Prinsendam's Swimming Pools

rkacruiser

I would appreciate some information about the pools aboard the Prinsendam.

Fresh Water? Salt Water?

Depth of the water in the pools?

Stairs available to enter the pools or ladder access only?

Thanks.

Had a couple of long cruises on Prinsendam and used the pools daily. Both pools are fresh water, but was told that they can switch to salt water in the aft pool. The midship pool pictures kind of looking like a keyhole with steps into the top part which is only about 3 feet deep than step like ladder into the larger part which is about 4 -5 feet deep if memory serves me. The whole deep part isn't too much bigger than a hot tub. Maybe about a 20 - 25 ft diameter. The aft pool is much deeper going from aroun 5 feet deep at the shallow end and I thnk about 9 Feet at the deep end. My guesstimate is that its about 25 feet wide and 40 - 50 feet long

VictOriann and FRANKIEDNCY: Many thanks for your information. The photos of the mid-ships pool does correspond with the description of the depth issues. Looking forward to the Prinsendam, but I know I am going to miss the Hydrotherapy Pool in the Greenhouse Spa aboard the Vista and Signature Class ships.

Prinsendam midship pool has no sliding cover. All other HAL ships have sliding covers on midship pools, so can still be used in cool weather when covered.

personally, I like the midship area on the P'dam. I avoid the area on the ships that have pools with the sliding covers. It's too hot and humid.

VictOriann and FRANKIEDNCY: Many thanks for your information. The photos of the mid-ships pool does correspond with the description of the depth issues. Looking forward to the Prinsendam, but I know I am going to miss the Hydrotherapy Pool in the Greenhouse Spa aboard the Vista and Signature Class ships.

just to add that there were definitely steps at the pool. They were not steep as all people of all sizes and ages and abilities were using them :)

I hear you on the hydrotherapy pool but you may be pleasantly surprised at the ship and enjoy our things on board. It still does have a spa. But since it is a smaller ship, so is the spa.

Edited by kazu

personally, I like the midship area on the P'dam. I avoid the area with the sliding covers. It's too hot and humid.

just to add that there were definitely steps at the pool. They were not steep as all people of all sizes and ages and abilities were using them :)

I hear you on the hydrotherapy pool but you may be pleasantly surprised at the ship and enjoy our things on board. It still does have a spa. But since it is a smaller ship, so is the spa.

Many thanks, kazu! Ladders and me no longer work. Steps with a railing: OK.

I am so looking forward to my Prinsendam cruise. Royal Viking Sky, other than Rotterdam V, is my most favorite memory. I am so looking forward to sailing on the Prinsendam which is a clone in many ways of the Royal Viking ships.

I am so looking forward to my Prinsendam cruise. Royal Viking Sky, other than Rotterdam V, is my most favorite memory. I am so looking forward to sailing on the Prinsendam which is a clone in many ways of the Royal Viking ships.

oh sorry, I didn't post well when I said steps. It was a ladder type of thing but easily managed and many people were doing "easy acquasize" in the pool on our TA days, so it is easily managed.

The ship is still close to Royal Viking. She has had some changes and HAL changes but even Captain Gundersen said he loved the Pinnacle Grill and was glad that change had been made. A lot of stuff is still in place including the extra flowers and a few touches (IMO) that you don't see on the other HAL ships.

the woodwork is gorgeous. definitely do the art tour if you have time. There is a lot of history there and unless you got to a few corners, you might miss some.

kazu,

Thanks very much! Given the photos I saw of the mid-ships pool area, even without steps, I ought to be able to safely get into and out of the pool without issue.

If the Royal Viking Sun's original Master likes what was done with the Prinsendam, that is a very, very positive indication that I will be very pleased!

kazu,

Thanks very much! Given the photos I saw of the mid-ships pool area, even without steps, I ought to be able to safely get into and out of the pool without issue.

If the Royal Viking Sun's original Master likes what was done with the Prinsendam, that is a very, very positive indication that I will be very pleased!

I think you will be fine. Getting in was easily manoeuvered by many people of a differing ages, sizes and ability. (the pools that is).

Now, I didn't say that the Master liked every change done to the P'dam but he certainly loved the Pinnacle. He was proud of that ship until he retired and took very good care of her. He even came back out of retirement when Captain Tim was ill.

I hope you enjoy the ship. A lot of things are simple or simply elegant depending upon your point of view ;)

I think you will be fine. Getting in was easily manoeuvered by many people of a differing ages, sizes and ability. (the pools that is).

Now, I didn't say that the Master liked every change done to the P'dam but he certainly loved the Pinnacle. He was proud of that ship until he retired and took very good care of her. He even came back out of retirement when Captain Tim was ill.

I hope you enjoy the ship. A lot of things are simple or simply elegant depending upon your point of view ;)

Are you sure about that. I may have mistakenly given you that impression but I think it was Captain Andre that was ill. Captain Andre may even be medically retired now (not at all sure of that) but on my Amazon cruise I initially thought Captain Tim was ill but once he joined the ship in Barbados my impression was that it was Captain Andre who was ill and Captain Tim couldn't rejoin the ship immediately.

Roy

No way does it resemble Royal Viking Sky. I've sailed on the RV Star and it is nothing like the Royal Viking Sun which is now the butchered up Prinsendam. Hal should have left that beautiful ship alone.

We enjoyed the aft pool which has a ladder. On our last cruise there was a lady who was missing one leg and she used the pool daily and had no problems. The aft pool did have salt water which we enjoyed more then the fresh water because of the lack of chemicals.

Allan

Couple of more pics of PRDM's mid-ships Lido Deck/Deck 11, Lido pool and whirl pool

Prinsendam14%20Day4%20Lido%20pool_zpsob662if8.jpg

Prinsendam52%20Day%2010%20Lido%20pool%20on%20the%20way%20to%20Madeira%20-%20Sea%20day_zpso3kgcbt6.jpg

Some of the "scenery" has been changed after multiple dry docks since these pics were taken but, pretty sure, the pools are still the same

Prinsendam14A%20Day%204%20Aft%20pool_zps4puvedw7.jpg

This was what the Upper Promenade Deck/Deck 9 aft Sea View pool looked like in 2006. Perhaps a recent PRDM traveler can advise if that's still the case and/or if it's been changed after those multiple dry docks since then

We enjoyed the aft pool which has a ladder. On our last cruise there was a lady who was missing one leg and she used the pool daily and had no problems. The aft pool did have salt water which we enjoyed more then the fresh water because of the lack of chemicals.

Allan

And again, the misconception arises over salt water and pool chemicals. If the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, a salt water pool may be operated in flow-through mode, where fresh sea water is continually pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes back to the ocean. This pool operation requires no chemicals. However, when the ship is within 12 miles of shore, whether it is salt water or fresh, it must be in recirculation mode, or drained. Any pool, whether salt water or fresh, in recirculation mode, must be chlorinated, and there is no distinction between the two water sources as far as the required chlorination levels.

And again, the misconception arises over salt water and pool chemicals. If the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, a salt water pool may be operated in flow-through mode, where fresh sea water is continually pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes back to the ocean. This pool operation requires no chemicals. However, when the ship is within 12 miles of shore, whether it is salt water or fresh, it must be in recirculation mode, or drained. Any pool, whether salt water or fresh, in recirculation mode, must be chlorinated, and there is no distinction between the two water sources as far as the required chlorination levels.

You provide a lot of good and reliable info here Sir! Keep up the good work! :)

Here's another picture of the midship pool:

pdampoolaft.jpg

I used this in a blog post where I compared features of the Crystal Serenity and Prinsendam. Serenity does not have an aft pool so I didn't take Prinsendam's for that purpose and neglected to take one at all.

Copper, your photo of the aft pool is quite dated, it appears to be before the deck 8 cabins. There is no longer a starboard stairway leading down to the Lower Promenade deck (port side only). Also, when the aft lido deck was enclosed there is now an emergency stairway leading down from Canaletto.

The installation of the deck 8 cabins has been roundly criticized but in looking at your photo I see a big benefit. The aft pool deck has been squared out and there is now room for 2 rows of deck chairs on each side of the pool and another row of chairs across the stern.

A question, is Captain Andre still the second Captain.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Copper, your photo of the aft pool is quite dated, it appears to be before the deck 8 cabins. There is no longer a starboard stairway leading down to the Lower Promenade deck (port side only). Also, when the aft lido deck was enclosed there is now an emergency stairway leading down from Canaletto.

The installation of the deck 8 cabins has been roundly criticized but in looking at your photo I see a big benefit. The aft pool deck has been squared out and there is now room for 2 rows of deck chairs on each side of the pool and another row of chairs across the stern.

A question, is Captain Andre still the second Captain.

Roy

Hi Roy and thanks, that's the info I=I was looking for. Those pics were taken back in AUG 2006, so a while back and prior to PRDM's "big" dry docks in 2010and 2012.

PRDM's other captain, at the moment, is Jeroen Schuchmann, usually her staff captain

• 1 year later...

I am not sure how to ask a question but I will try here. Please paardon me if this is off base. I am considering a 30 day cruise in October on the Prinsendam. Are the pools heated?? I hear there is an enclosure over the aft pool? Wondering if that means they will keep it open when the weather s cool? Is it open in port? I used the hydro therapy pool on the Westerdam and LOVED it. I have a bad leg and the pool made all the difference. Will I be OK on hte Prinsendam? Just wondering. Any help will be much appreciated.

I hear there is an enclosure over the aft pool?
No roof over the aft pool in May '13, and I don't think any has been added. See posts #15, #20, and:

soqs0l.jpg

Edited by jtl513

I am not sure how to ask a question but I will try here. Please paardon me if this is off base. I am considering a 30 day cruise in October on the Prinsendam. Are the pools heated?? I hear there is an enclosure over the aft pool? Wondering if that means they will keep it open when the weather s cool? Is it open in port? I used the hydro therapy pool on the Westerdam and LOVED it. I have a bad leg and the pool made all the difference. Will I be OK on hte Prinsendam? Just wondering. Any help will be much appreciated.

The P'dam's spa is smaller and it does not have the hydrotherapy pool like the Westerdam does. It does have a smaller jacuzzi type thing though with the mineral salts in it if my memory serves.

No roof over the aft pool in May '13, and I don't think any has been added. See posts #15, #20, and:

soqs0l.jpg

Agree. The aft area of the Lido eating area was covered (called Garden Room I believe and seen in pic above) but the pool was not covered. I doubt it would be since no aft pool is covered on any HAL ship that I am aware of.

Recently returned from a 68 day cruise on Pinsendam. I used the pools daily. The aft pool was always filled with salt water, when it was full. Since the new cabins on deck 8 were added there has been a problem with the pool overflowing in rougher waters and flooding the verandas on deck 8. For this reason the pool was closed as much as open also there is a problem with lots of soot from the stack blowing into the pool. This pool is currently about 4 1/2 ft deep end to end. I believe the aft end of the pool was deeper before they added the deck 8 cabins.

On our cruise the pool was heated., sometimes as warm as the hot tub. The mid ship pool shaped like a keyhole is about 18" deep where you enter and then a ladder take you into the deeper larger pool which is about 4 1/2 feet deep also This pool is very small about the size of an aboveground pool at home, maybe 25' diameter. This pool is fresh water and also heated when necessary There is no cover over this pool like on all the rest of HALs ships