Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Yes! I read somewhere that there is an armor exhibit some place in Gamla Stan. For the life of me, I cannot find the name and address of the museum. Do you know it? I think I remember reading that it located in a basement. Any thoughts you may have on this would be appreciated (and would save me a lot of time!).

Many thanks!

There have been several threads on transportation in Stockholm with several conflicting reports about the HoHo buses and boats. In particular, do they run on Sundays. We will be in port on a Sunday in August, and I would like to know for sure waht is the real story.

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

We have been to Stockholm twice before on cruise ships and have usually just walked around old town and gone across the bridge into the newer part of the city. Is there anything you would suggest that is "not to be missed?" Thanks for your input. We won't be there until May of 2010 but are planning for this itinerary now.

Hi, about the museum, I think you mean "Livrustkammaren". You find it is in the basement of the royal palace.

Here is the link to it in english

http://lrk.lsh.se/default.asp?id=3032&refid=0

The hop on hop off boat runs daily until 13 september.

The bus, im not shure but it runs daily until at least 16 august.

Edited by acjb

We have been to Stockholm twice before on cruise ships and have usually just walked around old town and gone across the bridge into the newer part of the city. Is there anything you would suggest that is "not to be missed?" Thanks for your input. We won't be there until May of 2010 but are planning for this itinerary now.

I suggest that if it is nice weather that you going with boat to "Vaxholm".

It is a small village about one hour from Stockholm with boat out in the beautiful archipelago.

www.waxholmsbolaget.se for the boat timetable.

If you don´t want to leave the town you can go to the open air museum "Skansen". There you can find old houses and see how the swedish people lived long time ago, there you can also see a lot of scandinavian animals.

www.skansen.se

Thank you for the offer of help - my grandmother was born in Stockholm in 1888 and came to the US later - do you know of any place in Stockhom where there might be a record of her birth or her passage?

We have found several about the same ages listed at Ellis Island - but thought it would be interesting to see if there was any listing of birth there.

Thank you so much - I look forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Thanks for your offer of help. Can you tell me the cost of the Ho Ho bus and whether they accept euros/credit cards?

We are really looking forward to visiting Stockholm in 3 weeks time!

Sweep

I have tried unsuccessfully to find a reasonably convenient or at least accessible place to pick up a couple of cases of Diet Coke (Coke Lite) while we are in Stockholm. I think the ship will be docking at Frihamnen, and we will be getting there Saturday afternoon for a Sunday departure (checking on board on Saturday).

Any help would be really appreciated to make my excursion for this "frivolous matter" more efficient.

acjb,

If I buy a Stockholm card, do I still need to buy a HOHO boat and bus? Which one is the better choice. I will only be in Stockholm for 1 day from 10.00-5.00pm.

Hello.

Stockholm Card is not valid at hop on hop off buses and boats.

If you are planing to see a lot of mueums and going with buses and underground, then Stockholmscard is a good choice.

If you just planning to walk around and want to see the town from the water, then a hop on hop boat service is a good choice.

Edited by acjb

Thanks for your offer of help. Can you tell me the cost of the Ho Ho bus and whether they accept euros/credit cards?

Sweep

They have som different tickets. Here is the link in english so you can deside by yourself.

Just click at the english flag and you get your information.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Turer-pa-land1/hop-on-hop-off-sthlm/

Thank you for the offer of help - my grandmother was born in Stockholm in 1888 and came to the US later - do you know of any place in Stockhom where there might be a record of her birth or her passage?

We have found several about the same ages listed at Ellis Island - but thought it would be interesting to see if there was any listing of birth there.

That was a hard one....

I dont have any good answer. Sorry

Sweep

Hello.

I can´t find any information about that at their website, I´m not shure but I guess that they can accept at least Euro.

Have a nice time here and I hope you sit out on deck in the sunshine when you leave Stockholm for cruising in the archipelago away to other destinations.

Sweden has wonderful records that go back generations. I wrote and got information about birth records years ago. Each letter was answered by a recommendation of what address to write to for the previous generation.

I believe the records were kept by the churchs.

I have tried unsuccessfully to find a reasonably convenient or at least accessible place to pick up a couple of cases of Diet Coke (Coke Lite) while we are in Stockholm. I think the ship will be docking at Frihamnen, and we will be getting there Saturday afternoon for a Sunday departure (checking on board on Saturday).

Any help would be really appreciated to make my excursion for this "frivolous matter" more efficient.

You have a supermarket called "Coop" in about 10-15 minutes walking distance from Frihamnen. It is open until 8 or 9 pm every night.

Here is a map so you can find it:

http://www.hitta.se/LargeMap.aspx?z=2&mp=%3Cpts%3E%3Cpt%20x%3D%221631724%22%20y%3D%226582368%22%20i%3D%22http%3A//www.hitta.se/images/point.png%22%3E%3Ct%3EThe%20Pier%20Frihamnen%3C/t%3E%3C/pt%3E%3Cpt%20x%3D%221630732%22%20y%3D%226582868%22%20i%3D%22http%3A//www.hitta.se/images/point.png%22%3E%3Ct%3ESupermarket%20%22Coop%22%3C/t%3E%3C/pt%3E%3C/pts%3E

Good luck

Sweden has wonderful records that go back generations. I wrote and got information about birth records years ago. Each letter was answered by a recommendation of what address to write to for the previous generation.

I believe the records were kept by the churchs.

Hi.

I think I know what you mean. But these days I think the record is kept by Swedish Tax Agency.

Hello.

Stockholm Card is not valid at hop on hop off buses and boats.

If you are planing to see a lot of mueums and going with buses and underground, then Stockholmscard is a good choice.

If you just planning to walk around and want to see the town from the water, then a hop on hop boat service is a good choice.

Thanks for your reply. The HOHO boat sounds interesting. Have you heard any critique about it? Do you know if it takes you any place different than the HOHO buses? Thanks for the information and your help.

acjb - I have been told conflicting info about the Stockholm card and whether we should buy one. I was told the ferry is not included anymore. We can buy it online from home before we come and it is about $48. This is what the website says it includes:

Free admission to 75 museums and attractions

Unlimited use of public transport in Stockholm, including the metro, buses, and commuter trains

Free canal tour at selected departure times, see below for further details

Free ferry from Nybroplan to Djurgarden

Discounted tickets for the Stockholm Panorama sightseeing bus

Discounted tickets for the Open Top double-decker bus tour

Discounted tickets for Cosmonova IMAX theatre

Discounted tickets for boat trip to Drottningholm Palace

A guidebook available in Swedish, English, German, French, Spanish, Finnish, and Italian - containing information on museums and maps of the city

Being that we are there on a cruise only for the day, do you think it's a good value or is it better to just pay the entrance fees into the museums? Thanks for all your help!

Thanks acjb for all information..

I plan use the HOHO boat where you can hop-on and hop-off at the various stops as often as you like...

I want visit Vasa Museum, Skansen museum, Tivoli Gröna Lund, Old town and Royal Palace.. do you believe I can see all these in 5-6 hours?

thanks..

acjb - Could you please tell me the best way to get from Gamla Stan area to the City Hall and how long it would take. And then from the City Hall to the Ice Bar in the Nordic Sea Hotel. And then from the hotel how long is it to get back to the port? Thanks for your help. Know what we want to see, just don't know how much time to figure to get around.

Hi!!

We are defining the details for next Cruise which will stop in Stockholm from August 17 (8am) to August 18 (2pm).

We already got a Stockholm Card (24h) to use it for both sites fees and local transportation.

We should be at S167 Pier - Stadsgarden.

Based on our researches we developed the following plan:

1) We plan to walk to Gamla Stan: I can see we can reach it half an hour and it seems a nice walk; walking also to avoid to activate the Card too early to use it both days.

2) Then we could stay in Gamla sourrondings waiting for changing of the guard (maybe including city hall or Royal Palace)

3) After (aroung 1pm or as soon after the changing of the guard)) we'll move to Skansen by bus #47 (I can see ferry from Slussen is not included in the card) We prefer start with Skansen due to the fact it's a "open-sky" attraction and most of it close at 5pm and I think it coulb be nice to spend a long time here

4) if we have time (I suppose yes) we'll go to Vaasa which closes ad 6pm

5) then back to the centre/ship; not sure if we have time to take the historical canal tour at 6.30pm.

6) any suggestions for the evening? We'll have a dinner on the ship but after we'd like to spend the evening in the town of course, maybe I suppose Gamla is the right place?

7) the second day we'll go back to Gamla (by bus) and take the canal tour at 10.30am (if we missed the day before) and visiting City Hall and Royal Palace. I think we'd have enough time to be back to the ship at 1pm.

8) in case we cannot visit Vaasa the 1st day, we'll anticipate canal tour the 1st day and visit Vaasa the second.

Any advices?