Newbie questions

Geezer Cruiser

Hello folks,

The new cruisers area is very helpful, but I have a couple of questions that are Windstar-specific, so thought asking here might be a better idea. I've never been overnight on a ship before, and while I've traveled a fair amount, my mom has been more places than I have; she has been on a few cruises herself. She doesn't want to revisit places she's already been, so recently we went ahead and booked two singles for Iceland next summer.

I'm sure I'll have more to ask, but for now here are a couple of points:

Does Windstar get excited about cables, cords, etc? The outlets on the Pride seem to be at the edge of the desk, so I was hoping to use a short extension cord for my tablet and phone? Is the 110 socket recessed? My mom's Kindle charger has a flat/flush plug, so if that's an issue I'll suggest she use an adapter in the 220 socket instead.

Regarding incidentals - the trip itself is going on her card, but I'd like to have additional charges (drinks, laundry, etc.) on mine. I take it that is sorted out on arrival at registration?

Thanks in advance. My screen name indicates that I'm from the era of rabbit ears and rotary phones. My mother will be 79 when the ship sails, but most folks assume she's in her early-mid 60s.

After you board you will have to give them a credit card for your on board charges which is where you can use your card instead of your moms.

I can't remember about the plug ins. We had an iPad and two iPhones plus my kindle that charged at one point or another. I didn't have extension chords but I know folks have used surge protectors in the past to charge more than one thing at a time. We just took turns on charging.

Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Ski Mom 2

I always travel with a small power strip - holds 5 plugs, but I never use them all at once. Looks like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Cable-MPOTG400BK-Monster-Outlets-to-Go-Power-Strip-w-4-Outlets/10242760

I bought mine from Amazon, but I can't find it there at the moment.

Works like a charm in most applications. Although they say you shouldn't, I've used it with a 220 adapter many times with no problems. The only issue is a really annoying blue light that's easily covered with a piece of electrical tape.

The last time we were on the Breeze I couldn't get the 110 outlet to work reliably, and the easy route was to just use the 220 with my adapter between the outlet and the power strip. I have a very slim adapter that fits into almost any recessed 220 outlet.

We were on the Breeze and had no trouble using the 110 outlet. We bring and extension cord that has 3 outlets.

I wouldn't suggest bringing a surge suppressor. I've been reading that more and more ships don't let you use them. I've never had a problem with my extension cord.

Just got off the Star Legend. The 220 outlet IS recessed - you can use an adapter to then add a multiple socket - just get a socket that will accommodate what you will plug in (two prong or grounded three prong). Other wise you can just get a multiple plug in for the 110 outlet which is NOT recessed. I did both. There is no real need for a surge protector strip... but I can't see why WS would object - they are very easy going.

I always travel with a small power strip - holds 5 plugs, but I never use them all at once. Looks like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Cable-MPOTG400BK-Monster-Outlets-to-Go-Power-Strip-w-4-Outlets/10242760

I bought mine from Amazon, but I can't find it there at the moment.

Works like a charm in most applications. Although they say you shouldn't, I've used it with a 220 adapter many times with no problems. The only issue is a really annoying blue light that's easily covered with a piece of electrical tape.

The last time we were on the Breeze I couldn't get the 110 outlet to work reliably, and the easy route was to just use the 220 with my adapter between the outlet and the power strip. I have a very slim adapter that fits into almost any recessed 220 outlet.

I have that monster strip, too. I put layers of duct tape over the light, which muted it down to a dull roar. Used it in Spain for a week - no explosions, not even a tiny pop nor wisp of smoke. Noticed it was no longer available. The three outlet Asium strip would be a great alternative, as it has no surge suppressor for system spikes which is what causes problems, but a reset button if the user tries to draw too much power in with hair dryers, etc.

By the way, what is the screening for the carry on bags like? Have you been flagged or seen others have carry on "secondary" searches?

Regarding alcohol, my mom doesn't drink. I might have a couple of drinks per day, but that's it. I can certainly understand bring wine up front and paying the corkage fee if you're particular, or celebrating. However, sorry if this is offensive, but smuggling booze is juvenile and cheap to me. If I have the money for the cruise, I have a couple of hundred dollars for a bar tab!

One thing I'm really looking forward to are meeting the other cruisers. Windstar had an awesome reputation in terms of the passengers it attracts.

I have that monster strip, too. I put layers of duct tape over the light, which muted it down to a dull roar. Used it in Spain for a week - no explosions, not even a tiny pop nor wisp of smoke. Noticed it was no longer available. The three outlet Asium strip would be a great alternative, as it has no surge suppressor for system spikes which is what causes problems, but a reset button if the user tries to draw too much power in with hair dryers, etc.

By the way, what is the screening for the carry on bags like? Have you been flagged or seen others have carry on "secondary" searches?

Regarding alcohol, my mom doesn't drink. I might have a couple of drinks per day, but that's it. I can certainly understand bring wine up front and paying the corkage fee if you're particular, or celebrating. However, sorry if this is offensive, but smuggling booze is juvenile and cheap to me. If I have the money for the cruise, I have a couple of hundred dollars for a bar tab!

One thing I'm really looking forward to are meeting the other cruisers. Windstar had an awesome reputation in terms of the passengers it attracts.

The deal for us with bringing alcohol on board is specific to the inadequacy of the wine list, which on WS is Ok but very generic. That's fine for certain itins, but when we're cruising in Spain, Italy, France, Greece/Turkey etc., I want to buy interesting local wines to drink while we're in the region, not stuff bought from some wholesaler. So, for me its worth the effort to drag a few bottles on board.

Indeed, looks like Monster discontinued making that power strip. It was around for a long time. They do pop up on Ebay, however.

• 4 weeks later...

A short extension cord with at least three outputs is all you'll likely ever need. If you bring a surge protected terminal strip it will be confiscated as any [land not marine] surge protector used aboard a ship is a serious fire hazard.

Ships use a floating ground electrical system which doesn't always play nice with land based surge protectors. A malfunctioning land based surge protector is an invitation for a serious electrical fire and fire is the last thing you want on a ship. A marine certified surge protector is large and very expensive so don't even think of running out an getting one. Leave that Samsung Galaxy 7 phone at home too as [i think] ships have banned them like the airlines due to being a potential fire hazard. Planes don't do well with fires either. If you're sailing on one of the 'motor yachts' there is another 110V outlet behind the TV where a multi adapter plug can be used during your voyage.