Norway vs Alaska

We are considering a 7 day Norwegian Fjord cruise on the Caribbean Princess this summer. How different is that cruise compared to an Alaskan cruise? We have done several Alaskan cruises in the past and don't want to pay the extra airfare costs if the scenery is going to be very similar.

Thanks!

We've been to Alaska 3 out of the last 4 summers. This summer will be our first to Norway.

From what I've heard others compare, they say Alaska is more that rugged beauty and glaciers and Norway is long fjords, much greener, with more waterfalls and overlooks. I'm excited to see the difference. Personally, the airfare from the midwest USA is about the same for us to both locations.

Norway's mountains are greener and much nearer the sea. You can be 5,000 feet above sea level within half a mile of a fjord.

The sail-ins and sail-outs are longer in Norway, too, because many of the ports are much further inland.

We are considering a 7 day Norwegian Fjord cruise on the Caribbean Princess this summer. How different is that cruise compared to an Alaskan cruise? We have done several Alaskan cruises in the past and don't want to pay the extra airfare costs if the scenery is going to be very similar.

Thanks!

An Alaskan cruise involves more wildlife sightings (if you're lucky) but a Norwegian cruise involves more waterfall sightings and more folk culture.

An Alaskan cruise highlights a fascinating moment in American history during the gold rush while a Norwegian cruise introduces you to a history and culture that may be largely unfamiliar.

I think the scenery in Norway is more dramatic and the wood stave churches are practically worth the trip on their own.

Thanks for all of your help! Norway it is!

Congratulations on your wise, smart choice for Norway. Appreciate the earlier and varied posts that detailed so well the many pluses for Norway. Below are a few of my pictures to help illustrate the points made for the green areas, the mountain/fjord drama, etc.

Plus, don't forget that some cities such as Bergen have great history, architecture, character, etc. And, some shopping options, there, too!!

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

How long of a cruise in Norway are you considering?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,881 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is a picture and highlight from this day doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here's a farm view along this great fjord near Flam.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

Thanks!

We have done Alaska and it was beautiful. I wondered the same thing when we started planning our upcoming Norway trip and I am expecting a big contrast as described by others.

Have fun planning!

I have done both. Norway was completely different. There has been settlement there much longer and there is the Viking heritage. I tried to load pictures to show you the difference 3 times but was unsuccessful. Many were similar to the ones from Terry. I would like to do the itinerary up to northern Norway like Terry suggests but I am having a difficult time finding a cruise that does it. We would love to go back to Norway. We did a land vacation in Norway through Norway in a Nutshell which was great. The sail into Flam is particularly scenic. There is a stave church close to Bergen and another about an hour from Flam. Loved every minute.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to do the itinerary up to northern Norway like Terry suggests but I am having a difficult time finding a cruise that does it.

Check out Hurtigruten. I just came back from an 11 day round trip Bergen to Kirkenes and back. You can choose segments of this or take the whole trip. There is a Hurtigruten ship in each port daily. Not your usual cruise ship (also a ferry and freighter) but if you want to see the far north of Norway, this is the way to go.

I would like to do the itinerary up to northern Norway like Terry suggests but I am having a difficult time finding a cruise that does it.

P&O have at least half a dozen in the next year, in June, July, August, February and March. Fred Olsen will have several. Cunard, Cruises & Maritime, and Voyages of Discovery are all worth as look too, they probably all do fortnight-long cruises to Norway.

I tried to load pictures to show you the difference 3 times but was unsuccessful. Many were similar to the ones from Terry. I would like to do the itinerary up to northern Norway like Terry suggests but I am having a difficult time finding a cruise that does it. We would love to go back to Norway.

There are lots of cruise ship options that will take you up to the North Cape, etc. Below are a few examples ranging from certain cruise lines that are more middle level in pricing up to the higher-end, luxury lines such as Seabourn and Silversea. Check below a few potentials from my quick checking:

NCL: 14 Night North Cape on Norwegian Star

Princess: 16 Night North Cape on Ocean Princess and Emerald Princess

HAL/Holland America Line: 14 Night Voyage Of The Midnight Sun on Ryndam, plus on Rotterdam, Prinsendam and Koningsdam ships

MSC: 14 Night North Cape & Svalbard on MSC Splendida

Costa: 15 Night Norwegian Fjords/North Cape on neoRomantica

Azamara Club: 14 Night Beyond the Arctic Circle on Azamara Journey

Crystal: 18 Night White Sea Exploration on Crystal Symphony

Oceania: 20 Night Great Northern Lights on Nautica

Regent Seven Seas: 20 Night Viking Odyssey on Voyager

Seabourn: 14 Night Majestic Fjords & North Cape on Seabourn Quest

Silversea: 17 or 14 Night Norwegian Fjords & North Cape Silver Whisper or Silver Cloud

You can probably find more options if you do a Google search with "North Cape cruise Norway". Most of these cruise options tend to be 12-day or more in order to cover all of this territory and do your return back to the original starting point in the UK, Holland or Copenhagen. Costly? Yes, because such a cruise takes more sailing days and is limited in supply, these are always as "cheap" as some desire. BUT, part of it is the overall cost structure for Norway. Taxes, labor, etc., are high there. Not a cheap part of the world, plus their tourist season is fairly short, also driving up these costs.

Clearly there are many, many more lower-cost options if you only going to focus around the fjords and cities such as Bergen that are below the Arctic Circle.

For angeleyes27, do you need my listing on tips for posting larger pictures on these boards. Happy to share added info, suggestions.

Other questions and interests?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,553 views.

Thank you, Terry. I will look into those options. I also saw a Norway in a Nutshell that was on Hurtigruten that had a great itinerary that I liked. We were in Norway last summer and absolutely loved it. When I saw your photos on Cruise Critic, I wanted to go and I loved it. Now I want to go back. The scenery in Norway was breathtaking, absolutely spectacular.

Yes, I could use your tips. I tried but could not get my pictures to load. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Congratulations on your wise, smart choice for Norway. Appreciate the earlier and varied posts that detailed so well the many pluses for Norway. Below are a few of my pictures to help illustrate the points made for the green areas, the mountain/fjord drama, etc.

Plus, don't forget that some cities such as Bergen have great history, architecture, character, etc. And, some shopping options, there, too!!

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

How long of a cruise in Norway are you considering?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,881 views.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is a picture and highlight from this day doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here's a farm view along this great fjord near Flam.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

Just doing some research on Norwegian Fjords vs Alaska and your photos are definitely selling me on the beauty of the Fjords. Just wondering what time of year these were taken?