Your opinion on Carnival Corp's new design?

InTheWASide

What do you think of the ship's LOOK?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the ship's LOOK?

• I like it
    • Not a fan
    • Other, see my comments below

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on Costa's new ship design (and I'm fully aware this is the HAL board, thank you)

As this is part of Carnival Corp's 9 ships by 2022 initiative and Carnival Corp rarely has overall designs that don't permeate most of the brands, I wanted to see what everyone thought of the AESTHETICS of this new ship.

Yes, most people on here prefer smaller ships, would never consider something like this with 2600 cabins, etc. I'm not asking that in this poll.

For what it is, do you think this ship has a nice AESTHETIC? The lines all around, the walk around promenade, etc. If docked next to this ship, in looks only (not size) would you cringe or be impressed (even if the Costa brand itself is not your "cup of tea")

Thank you

NewCostaShipsLNG2-550x413.jpg

NewCostashipsLNG1-550x232.jpg

NewCostashipsLNG4-550x408.jpg

Edited by InTheWASide

I actually like it, very similar lineage to what RCCL and X has. I especially like the aft. Those cabins will be great. I just wish that CCL would move their ship building away from Fincantieri. I personally think the ships built at Meyer Werft are a much better built ship. I compare it like a Mercedes to a Fiat. :D http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/costa-diadema-cruise-ship/

The bow looks like it belongs on an oil tanker, although the lines improve as you move aft. It almost looks like different parts of her were given to different design teams.

While aesthetically appealing, the aft cabins provide no privacy as they all face each other.

Don't hate it, but don't love it either.

P.S. Just saw previous post from 0bnxshs and agree.

Edited by Fouremco

I accept what is coming. I have changed over the years. I liked the "S" ships and then the "R" came out and I liked them even better--particularly the Amsterdam and Volendam.

When I first sailed the Zuiderdam I did not care for it. Eventually I came to accept the Vista class ships. I nervously tried the Eurodam and liked it. Then I tried the Nieuw Amsterdam, since I had once sailed on the old Nieuw Amsterdam and guess what--I love that ship. I am looking forwad to sailing the Koeningsdam a year from December. Right now I am on the Statendam and I find this nice ship to be too small. I miss the mid-ship elevators and the Sea View Elevators of the Vista and Signature Ship vessels. I do not think the competition will allow HAL to build small ships in the future.

Hate the Costa stack, but that's just me. :D

The plumb stem with a bulbous bow is gaining in acceptance as an efficient design for seakeeping (mainly reducing pitch motion). I think the Virgin ship design even has a reverse bow.

The rest looks pretty "stock".

If they:

- Remove two-three passenger decks (lol yeah right);

- Cut out those top two "overflow" decks - they KILL the ship and make it looks incredibly top-heavy (but it's not, just looks deceivement);

- Stretched out the bow similar to the Signature-class ships

I think it'd be quite attractive. As it stands, it's fine and IMO better than the Voyager, Oasis or Anthem-class RCCL ships but not as clean as the Solstice-class ships.

It's as butt ugly as NCLs new ships. More like a hotel floating on its side than a ship.

Just my $0.02

Mike

Not half as ugly as either Pride of America or Epic with its "eyebrow" and some Costa ships are adding these "floating condominiums" on top.

Raise you $0.02

Just noticed where I've seen this design before and I guess it makes sense. There's a lot of design queues coming from AIDA's new ship coming out soon, Aidaprima.

Makes sense as Costa and Aida are both part of Costa Group

AIDAprima_artist_impression_2.jpg

image-554083-galleryV9-uhjt.jpg

I think the design is superior to the NCL Epic and the Quantum Class and Oasis Class of RCI.

I think the design is OK. Although I prefer ship designs that remind one of an ocean going vessel, i.e. the Statendam Class, the original Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary, or the Royal Viking Line ships, rather than a very large floating resort.

I actually like it, very similar lineage to what RCCL and X has. I especially like the aft. Those cabins will be great. I just wish that CCL would move their ship building away from Fincantieri. I personally think the ships built at Meyer Werft are a much better built ship. I compare it like a Mercedes to a Fiat. :D http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/costa-diadema-cruise-ship/

Given the problems Fiat Chrysler is having right now, did you really have to make that comparison! (Even if it is correct.)

Carnival is saying that they will hold 6600 passengers, but don't give the tonnage. The Oasis class ships hold 6400, but they are 220,000 tons. I don't think theses ships are anywhere near that, so they will probably be more crowded.

I agree with you Lisa but I think Carnival Corp and Fincantieri are like Siamese twins joined at the hip!

I agree with you Lisa but I think Carnival Corp and Fincantieri are like Siamese twins joined at the hip!

Yes, unfortunately that is very true but just once I would like to see them break away from them and build a ship elsewhere.

Yes, unfortunately that is very true but just once I would like to see them break away from them and build a ship elsewhere.

I cannot believe this, just as I wrote the above I open up my email and find this bit of information.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/costa-gets-two-next-generation-cruise-ships.html?u=19BC602D-5534-4B9E-A392-F0F8604DBB91

I had thought all the new Costa Ships were being built in Italy but looks like there is hope yet :) But Finland is a different option :D

Carnival Corp.’s Italian brand, Costa Cruises, will get two new next-generation cruise ships that will accommodate up to 6,600 passengers and operate on cleaner-burning fuel.

The ship order is part of Carnival’s agreement with shipbuilder Meyer Werft to build four cruise ships that will have the largest guest capacity in the world to date. The other two ships are going to Carnival’s German brand, AIDA Cruises. Both orders are part of Carnival’s massive order for nine cruise ships from Meyer Werft and Italy’s Fincantieri shipyard for delivery from 2019 to 2022.

The new Costa ships will be built at the Meyer shipyard in Turku, Finland, with deliveries expected in 2019 and 2020. Each ship will exceed 180,000 gross tons with capacities greater than on Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis-class ships, which measure 225,282 gross tons but accommodate up to 6,410 guests total. Carnival said that is possible due to a new design that will make “more efficient use of the ship’s spaces, which includes multi-functional common areas and plans for more personal space.”

These four new ships for Costa and AIDA will be the first in the industry to use liquefied natural gas (LNG), which Carnival says is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel. These ships will use LNG to generate 100 percent of the ship’s power both in port and on the open sea, which is an industry-first innovation that will significantly reduce exhaust emissions.

“These new ships will be phenomenal additions to our fleet, and we’re looking forward to seeing our Costa and AIDA brands bring this ground-breaking new ship design to life for our guests in a way that is customized for each brand,” said Carnival CEO Arnold Donald. “Above all, these strategic investments are designed to exceed the vacation needs of our guests, but it is also important to note that these next-generation ships are an important part of our measured growth strategy, which includes replacing less-efficient ships with newer, larger and more-efficient vessels over a very specific period of time.”

Don't knock container ships! Some are quite beautiful... well, the hulls are for speed! EUROLNER was twin gas turbines, 28 knots..... 10 crew and 15 officers!

I don't dislike of the new Costa ships and AIDA.. well, it is a new style. Some of the big NCL and RCI ship are just old ships that have 'grown' bigger. The new Costa and AIDA seem to be 'interesting'.

Attached.... a drawing sketch I made several years ago... before AIDA started the vertical bows. In mine the superstructure is built at the stern... two funnels on the sides etc.... the foredeck.... all of the pools etc. Not 6,000 pa... but for 1,000 pax..... would be great for HAL. ;-)

Stephen

EUROLINER.jpg.21138350b2c21c68085078e888b8cedf.jpg

1232129664_designcruiseship1..jpg.15cc92baaefe3ed6975f1d979c64b5ee.jpg