Today, is my 45th Anniversary.....

rkacruiser

of my first cruise! S. S. Rotterdam V, sailing at 8:00 P. M. from Pier 40 in New York, an 11 day cruise to Bermuda and the Caribbean.

I still remember the excitement of sailing down the Hudson as darkness fell on the city/river and all of the sights I saw that evening.

My friend and I stayed out on deck sightseeing almost too long. Nearly missed our first dinner: the La Fontaine Dining Room was closed and we only made it to the Lido Restaurant with 15 minutes to spare. It was a grand dinner! A great beginning to a wonderful cruise!

45 years later, I still love to cruise and am looking forward to my next one!

What a great sailing that must've been. We were fortunate to tour (twice) the Rotterdam V last fall and it's just an unbelievably gorgeous ship.

Some of its rooms are better than any room floating today.

WOW!! Happy Anniversary indeed :)

Rotterdam was such a beautiful ship to cruise on. Only on her once long, long ago and we really enjoyed her. What a great way to start your cruising history.

You got me thinking (and checking) and August 1 will be my 45th (Nieuw Amsterdam from Rotterdam to New York). I had spent the summer in Germany with my sister and her husband and we came home together on the ship. I was booked in a stateroom with two other young women, and I think the restroom was down the hall. I was assigned to a table of ten passengers from several countries, and was amazed at the breadth and depth of conversation each night. It was many years before I was on a ship again, and I've enjoyed every trip, but that first one really opened the world to me. Or me to it.

I can't remember my first HAL sailing ... I was just a babe in arms and it certainly was no cruise but rather a crossing in the cheapest cabin. 1937!!! on the Veendam. - Years later I was working in Baltimore and watched her come into the harbor on the way to the scrapyard. Lots of crossing and cruising since then .. but still favor HAL.

Susan

Many thanks to all who responded to my post. I do appreciate it very much. CC is a special place to me. Over the years, I have learned much, have gained new friends, and hope I have made a positive contribution to our community.

sppunk,

I will be visiting Rotterdam on the VOV in 2016 and nothing is more important on my sightseeing list than a visit to Hotel Rotterdam V. I would love to see my original stateroom: an outside cabin, on a corridor that led from the foyer between the two dining rooms; the Odyssey Dining Room was an interior venue and my cabin was on the corridor on the other side of the bulkhead from the dining room. It was an almost "you can't get there from here" situation. But, I doubt that area will be open to the public.

PatsyAnne,

My 2nd cruise was on Rotterdam V in 1971 and we returned to New York following Nieuw Amsterdam into her berth at Pier 40. She sailed for Europe the next afternoon and my Mother, Brother, and I returned to Pier 40 to visit her during embarkation. A truly beautiful ship with so much more class than most vessels sailing today. Standing out in my memory is the wood and darkness of the Jungle Bar (which I think is the proper name) and the fabric covered domed two story ceiling of the First Class Dining Room.

There are several ships of the past on which I was never able to sail and Nieuw Amsterdam is one of them. I am glad that you were able to enjoy this fine vessel!

Hi bob,

We have been sailing for a long time with HAL, but not so long as you. Today I had to call about another matter and the woman who helped me told me that George and I had 38 cruises with HAL. We did not realize that. I could not believe that.

But forty five years is a big commitment. There should be a special medal for that. With some more perks, too. I guess it represents umpteen cruises.

D

That's a very happy anniversary to have, and I bet you have some great memories of all those sailings since the Rotterdam.:)

Thankfully, I do have many wonderful memories of other cruises. Some better than others, not surprisingly.

But, those three cruises on Rotterdam V, 1970 and 1971 to Bermuda and the Caribbean, and the 1996 cruise--NORTH, to Alaska--exceeded by far some of my most recent cruise experiences.

Thank you for your good wishes.

PatsyAnne,

My 2nd cruise was on Rotterdam V in 1971 and we returned to New York following Nieuw Amsterdam into her berth at Pier 40. She sailed for Europe the next afternoon and my Mother, Brother, and I returned to Pier 40 to visit her during embarkation. A truly beautiful ship with so much more class than most vessels sailing today. Standing out in my memory is the wood and darkness of the Jungle Bar (which I think is the proper name) and the fabric covered domed two story ceiling of the First Class Dining Room.

There are several ships of the past on which I was never able to sail and Nieuw Amsterdam is one of them. I am glad that you were able to enjoy this fine vessel!

Being a poor student at the time, I was in steerage (ok, second class), but I made friends with one of the Dutch engineers who snuck me into the first class movies and other places like the engine room. I think he was able to get Heineken for $.13 a bottle. I was very fortunate to be able to sail then (and now).

Congratulations on your 45th anniversary of cruising. Trish

of my first cruise! S. S. Rotterdam V, sailing at 8:00 P. M. from Pier 40 in New York, an 11 day cruise to Bermuda and the Caribbean.

I still remember the excitement of sailing down the Hudson as darkness fell on the city/river and all of the sights I saw that evening.

My friend and I stayed out on deck sightseeing almost too long. Nearly missed our first dinner: the La Fontaine Dining Room was closed and we only made it to the Lido Restaurant with 15 minutes to spare. It was a grand dinner! A great beginning to a wonderful cruise!

45 years later, I still love to cruise and am looking forward to my next one!

I thought you were going to say it was your Wedding Anniversary...

Like you I also had my first cruise in 1970, but it was in the Greek Isles on "Hellenic Cruises" the T.S.S. Orion when I was young, single, skinny & carefree..

Because of your thread I just spent an hour looking over my pictures & saved itinerary.. I can vividly remember the wonderful time my Friend & I had on that cruise..Thanks to Copper10-8 also have a great picture of the Orion at sea with it's complete history...

Only papers I have were the mimeographed daily schedule & the Capt.'s Dinner menu, which included Russian Black Caviar, & either Lobster Bellevue or Roast Young turkey..Dessert was Baked Alaska or Fresh Fruit..I still do not enjoy caviar..The menu consisted of Hors D'oeuvres, Soup, a Main Course, a Salad, Fromages (Cheese), & Dessert with Nescafe coffee, Sanka Chamomile Tea & C ocoa..For some reason I don't remember having wine..

I'm sure you are enjoying re-living your cruise as I did tonight..Wasn't that a wonderful time..

Thank you so much for reminding me of my first cruise too & wishing you

Happy Anniversary & Memories..

P.S. My next cruise was not until after I was married in 1983 & I spent months trying to convince DH & Friends that they would enjoy a cruise..We still enjoy cruising.. Can't wait till our next cruse in Nov.

Edited by serendipity1499

Being a poor student at the time, I was in steerage (ok, second class), but I made friends with one of the Dutch engineers who snuck me into the first class movies and other places like the engine room. I think he was able to get Heineken for $.13 a bottle. I was very fortunate to be able to sail then (and now).

Congratulations on your 45th anniversary of cruising. Trish

On the Rotterdam, Heineken was 10 cents a glass for draft! And, at that time, I did not like beer!