Your opinion on Carnival Corp's new design?

InTheWASide

What do you think of the ship's LOOK?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the ship's LOOK?

• I like it
    • Not a fan
    • Other, see my comments below

From my sketches I asked a friend to make a CAD model. Obviously went further from what I started. Tweaked and soften the edges etc.. would been nice.

Crow's Next, Bridge... Suites in the tower etc. Obviously where main main dining room etc.

I like it. Better in Blue! The concept was named 'Gulfstream'. Copyright 2012

Stephen

Gulfstream01.jpg.cda7fad10723865cf3681903a3927558.jpg

Gulfstream02.jpg.0a4b7404ff4258fdfa3b01573b43da20.jpg

Gulfstream03.jpg.0ebc80b61ed6aa46a6c1bc5229442d8d.jpg

Gulfstream04.jpg.97956de4777a5e4ff5f7cd6fb7e55163.jpg

I cannot believe this, just as I wrote the above I open up my email and find this bit of information.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/costa-gets-two-next-generation-cruise-ships.html?u=19BC602D-5534-4B9E-A392-F0F8604DBB91

I had thought all the new Costa Ships were being built in Italy but looks like there is hope yet :) But Finland is a different option :D

Carnival Corp.’s Italian brand, Costa Cruises, will get two new next-generation cruise ships that will accommodate up to 6,600 passengers and operate on cleaner-burning fuel.

The ship order is part of Carnival’s agreement with shipbuilder Meyer Werft to build four cruise ships that will have the largest guest capacity in the world to date. The other two ships are going to Carnival’s German brand, AIDA Cruises. Both orders are part of Carnival’s massive order for nine cruise ships from Meyer Werft and Italy’s Fincantieri shipyard for delivery from 2019 to 2022.

The new Costa ships will be built at the Meyer shipyard in Turku, Finland, with deliveries expected in 2019 and 2020. Each ship will exceed 180,000 gross tons with capacities greater than on Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis-class ships, which measure 225,282 gross tons but accommodate up to 6,410 guests total. Carnival said that is possible due to a new design that will make “more efficient use of the ship’s spaces, which includes multi-functional common areas and plans for more personal space.”

These four new ships for Costa and AIDA will be the first in the industry to use liquefied natural gas (LNG), which Carnival says is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel. These ships will use LNG to generate 100 percent of the ship’s power both in port and on the open sea, which is an industry-first innovation that will significantly reduce exhaust emissions.

“These new ships will be phenomenal additions to our fleet, and we’re looking forward to seeing our Costa and AIDA brands bring this ground-breaking new ship design to life for our guests in a way that is customized for each brand,” said Carnival CEO Arnold Donald. “Above all, these strategic investments are designed to exceed the vacation needs of our guests, but it is also important to note that these next-generation ships are an important part of our measured growth strategy, which includes replacing less-efficient ships with newer, larger and more-efficient vessels over a very specific period of time.”

Lisa:

Where there is light there is hope.

Himself

Don't knock container ships! Some are quite beautiful... well, the hulls are for speed! EUROLNER was twin gas turbines, 28 knots..... 10 crew and 15 officers!

I don't dislike of the new Costa ships and AIDA.. well, it is a new style. Some of the big NCL and RCI ship are just old ships that have 'grown' bigger. The new Costa and AIDA seem to be 'interesting'.

Attached.... a drawing sketch I made several years ago... before AIDA started the vertical bows. In mine the superstructure is built at the stern... two funnels on the sides etc.... the foredeck.... all of the pools etc. Not 6,000 pa... but for 1,000 pax..... would be great for HAL. ;-)

Stephen

And I'll just bet the Euroliners are sailing at 16-18 knots, max, now, just like all the other container ships. Many of the shipowners of diesel powered ships are operating in the <40% power range these days, and have had to make modifications to the engines to meet this "slow steaming". I bet the gas turbine guys (unless they shut one down completely) are kicking themselves, as a partially loaded gas turbine isn't that efficient.

As for your sketch, very pretty, but not too practical, as with all of that superstructure above the forecastle, and the wheelhouse aft, you're going to have a huge blind spot, extending nearly a ship length forward of the bow, and I don't think class likes that too much. That's why container stacks step down toward the bow.

From my sketches I asked a friend to make a CAD model. Obviously went further from what I started. Tweaked and soften the edges etc.. would been nice.

Crow's Next, Bridge... Suites in the tower etc. Obviously where main main dining room etc.

I like it. Better in Blue! The concept was named 'Gulfstream'. Copyright 2012

Stephen

It is interesting but I am not sure I like it.

Edited by Himself

I am going to stray from the herd and say that as far as the outside of the ship, I personally would prefer function over form... for the most part, anyway.

For the inside, where I would spend my vacation, I would like a magical combination of both. With that many passengers I would hope that they can spread the load out so that it isn't as apparently crowded...

I am going to stray from the herd and say that as far as the outside of the ship, I personally would prefer function over form... for the most part, anyway.

For the inside, where I would spend my vacation, I would like a magical combination of both. With that many passengers I would hope that they can spread the load out so that it isn't as apparently crowded...

The would require some magic, since they are going 103% of the Oasis class passengers in 84% of the tonnage, with the added constraint of the LNG tanks, which are 6 times the size of residual fuel oil tanks.

And I'll just bet the Euroliners are sailing at 16-18 knots, max, now, just like all the other container ships. Many of the shipowners of diesel powered ships are operating in the <40% power range these days, and have had to make modifications to the engines to meet this "slow steaming". I bet the gas turbine guys (unless they shut one down completely) are kicking themselves, as a partially loaded gas turbine isn't that efficient.

As for your sketch, very pretty, but not too practical, as with all of that superstructure above the forecastle, and the wheelhouse aft, you're going to have a huge blind spot, extending nearly a ship length forward of the bow, and I don't think class likes that too much. That's why container stacks step down toward the bow.

In the early 70s the EUROLINER Class of 4 vessels ran constantly for 28 knots on distillate... 270 tonnes/day. Changed one gas generator changed for once a month for overhaul. Cost $1m per ship/month. Normal change time about 18 hours to take one out and put in replacement during normal cargo operations. If slow steaming required, one engine shut down and steam at 21 knots. Sealand were doing over 30 knots and bringing 500 tonnes/day. The EUROLINER class were sold in the late 70s and replaced with diesels.

My sketch is completely practical. My was sketch is fine for blind spot.... see attached. Far better than what some box boats are doing!

1112729793_CGMcontainer-ship-16-wiki-19057.jpg.6afbc1adf2a0c54ec322d52f1a817a12.jpg

763977997_cgmcontainer_ship_sil.jpg.ecd762aee441f5fe2e1d989fb44a3b10.jpg

I won't quote the post with the photos of the AIDA prima, so as not to expose us all to more of that paint job, but why, why are some lines making their ships look like some toy in a kindergarten class?

It's their signature... I found an article about the origins and here is a quote:

Arriving at your AIDA ship you can immediately identify the ship because of the unique exterior “hull art” with the AIDA stylized eyes and lips. The giant red lips and bright eyes on the hull are the work of the German artist Feliks Buttner who had the Egyptian Princess Aida of Verdi’s opera in mind when he created the AIDA face. AIDA says the art embodies the playful spirit of the firm and gives the ships a “welcome feeling.”

While I can't speak to whether or not it works, the interiors of some of their new ships, including AIDAprima that I linked to, are gorgeous.

Edited by InTheWASide

Quite right. Even a large ship like Queen Mary 2 has a problems. Definitely not overcrowded... the ship is just too big. Too far to go from one place to another and just further if you are going up and down. I think the HAL Signature class ship are just about the biggest are you can have for a comfortable size. Crystal have new class coming out. Roughly same size as HAL Signature.... and just over 1,000. Might even get lonely!

Edited by Topsham

The would require some magic, since they are going 103% of the Oasis class passengers in 84% of the tonnage, with the added constraint of the LNG tanks, which are 6 times the size of residual fuel oil tanks.

Good point. While it's still so far out that deck plans aren't available yet they do say that they have found ways to make the ship feel more spacious and give better use of space. I see no reason to doubt the claim until they can be proven otherwise.

Not to mention it's incredibly unlikely I'll find myself on an AIDA or Costa ship. I'll follow announcements about these ships however, as you never know what may eventually translate into other Carnival Corp brands down the road... even if scaled down to meet a particular brand's needs

I don't like the looks of the new ships. They do not have lines. Of all the ships in the HAL fleet I think that the Prinsendam has the most classic lines. Ships today are built for revenue flow, and I both accept and understand that. Marine architects seem to keep stacking decks higher and higher. They are 15 to 16 stories tall and they look top heavy. The days of the elegance of the old Rotterdam are gone and will not return -- we just have to live with it. /SIZE]

The days of the elegance of the old Rotterdam are gone and will not return -- we just have to live with it. /SIZE]

A flight to Schipol and taxi ride and you are back on the s.s. ROTTERDAM... and Oceaan Bar is just as good as before.

If you ever get a chance... well worth a visit... or a stay on board.

Stephen

The design has little or no relationship to the sea.

The only reason to know it's a ship is the pointed bow. Otherwise it could be a floating apartment block....looking like it was built by the Soviet Union...maybe taken from East Germany and put on a barge.

It's awful.

Where is the great ship France/Norway when we need her ? That was a passenger ship in the best sense of the word.

IMO

As somebody who has at least temporarily gravitated to a smaller line with smaller ships and is sad at the departure of the Ryndam and Statendam it doesn't take much to guess how I voted. About the only ship in the fleet I will really want to sail on will be the Prinsedam as long as she lasts.

Quite right. Even a large ship like Queen Mary 2 has a problems. Definitely not overcrowded... the ship is just too big. Too far to go from one place to another and just further if you are going up and down. I think the HAL Signature class ship are just about the biggest are you can have for a comfortable size. Crystal have new class coming out. Roughly same size as HAL Signature.... and just over 1,000. Might even get lonely!

I agree that QM2 is bigger than I'd like. I would prefer something more like 70,000 gross tons, about 963 ft long, carrying about 1900 passengers. But that ship has sailed, as the saying goes. Part of what you get for QM2's size is space. It never feels crowded on board, except at the parties in the Queens Room. I look at the hiking and climbing as exercise. Saves going to the gym. :eek:

On our recent QM2 crossing, we had a sheltered balcony cabin near C stairway, and I enjoyed the artwork as I climbed the stairs. ;)

So if I get what people have been posting, we've got:

QM2 150,000 GT and 2620 pax (soon to be increased somewhat)

Oasis 225,280 GT and 6410 pax

New Carnivore build 180,000 GT and 6600 pax.

How are pax on this ship not going to feel like sardines crammed into a can??????? "Plans for more personal space" sounds like they expect you to spend your time in your cabin/balcony???

My vote: YUCK!!!!!!!!!! (insert barfing emoticon here)

It's the nature of the beast. More cabins, balconies and attractions on board to keep the passengers occupied. It seems that"s what the new passengers want as shown by the success if Royals floating amusement parks. Let's just hope HAL doesn't follow.

I agree that QM2 is bigger than I'd like. I would prefer something more like 70,000 gross tons, about 963 ft long, carrying about 1900 passengers. But that ship has sailed, as the saying goes. Part of what you get for QM2's size is space. It never feels crowded on board, except at the parties in the Queens Room. I look at the hiking and climbing as exercise. Saves going to the gym. :eek:

On our recent QM2 crossing, we had a sheltered balcony cabin near C stairway, and I enjoyed the artwork as I climbed the stairs. ;)

So if I get what people have been posting, we've got:

QM2 150,000 GT and 2620 pax (soon to be increased somewhat)

Oasis 225,280 GT and 6410 pax

New Carnivore build 180,000 GT and 6600 pax.

My vote: YUCK!!!!!!!!!! (insert barfing emoticon here)

How about the next Crystal... 95,000 for 1100 pa.

I agree, 70,000 is a good size... and 1,200 would be fine too!

How about, 55,000 for 995? Watch this space!!!!

Glad you like the artwork!

I tried QM2 but she didn't bite me. A lot of it I do like but QV and QE.... I fell in love with those two. Now if you could combine a ship like Nw AMSTERDAM and QUEEN VICTORIA it would be FANTASTIC!!!

Stephen