Four fixed dining times?

POA1

I just happened upon your comment by serendipity............THAT was our very first cruise and the one that caused my cruising addiction after many years of resisting my wife's urging to try cruising.

Well the Maasdam cured me very well and we are now on our 24th cruise and will be going on a 20 TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October.

That was an interesting beginning for your cruise history! That was the cruise that Maasdam started out late because they couldn't get one engine running.... and we ran on one engine screaming all night until 7:30 in the morning when they got the second engine started. We were so late to Half Moon Cay the following day, getting in about 1 or 2pm and barely time for a quick swim. It was the first cruise ever for my broth and his wife... a rough beginning but not the last!

And to keep in line with the thread, we had late-late dining but switched to early-late dining and a better table after the second night. Now that I look back at it I think it must have been a nightmare for the dining captains. I like Open Dining much better now. No going back. m--

From what I remember it was at half hour intervals.

Early early was at 5:45

Late early was at 6:15

Early late was 7:45

Late late was 8:15

My memory is that this schedule was used for Alaska cruises mostly, in the time frame of 2006-2007. By 2008, there were two fixed seatings plus open seating.

For cruises in regions other than Alaska, the standard 4 dining times were all 15 minutes later than what you listed (6, 6:30, 8, 8:30).

When we took our first HAL cruise to Alaska in July 2007 there were four fixed seatings. When we took our Mediterranean Cruise in September 2008 the change to two fixed dining times and Open Seating had occurred.

Hope this helps.

Terri

My last HAL cruise with the choice of 4 fixed seatings was on the Amsterdam in December of 2007.

My first HAL cruise with the 2 fixed seatings plus open seating was on the Maasdam in December 2008.

Thus, I think the changeover happened in spring/summer of 2008, but with each ship changing on a slightly different date.

My memory is that this schedule was used for Alaska cruises mostly, in the time frame of 2006-2007. By 2008, there were two fixed seatings plus open seating.

For cruises in regions other than Alaska, the standard 4 dining times were all 15 minutes later than what you listed (6, 6:30, 8, 8:30).

That's my memory, too. Some parts are sure (like the times), and some are more fuzzy (like the dates). But overall, I think you've got it.