Best Viewing for Canal Cruise

After many years of wanting and wishing, my DW and I are going to take a west to east Panama Canal cruise in 2017. We live near Port Everglades which will make the trip home pretty easy. We also plan to spend some time pre-cruise in Seattle checking it out as we have not been there previously. The itineraries are not yet available, that I'm aware of, so we'll see what ship we end up embarking upon.

But my question is in regards to cabin location for purposes of viewing the canal. Typically we like the aft balconies, but is there any reason we should not select one for this trip. We certainly do intend to be on deck upon entering the canal, but I'm also guessing it will be with about 2000 of our new found friends ,and we may want the luxury/convenience of our balcony. There are a lot of unknowns for us about this cruise, so any of your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks and fair seas to all!:)

Going through the canal is a great experience. An aft balcony would be an excellent choice. Yes, by all means, get "Up and about" while going through the canal. You really do need to get "All over the ship" including the bow and the promenade deck.

When you've seen what you want to see, being able to retreat to your aft balcony while sailing through the main body of the canal and then watching the departure from the "Best view in the house" would be a lifetime memory.

One other thought - since you are booking so far ahead, try to get a "Lower deck" balcony so you are closer to the water (and the action on the sides of the canal).

We have always viewed from the balcony in front of the gym. If I remember corectly you go towards the gym and on the right there is a door out to the balcony. The advantage of this is you can easily move to view both sides of the transit

The itineraries aren't open for booking, but you can see what ships and dates are going to be available by looking at the Cruise Atlas which is available on HAL's website.

I printed page 148 of the Cruise Atlas and see that the Veendam and Rotterdam will be doing full transits of the Panama Canal in 2017. There may be more ships doing it, but page 148 had what I wanted.

You did not say which ship, but it sounds like you want to do the full transit.

If it helps - we did the partial transit on the Zuiderdam in an aft balcony (5185) and it was perfect. We went out front on one of the decks that is normally only open to crew (they allow you to do this for the transit), where they were serving panama rolls and coffee for the approach to the Canal. I think it was deck three or four). We then went to various spots on the open decks as we went through the locks, but then returned to our own balcony when we were leaving and going back through the locks.

We love the aft balconies because they are so roomy and you have full size loungers as well as two chairs, footstool and coffee table.

We also did the aft wrap 5191 on the Westerdam for a Caribbean cruise and it was lovely to have all that space and view.

On full canal transit's you'll have a tendency to move around the ship to get the best views of the canal.

I agree with Kamloops here. On a full transit we move around the ship but have found the least amount of fellow passengers at the aft end and you get a great panorama view of the various locks. So I also say get an aft balcony.

Another vote for all over the ship, plus all forward balconies and the bow are open, and you really need to view it going into the locks, not after you've gone through. Then from the sides as well, where you can almost touch the lock walls. An aft balcony would be OK but don't just stay there. On our transit there were forward balconies on 6, 7 in front of the gym, and the bow was very festive!

When my DW and I took cruised the Canal, we found that the best place to be was on the overlook forward on the ship. We also found that just sitting on our balcony (veranda) offered a wonderful view.

Either port or starboard is fine IMHO. During our transit we went to both sides of the ship and found that neither was better than the other.

Enjoy your transit!

The bow (including a round of delicious panama buns) ;) > Early in the morning (around 4:00 AM)

Port board or Starboard, almost the same… Better if verandah and up…

Promenade deck Aft.

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

I vote for the aft cabin too. When DH and I did a full transit, we were not able to get to the rear of the boat because the cables that attach the boat to the mules attached on the back somewhere. In an aft cabin you would get to see the gates close behind you. Something that we missed. You will love having the aft cabin.

It takes hours to make the full transit and the captain will have a pretty good idea of when he will be allowed to enter the 1st locks and will let you know, but Panama City in the predawn is quite nice plus all the other ships waiting to go through. Definitely want to watch the initial entry from the bow of the ship and the attachment of the mules. As going west to east (in theory), the port side has most of the action but the mules will be on both sides. Love watching the massive doors open and close so you may want to move about to see this from both ends. HAL will have lecturers talking for most of the transit and you can only hear this in public areas. Our 1st transit was with a balcony but we did not spend much time there as wanted to hear the talks. Watching the wall come up as we 'sank' in the lock and block the view in the cabin was unique as we were on the side!

Do find this 100-year old piece of engineering a true marvel in its simplicity and never tire of watching the action. Once had a shark transit with us.... wonder what he paid.

Have an awesome time!

I am looking to book this for 2016 so thanks for all info! I've done a partial transit (in the rain!) but looking forward to a full transit. And considering a verandah but cost may push me back to ocean view.

I have narrowed the ship choices down to the Veendam and Nueiw Amsterdam in October 2016.

One point: moving around the ship, high, low, forward, aft gives a hugely different perspective than staying in one place.

Through the locks on the top deck gives a view so different from being on the lower promenade. Seeing the looks from the bow is sensational, but don't miss the view from aft.

You really need to be out and about!

I did a full transit (Pacific to Atlantic) on the Amsterdam in December 2013.

Obiously, aft wraps were not an option--we were in Neptune suites midships. But I spent almost none of my time in the cabin, on the balcony.

In the morning, as we approached Bridge of the Americas and Miraflores, I was on Deck 6, forward. This provided a full panorama of Panama City, Balboa and the approach to the locks. For San Miguel, I moved to the aft of the ship.

Going through the Culebra Cut, I moved forward again, still saying high up. The top deck is good for Gatun Lake, as you start to encounter vessel traffic in the other direction.

For the Gatun Locks, I moved down to deck 3, to get a closer look at the lock operations, as well as taking a bit of time on the foredeck.

Given that the passage is going to take a full day, neither you, nor the other passengers are going to spend all of your time in one place.

Edited by visagrunt

We had an aft-wrap for our full transit last year. It was fantastic! I was out there before dawn and periodically throughout the day taking hundreds of photos. I roamed all around the ship, taking pictures from all angles. As the day wears on, there will be fewer people on deck, especially if it is hot. But from our balcony we got an unobstructed view of the operation of the locks and usually had a little shade. Do not forget to slather on the sun screen. I missed a spot and suffered later. And don't miss the Panama Buns on the bow in the morning!