other tour companies besides Lawrence - Adventure Antigua, Tour Guide Gordon.

Dominica: Bumpiing Tours or there is a tourist desk in the cruise terminal where they will point you in the direction of safari bus tours etc. which cover the main sights at a cost of about £13 pp.

Hope this helps - see you around on board maybe!

For private tour of Antigua, I would highly recommend Lawrence of Antigua. We did a tour with him in February, which includes a few hours on a beach. Far cheaper than ships excursions. You will see everything. He is an absolute gentleman, his minibus is immaculately clean. Ice cold drinks provided Just google Lawrence of Antigua

Just booked with him for later in October. Can't wait

We have been to the Caribbean twice and have always used P&O shore excursions.

That is not to say we would not use independent operators.

However, a note of caution. We used a taxi to take us to a beach in St Maarten, paid one way and agreed a time for a pick up in the affternoon for the trip back to the ship, he never showed, he must have had a better offer !!! We managed to get back to the ship on a minibus.

Just booked with him for later in October. Can't wait

I have booked him too for our cruise in Feb.

You can do the Atlantis sub in Aruba as well as Barbados - we did it last time. I booked it independantly.

Did you all know there is a PO Cruising the Caribbean forum as well on FB?

Just looked at your itinerary and we've done all of these ports but one. Although P&O brain-washes you into thinking you need to do an excursion, it is really not what a Caribbean holiday is all about. There is not a great deal of interest to see in many of the ports and we learned the hard way and just go now to relax and have fun.

Tortola - There will be lots of tourist open-sided buses at the port. Hundreds of people from the ship will join these, and each one leaves as it fills up. You get a fab overview of this lovely small island and end up at Cane Garden beach. Great value - $25.

Jamaica- The only place on any cruise we've ever felt unsafe so don't do your own thing. Have a day on the ship or take a hotel day pass. We did the tour to Negril and there were armed guards on the beach - honestly!

St Maarten - There is a ferry from the port that takes you across to the main town in about 10 minutes. There is a beach, loads of restaurants and bars, as well as HUNDREDS of duty-free shops. It's a bit too American for us but many people love it fro the shopping.

Grand Cayman - Local buses / a taxi to Nine Mile beach. You can spend the day there very cheaply if you do it that way and choose your spot instead of just an hour or two on an expensive P&O beach transfer. Also good for shopping and more upmarket.

Aruba - Local bus terminal is right opposite the port. You can easily take a bus from there to the glorious local beaches a short distance away.

Antigua - get a shared taxi (Lots around the port, there is a taxi kiosk in the duty free shopping area at the port where they sort everything out for you) or get a local bus (bus terminal near the local market, any local will tell you how to get there.) to English Harbour for a stroll round, great views, museums if you're interested and a few little bars / eateries.

Grenada- interesting walk round town - spice market etc - just enjoying the atmosphere.

Barbados - Don't know if you've got a day there but if so for first timers the Boatyard is great fun. There will be hundreds (honestly!) mini-van taxis at the port and they will charge you a few dollars to get there, just the other side of Bridgetown. The Boatyard offers free transport back to the port.

Have a great time.

Hi hawthorn,

we are on this same cruise, like you a family of four and probably like you our budget can't stretch to doing ship's excursions all the time.

I've done quite a lot of research and am in the process of booking up excursions. I hope you'll find the following info. useful:

On Barbados we fly out on 18th and are doing a ship's tour on 19th because it was s.th. we really wanted to do (Atlantis submarine). We did look at the Boatyard though, for a lazy 1/2 day. I costed it at about £30 pp for transport there by taxi, back, entrance to the Boatyard, use of the facilities and drinks. Entrance to the Boatyard, which costs £13 pp includes, lounger, umbrella, return shuttle to ship, drink and food).

Aruba: Inside the cruise terminal is an excursion booth. If you ask there they will direct you to people in blue uniforms outside offering bus tours on clean, air conditioned buses. Tour lasts about 3 hours, covers the main sights and costs £15 pp. At the cruise terminal there is a boardwalk for vendors' stalls, shops and cafés across the road, and a trolley bus which runs from the port down the main shopping st every 45 mins.

Grand Cayman: we're doing a distillery tour DIY, visiting the rum cake shops and the Cayman Islands National Museum (on the waterfront). A taxi to Seagrape Beach is about £4 pp and about £6 each for loungers.

Cayman in a Nutshell offer island tours for around £59 pp (5 hour tour) or £20 pp (2 hour tour).

Ochos Rios: companies such as Liberty Tours, Know Jamaica, Travel Jamaica, Peat Taylor and Courtney Taylor all have good reputations. We're planning on doing the river tubing with Courtney Taylor.

Antigua: other tour companies besides Lawrence - Adventure Antigua, Tour Guide Gordon.

Dominica: Bumpiing Tours or there is a tourist desk in the cruise terminal where they will point you in the direction of safari bus tours etc. which cover the main sights at a cost of about £13 pp.

Hope this helps - see you around on board maybe!

Hi If going to the BOATYARD from the Port in BARBADOS, only pay for a ONE WAY taxi ride, as when you pay your entrance fee at Boatyard, your RETURN taxi/minibus is INCLUDED, as well as your bed, umbrella and free cocktail or beer :) ENJOY:) Your entrance fee $13pp and one way taxi $5 pp BRILLIANT value and Fantastic time will be had by all

Edited by yamanid

Hi If going to the BOATYARD from the Port in BARBADOS, only pay for a ONE WAY taxi ride, as when you pay your entrance fee at Boatyard, your RETURN taxi/minibus is INCLUDED, as well as your bed, umbrella and free cocktail or beer :) ENJOY:) Your entrance fee $13pp and one way taxi $5 pp BRILLIANT value and Fantastic time will be had by all

Thanks for tip. I'll try that in December.

It is only a brisk 20 minute walk to the Boatyard. Good exercise after all that cruise food.

Cb

Just done a Google Earth and yes, it's an easy stroll to the Boatyard. So, 5th December, here I come. Lets hope I get back to the ship in a fit state and on time so I don't miss the sailaway :eek:

Just done a Google Earth and yes, it's an easy stroll to the Boatyard. So, 5th December, here I come. Lets hope I get back to the ship in a fit state and on time so I don't miss the sailaway :eek:

If you don't want it quite as lively and busy (music etc.)as the Boatyard carry on about 75 yards to Lobsters Alive, a much better deal but a return taxi is not included. I believe the food is excellent in the somewhat rustic restaurant

shallwe, yamanid has the cost of the Boatyard as $13, it's about $20 at current exchange rates, which converts to £13.00. Still darn good value though. We were really torn between that and the sub.

BTW owena, I wanted to book the Atlantis sub independently in Barbados, but the company actually say on their website they prefer to take cruise passengers through ship's excursions and in fact wouldn't let you book direct with them. Also I costed it out and doing an excursion with P&O was actually slightly cheaper!: eek:

I've arranged everything else DIY for our upcoming cruise.

shallwe, yamanid has the cost of the Boatyard as $13, it's about $20 at current exchange rates, which converts to £13.00. Still darn good value though. We were really torn between that and the sub.

BTW owena, I wanted to book the Atlantis sub independently in Barbados, but the company actually say on their website they prefer to take cruise passengers through ship's excursions and in fact wouldn't let you book direct with them. Also I costed it out and doing an excursion with P&O was actually slightly cheaper!: eek:

I've arranged everything else DIY for our upcoming cruise.

OOOPPPS!! Sorry got my £'S AND DOLLARS MIXED UP - YES brilliant value and not far to go either you can see the ship from the Beach:)

Just looked at your itinerary and we've done all of these ports but one. Although P&O brain-washes you into thinking you need to do an excursion, it is really not what a Caribbean holiday is all about. There is not a great deal of interest to see in many of the ports and we learned the hard way and just go now to relax and have fun.

Tortola - There will be lots of tourist open-sided buses at the port. Hundreds of people from the ship will join these, and each one leaves as it fills up. You get a fab overview of this lovely small island and end up at Cane Garden beach. Great value - $25.

Jamaica- The only place on any cruise we've ever felt unsafe so don't do your own thing. Have a day on the ship or take a hotel day pass. We did the tour to Negril and there were armed guards on the beach - honestly!

St Maarten - There is a ferry from the port that takes you across to the main town in about 10 minutes. There is a beach, loads of restaurants and bars, as well as HUNDREDS of duty-free shops. It's a bit too American for us but many people love it fro the shopping.

Grand Cayman - Local buses / a taxi to Nine Mile beach. You can spend the day there very cheaply if you do it that way and choose your spot instead of just an hour or two on an expensive P&O beach transfer. Also good for shopping and more upmarket.

Aruba - Local bus terminal is right opposite the port. You can easily take a bus from there to the glorious local beaches a short distance away.

Antigua - get a shared taxi (Lots around the port, there is a taxi kiosk in the duty free shopping area at the port where they sort everything out for you) or get a local bus (bus terminal near the local market, any local will tell you how to get there.) to English Harbour for a stroll round, great views, museums if you're interested and a few little bars / eateries.

Grenada- interesting walk round town - spice market etc - just enjoying the atmosphere.

Barbados - Don't know if you've got a day there but if so for first timers the Boatyard is great fun. There will be hundreds (honestly!) mini-van taxis at the port and they will charge you a few dollars to get there, just the other side of Bridgetown. The Boatyard offers free transport back to the port.

Have a great time.

tartanexile - do you know if the taxi kiosk in the duty-free shopping area in Antigua can arrange round the island tours, or is it purely taxis from A to B? If whole island tours are available, do you have any idea of the cost pp? We were going to do a tour with one of the usual companies, but I wonder if this might be cheaper and shorter, as we're doing tours on some of the other islands and it might get a bit same-y. Also, if you just do an A to B ride, English Harbour say, will the driver come back for you at an agreed time? Thanks