what's with credit card preauthorization charge?

susiesan

I went to do online check in today for Veendam cruise Sept. 12. I filled out all information except the credit card preauthorization. HAL wants to tie up $840 of my money from now until the end of the cruise Sept. 21. No way I will give them the use of my money interest free for 2 months.

I checked the cash box and I will wait until we board the ship and have them change to a credit card then. I have never had a cruise line precharge for possible onboard spending let alone such a large amount. $60 a day each? I have no intention of spending $120 a day as I have enough OBC to cover everything.

Is this policy exclusive to HAL? I know Princess as a CCL brand does not do this.

It is not a charge. It is a hold on credit for the amount of 60 dollars per person per day. The hold will not take effect until the day you board.

It is standard practice in the industry to protect against people who don't have enough credit left on their card to pay off their shipboard account.

At the end of the cruise an actual charge will be made and the hold will be released.

Hotels do the same thing when you check in. They just don't tell you.

Edited by sapper1

I went to do online check in today for Veendam cruise Sept. 12. I filled out all information except the credit card preauthorization. HAL wants to tie up $840 of my money from now until the end of the cruise Sept. 21. No way I will give them the use of my money interest free for 2 months.

I checked the cash box and I will wait until we board the ship and have them change to a credit card then. I have never had a cruise line precharge for possible onboard spending let alone such a large amount. $60 a day each? I have no intention of spending $120 a day as I have enough OBC to cover everything.

Is this policy exclusive to HAL? I know Princess as a CCL brand does not do this.

no the policy is not exclusive to HAL. hotels do it, rental cars and do it and so the other cruise lines. HAL just happens to disclose.

It's a "hold" on your card to make sure the bill will be paid and it is not put on until you board the ship.

Lots of companies put holds on cards all the time. Non issue with me. They are not "taking" your money, just making sure that you have room on your credit card to pay the bill at the end.

no the policy is not exclusive to HAL. hotels do it, rental cars and do it and so the other cruise lines. HAL just happens to disclose.

It's a "hold" on your card to make sure the bill will be paid and it is not put on until you board the ship.

Lots of companies put holds on cards all the time. Non issue with me. They are not "taking" your money, just making sure that you have room on your credit card to pay the bill at the end.

The way it reads on the check in page makes it sound like as soon as you give them the credit card number HAL will tie up your credit. I'm still going to wait until closer to the cruise or boarding to change it from cash to credit card.

The actual "hold" will not happen until you check in at the pier.

HAL just wants you to know what they will be holding against your credit card once you get on the ship. Thus you should make certain that you have more than an low limit on that card if you plan on using that card to spend in the various ports and on the ship like specialty restaurants, the shops, drinks, etc.

I have over 250 days on HAL and never once has the hold been applied until the day we boarded the ship. The OP has nothing to worry about in that respect.

Also, never once has anyone reported on this board that their card has been subjected to a hold prior to boarding.

Edited by sapper1

The way it reads on the check in page makes it sound like as soon as you give them the credit card number HAL will tie up your credit. I'm still going to wait until closer to the cruise or boarding to change it from cash to credit card.

I was worried about doing it so early at first but after reading info on, we at ahead and filled it out. That was months ago and no hold has been placed on my card. When you enter the info it has a disclosure

This authorization will not be placed against your credit or debit card(s) until the day of sailing. Learn more...

That is direct from the page where you fill out your info so it's very clear that it doesn't happen until sailing. If you have ever booked a hotel online and then at check, they say, we need a cc on file, that is because they are doing the same thing.....it's really nothing to worry about.

I have booked on line early for years and as soon as my new CC arrives with the right expiry date I will finish it off. One thing done and one thing less to do.

I have never had a hold placed early (and yes, I DO know how to check holds) and I am really at a loss to figure out why you think they will do it when you fill our the on line form.

Because I was shaking my head to make sure I wasn't losing it or something had changed, I went to the site and here is what it says about your credit card"

"I hereby grant permission to Holland America Line (hereinafter "HAL") to use the credit/debit card(s) I have presented to settle my onboard account and the onboard accounts for guests as designated during my online and/or onboard registration. I understand and agree that HAL may seek multiple authorizations on my credit/debit card(s) to enable HAL to settle the onboard charges. I further understand that the initial authorization will be in an amount equal to US $30.00 per person, for guests 18 years of age and older, multiplied by the number of days of the cruise, and that if there are charges in excess of the initial authorization amount, HAL may seek authorizations for those amounts. If a guest turns 18 during the course of the cruise, the daily pre-authorization or cash deposit will apply beginning on his/her birthday through the remainder of the cruise. I also acknowledge that my onboard purchases will be charged to my credit/debit card(s) in U.S. dollars. Any conversion to a currency other than U.S. dollars is at the discretion of the credit/debit card issuing bank. In the event that sufficient credit or fund account balance is not available, or the authorization of such card(s) is (are) rejected, I hereby grant HAL permission to charge any credit/debit card(s) that I have previously submitted for payment."

I copied the thing in full so it is complete. No where does it say that the hold starts when you enter the information. It is to settle your onboard account, so when you get on board, it comes into effect. I believe (if my memory isn't failing me), they will swipe it at that time for the authorization.

I have booked on line early for years and as soon as my new CC arrives with the right expiry date I will finish it off. One thing done and one thing less to do.

I have never had a hold placed early (and yes, I DO know how to check holds) and I am really at a loss to figure out why you think they will do it when you fill our the on line form.

Because I was shaking my head to make sure I wasn't losing it or something had changed, I went to the site and here is what it says about your credit card"

"I hereby grant permission to Holland America Line (hereinafter "HAL") to use the credit/debit card(s) I have presented to settle my onboard account and the onboard accounts for guests as designated during my online and/or onboard registration. I understand and agree that HAL may seek multiple authorizations on my credit/debit card(s) to enable HAL to settle the onboard charges. I further understand that the initial authorization will be in an amount equal to US $30.00 per person, for guests 18 years of age and older, multiplied by the number of days of the cruise, and that if there are charges in excess of the initial authorization amount, HAL may seek authorizations for those amounts. If a guest turns 18 during the course of the cruise, the daily pre-authorization or cash deposit will apply beginning on his/her birthday through the remainder of the cruise. I also acknowledge that my onboard purchases will be charged to my credit/debit card(s) in U.S. dollars. Any conversion to a currency other than U.S. dollars is at the discretion of the credit/debit card issuing bank. In the event that sufficient credit or fund account balance is not available, or the authorization of such card(s) is (are) rejected, I hereby grant HAL permission to charge any credit/debit card(s) that I have previously submitted for payment."

I copied the thing in full so it is complete. No where does it say that the hold starts when you enter the information. It is to settle your onboard account, so when you get on board, it comes into effect. I believe (if my memory isn't failing me), they will swipe it at that time for the authorization.

Yes, I believe they do. We were just on QM2 and that's what they did. I'm pretty sure HAL does the same. It doesn't have to be the card you registered. Just give them some plastic with sufficient credit and you're good to board.

as mentioned this is standard practice in the hotel and cruise industry. we dont mind it as when we are onboard, our credit cards are influenced by the cruise so the convenience of not having to deal with the office/cash etc is quite appealing ..

I suggest you consider biting the bullet and just go with the flow.

harry

Agree with the others.. The hold does not go onto your credit card until the day you sail.. If you want, you can also make a cash deposit at the front office instead of giving them a credit card.. Don't forget that you also will be charged a Hotel Service Charge daily of either $11.50 or $12.00 depending on your cabin type..

BTW every cruise line we've ever sailed on, car we've ever rented & hotel we've ever stayed in has put a hold on our credit card when we check in.. Most of the vendors have this info buried in their fine print & just you haven't noticed it..

Will boarding passes print without credit card info in the advance check in? I've always put ours in when I fill out the check-in so didn't know.

You can print your docs without giving a credit card number at pre-registration on line. Check the 'cash' box. They will ask again if you wish to give a credit card and you check No/cash and you will be able to print your boarding passes and luggage tags. :)

You state that Princess does not do this, but there is a thread on the Princess board where a poster is complaining because Princess placed a $500 hold on her American Express Credit Card;)

see: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2153881&highlight=credit+card+holds

You probably never even realized that Princess places holds on your credit card..;)

Most car rental companies do it.

As do hotels and several other hospitality-related industries. Unless they've changes things, the hold goes on when you actually check in at the pier.

To the people with concerns (not you Sail, I'm just too lazy to start a new post) --

All the hold does is reserve a certain amount of your credit line to cover anticipated charges. It's done to prevent a situation where the customer goes to check out but doesn't have sufficient credit to complete the transaction.

You may not realize this, but when you "Pay at the Pump" at a gas station, a hold is placed on your credit card - probably $50 or $75 - and the hold stays on your account for up to 72 hours after you pump your gas and drive away.

http://bbbconsumereducation.com/warning-for-pay-at-the-pump-consumers-account-holds/

Now you can freak out every time you need gas. :eek:

Edited by POA1

Even if that were correct (which it isn't), it still has nothing to do with giving HAL the use of your money, interest free or otherwise. HAL doesn't get to use any of your money except for the amount which it finally charges you at the end of your cruise.

And therefore it will make absolutely no difference whether you give HAL the credit card number now or wait until later. You're just storing up a potential problem for yourself if you don't do it now.

We should be grateful that HAL is so upfront about exactly what it does, so that we can if necessary plan for this. Another cruise line did it a different way, authorising small amounts every day (and sometimes more than once a day) for the entire duration of the cruise, until eventually the credit card company's fraud detector tripped and blocked my card. Trying to sort that out on a sea day was not my idea of fun.

Nearly all cruise lines follow this credit hold practice although they all have different formulas. What makes HAL somewhat unique is that they disclose the policy. As an example of other lines, Carnival puts a $200 per person hold on a week cruise, but suspect that most of their cruisers have no clue.

Hank

Nearly all cruise lines follow this credit hold practice although they all have different formulas. What makes HAL somewhat unique is that they disclose the policy. As an example of other lines, Carnival puts a $200 per person hold on a week cruise, but suspect that most of their cruisers have no clue.

Hank

I get it now. HAL wants to put $420 per person as a hold for a 7 day cruise. This seems excessive.

I get it now. HAL wants to put $420 per person as a hold for a 7 day cruise. This seems excessive.

$60pp/pd is probably an amount based on billing averages over an extended period of time. Remember, HAL doesn't make any money on their hold, so they aren't doing it to squeeze a few more pennies from passengers.

Nor does the hold cost you anything. Unless you are maxed out on your card, or close to that point, it shouldn't have any impact on you.

Edited by Fouremco

Really? The hotel service charge is $80.50 (assuming you are not in a suite) which leaves $339.50. A couple of shore excursions, a specialty dinner and a bar bill can eat up most of that not to mention any purchases on board, spa, etc.

Remember, it's just a hold, not a charge ;)

thanks for this important info - since we are doing a 50 day cruise that

is a rather large hold on our credit card. Will have to check with the

bank as we use the card for shopping in ports too and may change this.

Perhaps marking in cash and then paying with a credit card is the best

option for a long cruise. any advice gratefully accepted!

thanks for this important info - since we are doing a 50 day cruise that

is a rather large hold on our credit card.

For cruises over 30 days, the hold is $30 per day.

Now, I don't know if this formula will hold true if you are taking a series of back-to-back or Collectors' Cruises to add up to 50 days. But if it is truly one 50-day cruise, the credit card hold is 1/2 of the amount discussed here.

For some cruisers it certainly is "overkill", such as those who never but HAL shore exs. on board, nor buy anything significant onboard. But for many it is reasonable in terms of average onboard expenses. Two to four shore ex. on a seven day cruise can add up to hundreds, then for some drinks add up quite quickly and then there is the service charge/gratuity, whatever you call it. Since the only charges actually made to your card are your actual charges - you are not out any money.

Now, IF you only have one CC and your charges are already near you max. allowed for the timeframe of the cruise - a "hold" can be a problem if you want to make charges while in ports. Other than that is is truly a Non-issue.

Until HAL started being transparent about the "hold", I do not recall anyone being "caught" by it and complaining on CC nor onboard ships (don't read every post ). I would bet some were, but I never heard of anyone on my many cruise days. Once HAL made this an open fact, many complain but again pre-cruise, but again I do not recall any actual significant bad experience stories about actual troubles on CC, although I certainly do not read all complaint posts. (Perhaps some folk would prefer that HAL not be so open and honest!)

It is only because of HAL that I learned about routine holds placed on cards for Car Rentals (confirmed) and even some gas stations where they run your card before you can pump gasoline into your car (also confirmed).

Edited by wander