Help what cruise to schedule

turtleash

So my cruise that was booked I had to cancel for work reasons and have to go out a week earlier now. We are having a hard time deciding and looking for some assistance. We were going on a princess now looking at 3 celebrity reflection, royal Caribbean freedom of the seas and Holland America eurodam. I have been on Royal so know what to expect but the others will be a first. So my questions......

How is the dress codes? During day and dinner? Do you have to wear suit or tie every evening for dinner if you choose to go to the dining room? Or would khakis and nice button up collared shirt work?

During sea days is it more quiet and laid back or is there some life to the pool, I'm not talking carnival life but decent music and maybe even entertainment?

How is evening entertainment?

All and any help is greatly appreciated! I/we are torn on which cruise line to go with.

So my cruise that was booked I had to cancel for work reasons and have to go out a week earlier now. We are having a hard time deciding and looking for some assistance. We were going on a princess now looking at 3 celebrity reflection, royal Caribbean freedom of the seas and Holland America eurodam. I have been on Royal so know what to expect but the others will be a first. So my questions......

How is the dress codes? During day and dinner? Do you have to wear suit or tie every evening for dinner if you choose to go to the dining room? Or would khakis and nice button up collared shirt work?

During sea days is it more quiet and laid back or is there some life to the pool, I'm not talking carnival life but decent music and maybe even entertainment?

How is evening entertainment?

All and any help is greatly appreciated! I/we are torn on which cruise line to go with.

We have not been on RCCL, but have been on Reflection and Eurodam.

Dress codes are the same on both - Khakis and button shirt work. Two formal nights that require at least a jacket and tie.

My opinion is that of late Celebrity offers more "Day time" entertainment at the pool. However, HAL offers more options in the evening. X's evening entertainment has become very 'modern.' Some (most) of the shows on our last "X" cruise (the Reflection) were literally beyond our understanding. We don't think we are that out of it. Our group had 5 twenty-somethings with us and they didn't get it either.

Reflection offers much less port time and no private island - something to consider. With Reflection you are really sailing "For the ship" while on Eurodam you enjoy the ship but are sailing to visit places.

I notice in my cruise ratings in my signature I gave Eurodam 4 1/2 stars and Reflection 3 1/2. Others will no doubt feel differently. That is my 2 cent opinion!

Edited by StartrainDD
Add comment

We like HAL ships because they have great libraries, good enrichment lecture programs and even offer classical music in one of their evening lounges. I think a lot (?) of HAL passengers come on to be more "self-contained", than entertained. But that is just our perspective.

Edited by OlsSalt

We go with HAL because their ships are smaller and the crew is very friendly and helpful. :) It really depends on what you are looking for. If you have to be constantly entertained than I would say HAL is not for you but if you want a ship where there aren't a million kids and an another :eek: two million other passengers (which we prefer not to have) than HAL should be your choice.

Edited by Traveling Dot

We have not been on RCCL, but have been on Reflection and Eurodam.

Dress codes are the same on both - Khakis and button shirt work. Two formal nights that require at least a jacket and tie.

My opinion is that of late Celebrity offers more "Day time" entertainment at the pool. However, HAL offers more options in the evening.

Reflection offers much less port time and no private island - something to consider. With Reflection you are really sailing "For the ship" while on Eurodam you enjoy the ship but are sailing to visit places.

I too have sailed on Reflection and Eurodam and I agree completely with these remarks by Startrain. Also, I felt that on Reflection, while there are many wonderful dining venues, they are expensive, and if you are not an absolute foodie (nothing against those who are), you will find that Eurodam's offerings for far less cost are just as wonderful (Tamarind, PG, and Canaletto) All that said, I would choose Eurodam for Half Moon Cay alone even if all else was equal!!!!

Thanks everyone for your reaponses.... 2 more questions for those that can answer do you prefer a celebrity or Holland for food menus, we will be staying in a suite.?

And....

If you had to choose from celebrity Reflection stateroom c1 7309 or 7358.

Or Holland America Eurodam stateroom Neptune suite 8162 or 8173

THANKS EVERYONE AGAIN

I have been on Freedom, and sister ships of Reflection and Eurodam. Between the 3, I recommend Reflection. Celebrity Solstice Class ships, in my opinion, are the most beautiful ships at sea of the major cruise lines. Of course, a Neptune Suite is better than Concierge Class, but I think the rest of Reflection is better than Eurodam.

Thanks everyone for your reaponses.... 2 more questions for those that can answer do you prefer a celebrity or Holland for food menus, we will be staying in a suite.?

And....

If you had to choose from celebrity Reflection stateroom c1 7309 or 7358.

Or Holland America Eurodam stateroom Neptune suite 8162 or 8173

THANKS EVERYONE AGAIN

Celebrity Reflection is a great ship for food. The restaurants are great fun as well as great food. That said, they cost $40 per person, and if you eat in one of these "alternative" venues a few times per cruise, your cost per couple goes up considerably. That said, it was definitely worth it to us and we enjoyed each and every food venue aboard Reflection. We thought the MDR (there are actually several) on Reflection was every bit as good as HAL's also. What level suite is 7309? In general the suites I experienced (either sailing in or having friends who were in) on Reflection were lovely, but everyone agreed the Neptunes on HAL are just as nice and with the addition of the services of the Neptune Lounge, in my mind, HAL wins hands down for suite travel. 8162 on Eurodam is about the best darn stateroom you can have on any ship IMHO! Keep in mind it's a hike from the Neptune Lounge, but aside from that - you can just about be guaranteed to LOVE the wrap around deck at the stern and the suite itself is wonderful. We had a party in that very suite a couple of years ago and I have fond memories. Hope you have great weather for your cruise! Your mileage may vary but above is my opinion. I loved Reflection but couldn't wait to get back to HAL... (does that make sense?) The wrap around promenade deck and the Neptune lounge... okay, now I'm repeating myself.

Edited by Moriah

HAL is a great choice if you don't mind relaxing/entertaining yourself.

Food is tasty!

Crew is typically awesome!

Entertainment during the day @ poolside... hope someone brought a yo-yo.

Entertainment during the night is a little better, but expect the ship to bed down by 10.30.

Not anyway a condemnation. When cruising HAL, you go for the itinerary/crew/food and to chill out.

Thanks everyone for you responses it was very helpful! The decion has been made and we will be cruiseing on the Eurodam in November. First time with Holland so we are looking forward to this and a few new ports! So I guess the count down begins once again 100 days!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for you responses it was very helpful! The decion has been made and we will be cruiseing on the Eurodam in November. First time with Holland so we are looking forward to this and a few new ports! So I guess the count down begins once again 100 days!

Have a wonderful time and enjoy Half Moon Cay!