Copenhagen pre cruise Stay Questions.

All,

We are sailing out of Copenhagen on a Scandinavian cruise in May. I have a few questions regarding our stay Pre-cruise there. We will land in Copenhagen, spend two days there before leaving on the cruise. After we complete the cruise we fly out of Copenhagen again.

For reference we are a family of three travelling. Wife, 5 year old and myself. We will have up to 3 pieces of luggage.

Thanks in Advance for all the responses.

1. What is the best way to go from the airport to a city Hotel?

2. What is a good hotel to stay at that is close to the city attractions.

3. How much time should i give myself on the return to disembark and get to the airport?

Thanks.

Are you doing the Disney cruise by chance? We'll be there for 3 days prior to our May 30 sailing. There's 8 of us - grandparents (70, 72), dh and I, and 4 kids ages 15, 15, 12, and 9. Loosely our plan is to spend two full days there. The first day is the free walking tour

http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/city-tours/

and then maybe the children's museum or just hang out in Nyhaven. Then do Tivoli at night.

The next day is provisionally Land of Legends

http://www.sagnlandet.dk/en/

which looks like a Danish Plimoth Plantation sort of place.

I'd like to stay central, so am considering either the Skandic Palace or the Raddison Royal. Both are near the train station and Tivoli.

ETA - not sure if I'm allowed to link those places? Mods, feel free to delete if needed.

There is a great thread on Copenhagen specifically that discusses in detail transportation to the airport, the town, and the pier.

Edited by ljandgb

I know Copenhagen is only a medium sized city but in reality we have 2 downtown areas when we talk hotel locations.

The first is the Town Hall Square/Tivoli/Central Station area.

Here you can find hotels like Scandic Palace, Nimb, Cabinn City, The Square, Radisson Royal, First Hotel Mayfair and a few more.

From the airport you just take any train you want unless its driving to Sweden but they a driving from the opposite platform.

The other area is Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn/Amalienborg.

Here you can find Wake Up (the Borgergade location), Scandic Front, Admiral, Bethel, D'Angleterre, Hotel Opera and alot more I can't remember the name of.

This area is connected with the airport by metro line M2

A taxi from Oceankaj to the airport should take no longer than 30 minuter but 20-25 minutes should do it.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking,

Thanks for your detailed response. Here is what i am thinking right now based on your and other responses.

Since we have a few bags and a child i was thinking of staying at the Airport Hilton. This way we can drop off our bags immediately and then go around the city using the Metro at our convenience. Any thoughts on this hotel?

What is the approximate cost of the taxi ride from the Ocean Kaj to the Airport?

It looks like we can easily make a 4:30 pm flight if we arrive at 7 am.

Thanks.

We were very happy with our stay at the Radisson Blu Royal, located near Tivoli Gardens. The rooms facing Tivoli Gardens have a wonderful view of the Tivoli Gardens fireworks on Saturday nights in the summer. We were jet lagged, but loved the show. Our room (505, a family room) was very large by European standards and had an excellent view of Tivoli Gardens and the train station (my son loved watching the trains go by). There was some limited noise from the street below, but I am a very light sleeper and was not disturbed by it. The buffet breakfast that was included with the family room was excellent. Travelers who prefer a quieter Saturday night can request rooms that don't face Tivoli Gardens, since they probably won't have the noise from the fireworks (it is a really impressive firework show though). Furnishings were a bit worn, but overall I was very happy with this comfortable, well located hotel (it is right next to the train station and many major bus stops, and you can take public transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal directly from the hotel). This hotel also has air conditioning. Many hotels in Copenhagen lack air conditioning, so you may wish to contact the hotels you are considering booking in advance if you are sensitive to heat. Also, if you are sensitive to noise (or have a toddler who naps) you may wish to contact the hotels you are considering prior to booking to see if there is any construction from the expansion of the metro line near their hotel. The metro expansion is currently scheduled to be finished in 2018.

Families should note that for part of the summer in 2014, the Tivoli hotel offered activities for children. If you are interested, please follow up with the hotel directly to see if they are planning to offer services again in 2015, and which dates they will be available. We chose the Radisson Blu because our cruise was in late August, after the end of the children's program at the Tivoli hotel.

Our son really loved the Baltic cruise, so I hope your family has a great time!

We were very happy with our stay at the Radisson Blu Royal, located near Tivoli Gardens. The rooms facing Tivoli Gardens have a wonderful view of the Tivoli Gardens fireworks on Saturday nights in the summer. We were jet lagged, but loved the show. Our room (505, a family room) was very large by European standards and had an excellent view of Tivoli Gardens and the train station (my son loved watching the trains go by). There was some limited noise from the street below, but I am a very light sleeper and was not disturbed by it. The buffet breakfast that was included with the family room was excellent. Travelers who prefer a quieter Saturday night can request rooms that don't face Tivoli Gardens, since they probably won't have the noise from the fireworks (it is a really impressive firework show though). Furnishings were a bit worn, but overall I was very happy with this comfortable, well located hotel (it is right next to the train station and many major bus stops, and you can take public transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal directly from the hotel). This hotel also has air conditioning. Many hotels in Copenhagen lack air conditioning, so you may wish to contact the hotels you are considering booking in advance if you are sensitive to heat. Also, if you are sensitive to noise (or have a toddler who naps) you may wish to contact the hotels you are considering prior to booking to see if there is any construction from the expansion of the metro line near their hotel. The metro expansion is currently scheduled to be finished in 2018.

Families should note that for part of the summer in 2014, the Tivoli hotel offered activities for children. If you are interested, please follow up with the hotel directly to see if they are planning to offer services again in 2015, and which dates they will be available. We chose the Radisson Blu because our cruise was in late August, after the end of the children's program at the Tivoli hotel.

Our son really loved the Baltic cruise, so I hope your family has a great time!

The tivoli is definitely on a list of things to do for us. Thanks for the information.

Danish Viking,

Thanks for your detailed response. Here is what i am thinking right now based on your and other responses.

Since we have a few bags and a child i was thinking of staying at the Airport Hilton. This way we can drop off our bags immediately and then go around the city using the Metro at our convenience. Any thoughts on this hotel?

What is the approximate cost of the taxi ride from the Ocean Kaj to the Airport?

It looks like we can easily make a 4:30 pm flight if we arrive at 7 am.

Thanks.

350 to 400 kroners will probably be the price for that journey.

Remember that if it is a flight to Great Britain or non EU flights you should allow for some time for the passport control.

It takes some time to both check in your luggage, gets through security and then passport control.

We are booked in July. We are staying at an AirBnB establishment. Look it up via Google. Live like a local. There are some amazing properties anywhere from a single room to houses on canals that sleep 12 people.

For you considering the Airport Hilton, remember you will have to carry your luggage to city center when you go to your cruise ship unless you have prearranged transport from A/P via the cruise line.

Wow, I must have copied the wrong tab. Sorry!

Here's the real link:http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk

They have good reviews on trip advisor. It seems like an organized group of young people who like showing off their city.

Just wanted to give another shout out to Airbnb. We are 8 adults and we rented 2 apartments in the same building for a total of $2000 for 4 nights. That's like $125 per room each night and we're in a great part of downtown. It's so nice to have the ability to cook and serve breakfast at home, plus plenty of room to hang out when we're not exploring. If you are used to pricy hotels or having to stay outside of the city to save money, it's something to check out!

Edited by Kryssa

• 3 months later...

Danish Viking...I am staying at the AC Hotel Bella Sky...

1. What are my options from there to the Oceakaj? What is the cost of each of these options. I have about three medium size bags and there are three people travelling including me and a 5 year old.

2. Also what are the options to get back to the AC Hotel Bella Sky from the OceanKaj to the AC Hotel Bella Sky?

Thank you in Advance.

Danish Viking...I am staying at the AC Hotel Bella Sky...

1. What are my options from there to the Oceakaj? What is the cost of each of these options. I have about three medium size bags and there are three people travelling including me and a 5 year old.

2. Also what are the options to get back to the AC Hotel Bella Sky from the OceanKaj to the AC Hotel Bella Sky?

Thank you in Advance.

Metro from Bella Center metro station to Nørreport and then bus 25 to Oceankaj from there.

I posted a photo guide on how to get on the 25 bus in the Oceankaj thread.

The price is 24 kroner for each individual and the kid travels for free when traveling with an adult.

The trip back to the hotel I just in reverse.

If you by some mistake end on the 27 bus back from the pier you just have to take a train to Nørreport and then change for the metro.

We did the free walking tour two days ago. It was great. FWIW, the guides do solicit for tips, but I was ok with that. We saw much of the historic part of the city. It really is quite walkable, so the tour also made us comfortable ranging out on our own the next couple of days. Our guide was young and energetic. The younger crowd found him hilarious. My 75 yo parents, not so much. They still enjoyed the tour, however.