Cabin 6102, 6100 Amsterdam

newfielover

I am thinking about booking one of these rooms for my Alaskan cruise 2016. Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? Would you book them again? The 2 angled windows look really neat in 6102. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We did not stay in these rooms but had ship friends who invited us in to see their cabin. The arrangement of furniture is a bit odd but the view from the windows is definitely spectacular as you look right out over the bow like the navigators do on the bridge.

You are rather high up and forward on the ship in these cabins so you need to consider whether you might have issues in heavy seas. The size of the cabin was a bit compact and I do not remember if they had a couch or just a chair. I also think the storage space was a bit limited.

There is, however, a forward deck right in front of the windows which is only a step or two away so your vantage point for quick sight seeing is very good - a good consideration for Alaska. The forward deck does not have any seating on it, but it does have the views.

Be aware that at night you must keep your curtains closed not only for privacy from folks who use that deck at night, but because you are near the bridge and the light could hamper ship's navigation.

Maybe someone has some photos to share.

It should also be noted that the cabins are just above the main theater so I would suspect that you might be able to hear performances and rehearsals at times but I am not sure about that.

Here are the comments from the cited website (it is regarding the Volendam cabin 6100 but same design as the A'dam.

Forward View. Unusual square cabin – smaller than standard o/v – no couch. This cabin gets noise through the deck from the show lounge below due to excessive volume. Bingo numbers can easily be heard. Blind over single window has to be lowered at night by steward for safe navigation.

Thanks for all the info and help. It sounds like a neat cabin!

Just so you understand that it may be noisy in the evening and afternoon and that you will have to keep the shade drawn all night.

btw - know a guy named Lou who lives in Mpls. who has had newfies for years - is it you and could the world be that small??

Back in 2009 we did the 7 night Alaska in #6102. We loved the cabin for the forward view, and being able to easily access the forward viewing area right outside.

Cons: Yes, it is a strange shape. I don't recall about a couch or chair. YES, as others have mentioned - you can hear what is going on in the showroom. We always went to the early show and then often heard the "Encore" while getting ready for bed. In the mornings (7:30!) there was a good-sized 'Christian group' on board and they would have services. They typically started just as we were leaving the cabin. Again, this didn't bother us - but if we were late sleepers it could have!:eek:

Pros: Location - location - location! We loved the location. The only whales we saw on the trip were from the viewing deck just outside the cabin. The two windows are great and the forward view is something we have not had the pleasure of repeating to date.

I hope this helps with your decision!