oosterdam

loula59

Hello, we have cruised with other lines but this is a first for us on holland america. We know this line is for older people, we are 56 and 64 and like to dance at night. We are going to the caribbean jan 8, 2016 and was wondering if there would be more activity at this time

Nightlife on HAL? Surely you jest. But seriously, you will find some folks awake until at least 11pm! As to dancing? You should have no problem finding room on a dance floor. But we are not sure what kind of music you will find these days. HAL seems to be in the process of reinventing itself when it comes to live music.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hello, we have cruised with other lines but this is a first for us on holland america. We know this line is for older people, we are 56 and 64 and like to dance at night. We are going to the caribbean jan 8, 2016 and was wondering if there would be more activity at this time

Welcome to HAL.

We will be on this cruise Nov 16 and will be scanning all of the daily activities and menus as well as doing a daily report. Stay tuned and feel free to post questions that we can research for you while on board.

My husband and I have never cruised on Hal and we are looking to cruise to the Caribbean jan 2016. We are active ages 56 and 64 and love nightlife such. As shows and dancing. We picked this cruise because we liked the itinerary. On that note we have heard that passengers on this line are early to bed. My concern is that there would be no nightlife. Please give us some info so that we can make a decision if we want to take this cruise, thanks

My husband and I have never cruised on Hal and we are looking to cruise to the Caribbean jan 2016. We are active ages 56 and 64 and love nightlife such. As shows and dancing. We picked this cruise because we liked the itinerary. On that note we have heard that passengers on this line are early to bed. My concern is that there would be no nightlife. Please give us some info so that we can make a decision if we want to take this cruise, thanks

You will find something you like on every cruise. True, HAL does attract a more mature crowd but honestly the liveliness can vary widely from one cruise date to another and same with one ship/itinerary versus another. And this variation is not just limited to HAL, it happens on all the cruise lines.

Being that Oosterdam is one of HAL's newer, larger ships and you will be cruising the Caribbean I think it will be a safe bet there will be plenty of nightlife for you. On my previous HAL cruises they've had great comedians, broadway revues and a great Beatles tribute band. One night they even have a show put on by the crew.

Beyond this there is always music in the piano bar and the Crow's Nest (Northern Lights) as well as other activities around the ship. I'm 53 but more likely to be hanging out with 30 year olds at clubs sometimes so I think you'll be fine. Plus typically the crews on HAL ships are incredibly helpful and friendly, moreso than on most other lines.

If you must have an overwhelming amount of activities then I suggest one of the larger Royal Caribbean ships with the ice skating rink and other amenities. However on those you will have to pick and chose activities since you can't possibly partake of them all.

I'm on Oosterdam with a friend in a month cruising Alaska and we will post trip details as we can. We can't wait! :)

Chris

Seeing as how senior discounts start at fifty, you will fit right in with the rest of the passengers. :) Wife and I are older than you and we have seen people older than us out late cutting a rug.:D That remark alone should give you an idea of our age. Enjoy your trip and dance away.

Activity at night varies by cruise to cruise and the passengers on board. I suspect yours will be lively.

We were on a 31 day on the Prinsendam - supposedly the ship for the oldies and bed time is at 9:30 a.m.

We closed the piano bar with a great group and other venues more times than I can count.

I am sure the ghosts of our spirits on that cruise still roam the Crow's Nest on board :)

We are younger than you by a decade and a half and HAL is our line of choice. What you chose to do makes the difference. If you want to dance then go to BB King in the Queen's Lounge or one of the other venues and dance. Age plays no part in it - Attitude does. Going in thinking everyone is old and there are no activities for you is no way to enjoy a vacation IMHO.