Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Those of you who are interested in purchasing a 24 or 72 hour travel card can do that directly from the SL website:

https://sl.se/sv/kop-biljett/#/periodbiljett

Click köp once for each card you want to add. So if you want to buy two 24 hour travel cards, click köp twice.

For those who are entitled to a reduced price, select reducerat pris from the drop down menu.

All travel cards are also valid for Djurgårdsfärjan.

Just one quick question - I assume the clock starts on the travel card at the first use? So if we buy now and they get mailed to us and not used until June, that would be okay?

Thank you!

---

Edit: This seems to suggest it must be picked up at a ticket vending machine (not mailed to us?) and used within 60 days of purchase:

Du får tillgång till din biljett/reskassa 1-3 dagar efter köpet

Biljetten hämtar du i en SL Access-automat tidigast dagen efter köpet. På bussen kan det ta upp till 3 dagar. Du måste hämta biljetten/reskassan inom 60 dagar från köptillfället.

Du måste börja använda periodbiljetter utan fast startdatum inom 60 dagar från köptillfället.

Google translate:

You can access your ticket / travel funds 1-3 days after purchase

The ticket pick you up in an SL Access vending machine earliest days of purchase. On the bus , it can take up to 3 days. You must retrieve the ticket / travel funds within 60 days of purchase.

You need to start using season tickets with no fixed start date within 60 days of purchase.

---

Is it easiest to buy the travel card in the cruise terminal when we dock?

Edited by Kryssa

@kryssa ok I did not know that but I am not surprised.

SL who manages the local traffic in Stockholm are infamous for their user unfriendly ticket system where it's very hard for people who don't live in Stockholm to acquire tickets in advances.

It seems in your case it won't make a difference since you cannot pick up the card until you arrive anyway.

Edited by Desdichado62

I have another quick question, I am thinking about getting the Stockholm card as it covers transportation and entrance to museums. I needed to confirm that it will cover my round trip costs from Nynashmn train station to Stockholm train station. Thanks, Sam;)

Sam you won't be able to use the full value of the Stockholm card.

It costs 525SEK (about $63 USD) and you will only be using about 350SEK (about $42USD) of it's value.

But sure it is valid for all SL public transport in Stockholm including Djugårdsfärjan (although not a part of SL) and the commuter trains (such as the one to/from Nynäshamn).

Edited by Desdichado62

Desdichado62,

One last question from me. What will temp in F be May 25th to 28th and will it be colder in St Petersburg. Coming from Phoenix Arizona winter closes are very lite--nice sweat shirts lite jacket and jeans, tennis shoes. Will that work as we cruise to Amsterdam or should I include shorter pants like capri's I happen to be very comfortable at 85 degree and dress warm at

65 F

In Phoenix Arizona we have very little to no humidity so 100 F degree feels comfortable.

I assume gloves, hat scarf and umbrella might be needed

Thanks D, I just figured that my time I add up the train, bus and ferry rides I could as well get the Stockholm card and see more than the Vasa museum. But I think that I will take your advice and stick to my original plan of getting the 24 hour card for 115 Sek. Sam.

Desdichado62,

One last question from me. What will temp in F be May 25th to 28th and will it be colder in St Petersburg.

No you won't need hats, scarves and gloves and etc.

It impossible to say exactly what kind of weather you will experience since it varies allot from year to year and even from one day to another.

The normal maximum temperature in May is around +18C

http://www.smhi.se/klimatdata/meteorologi/temperatur/normaldygnets-maximitemperaturs-medelvarde-i-maj-1.4017

The normal minimum temperature is +6C

http://www.smhi.se/klimatdata/meteorologi/temperatur/normaldygnets-minimitemperaturs-medelvarde-i-maj-1.4062

However you have to realize that the end of May is usually much warmer then the start of May.

So I suggest that you check the weather forecasts a few days (no more then 5 days) before you leave and then decide what kind of clothes you want to bring.

if we are docked at Stadsgarden, what is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum? Where would we catch the HOHO boat,

if that is the best option? Also, where is the Ice Bar and how would we get there from our ship?

I think the HoHo boats would be the easiest way of getting to Vasa. They depart from the same quay as the one your ship berths at.

It is on the right corner in this pciture: https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3160816,18.1046222,134m/data=!3m1!1e3

From Vasa to Ice bar, bus #69 or #69K from Strandvägen towards Karolinska institutet, get off at Centralstation or at Kungsgatan stop.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm/Vasaplan+4,+111+20+Stockholm/@59.3323251,18.0747182,1040m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d546d8329af:0xcff09af1b4c13241!2m2!1d18.091396!2d59.328023!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d60e5c4c319:0x1a4bbe94188be077!2m2!1d18.056837!2d59.3322291!3e3

Be aware that you need to buy bus tickets in advance since tickets are not sold onboard the buses or trams (except the vintage tram).

Edited by Desdichado62

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Our ship is docking in Nyashamm when we go to Stockholm.

We also will be using tenders/launches. Looks like this dock is around an hour

from the main part of Stockholm. Any suggestions of how to get to stockholm?

Should we book a tour? Take public transportation. How easy is it to get around Stockholm once we get there? Want to go to Gamma Stan and the city center perhaps to the vasa museum and maybe the royal palace.

Not sure if there is any other recommendations of places we should see.

The ship docks at 7 am on a Saturday and leaves that evening at 7 pm

Should we book a tour? Take public transportation. How easy is it to get around Stockholm once we get there? Want to go to Gamma Stan and the city center perhaps to the vasa museum and maybe the royal palace.

We had a similar cruise just last week. After tendering into the port of Nynashamn, we bought round trip shuttle bus tickets from the tourist center to take us to the train station. The train station is like a 15 minutes walk away but considering Stockholm is like a hour away, you would want to save time and take the shuttle instead. You can also purchase the all day transportation ticket at the tourist center.

From the train station, you can take the commuter train into Stockholm. Its about an hour and 6 minutes to get to Centralen T. From Centralen T, walk around 400 meters to Sergels Torg and take the tram # 7 to the Vasa Museum. After the Vasa, you can take the ferry to Gamla Stan.

pls take note of the train schedule as there are only 2 in an hour to and from Nynashamn.

Let me know if you have any questions, and will try to answer based on my recent experience.

Hey Sophbro, please post in the new thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176645&page=10