What to do in San Juan, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten?

damusclefreak

Aloha,

Going on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Independence of the Seas. I wanted to get your fabulous input as to some fun/interesting things to do at each port (i.e. attractions, dining, sightseeing).

Here's the itinerary:

San Juan, PR - Arriving at 4PM

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - Arriving at 10AM

Basseterre, St. Kitts - Arriving at 7AM

I could not agree LESS with sr5242 and I hope you do not take that advice. St. Kitts is a LOVELY island. I've visited twice. Both times, after returning home and reviewing my photos, I found my St. Kitts photos to be the most beautiful.

I recommend doing an island tour on St. Kitts. I've toured with Jim & Rose and with Royston. Enjoyed both, but the Royston tour was absolutely fantastic! LOVED it. Was a little concerned because he uses a van with no windows and no A/C. Thought we'd bake. That wasn't the case at all and the lack of windows made for GREAT photo opportunities. Royston is religious and doesn't run his tour on his religious holidays, but if he's available, I'd recommend. Another possibility Thenford Grey. He is highly recommended on this site. Having talked to others on our cruise who used him, I would say he hits fewer off-the-beaten-track locations than Royston does, which is part of what we really liked about Royston's tour. He visited both the highlights and some out-of-the-way places. Fellow passengers who used Thenford said the beach they visited was so crowded, it was not enjoyable. We visited a totally deserted beach with Royston. We were literally the only ones there.

As for San Juan, I'd recommend visiting Old San Juan and taking in one of the forts. Or, if you have time, visit the rain forest. You'll have the opportunity to visit so many beaches on a cruise; it's nice to do something different.

St. Maarten is a tough one. We have not yet booked our shore excursion for that island for the same reason. Lots of choices. Having trouble choosing the right one.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by printingchick

I agree. That was ridiculous advice, and not helpful at all.

And I agree with you. I really like St. Kitts and always look forward to having the island on the itinerary. It is a beautiful island and our interactions with the locals have always been very positive.

I could not agree LESS with sr5242 and I hope you do not take that advice. St. Kitts is a LOVELY island. I've visited twice. Both times, after returning home and reviewing my photos, I found my St. Kitts photos to be the most beautiful.

I recommend doing an island tour on St. Kitts.

We used Thenford Grey for our fist time on the island and I agree with everything you wrote. Thenford, however, uses enclosed air conditioned vans and I really do prefer open air transportation.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Was a little concerned because he uses a van with no windows and no A/C. Thought we'd bake. That wasn't the case at all and the lack of windows made for GREAT photo opportunities.

:o I'm picturing a delivery van with no windows and wondering how you could have possibly enjoyed it, let alone had great photo opportunities. Then the penny dropped. :o

St. Kitts we did the railroad and enjoyed it. You also get to see the island with the bus ride. Look up St. Kitts Railroad, a 45 minute ride with drinks and cookies plus a singing choir. You ride to the terminal in buses and get a tour of the island. We thought the little villages were nice and folks waved all along the way. There was a guide with narration on the train.

St. Maarten you need to contact Bernard's Tours. He does a great tour and will take you to Orient beach, Moho beach for the airplanes (this is really exciting) and to the French side where you can eat lunch and shop. Good guides and nice AC vans.

San Juan has a free trolley that goes through old town and to both forts, hop on and hop off. You catch it about a block from the pier, anyone can give you directions or just Google it. We enjoyed doing this and would recommend it.

Any questions let me know. Linda

Edited by retdon

Here's the itinerary:

San Juan, PR - Arriving at 4PM - Afternoon Tapas and cocktails at El Convento

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - Arriving at 10AM - lunch with great food and views

http://www.belmond.com/la-samanna-st-martin/photo_tour

For the Lunch menu discussion (trellis or beach) contact the concierge directly.

concierge.las@belmond.com

Basseterre, St. Kitts - Arriving at 7AM - A visit to Kate Spencer Gallery to take home an original piece of Caribbean Art.

Aloha,

Going on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Independence of the Seas. I wanted to get your fabulous input as to some fun/interesting things to do at each port (i.e. attractions, dining, sightseeing).

Here's the itinerary:

San Juan, PR - Arriving at 4PM

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - Arriving at 10AM

Basseterre, St. Kitts - Arriving at 7AM

San Juan: Do not miss the sail in. Wonderful view of El Morro (San Juan National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)) and the waterfront on the port side as one enters the channel. Docking too late to spend any time in the forts. They close at 6pm. But a walk along the waterfront, through the old gate, and up to the approach field to El Morro is pleasant with lots to see.

St Maarten: If you like shopping, take a taxi or water taxi into Philipsburg and stroll along the shore side boardwalk and main shopping street one block in. Taxis are well regulated and you will find posted prices for taxi tours of the island. Orient beach is a favorite call. Gorgeous beach but its main claim to fame is a nudist area at one end. A visit to Marigot on the French side of the island offers a nice contrast with Philipsburg. Marigot is overlooked by Ft. St. Louis. If don't mind the climb the fort offers some great views of that part of the island.

St. Kitts: Lovely island. The Brimstone Hill fortress (http://brimstonehillfortress.org/) is a bit of a ride outside Basseterre. Well worth the scenic trip along the island coast. On a clear day views from the battlements are stunning.

Edited by broberts

We did the private Bernards tour in St. Maarten and loved it. You can set your own schedule and go where you want or go with their suggestions. We opted to stay 3 hours at Orient Beach and skip shopping. The French Bakery is a must!

As someone who just moved to the beautiful island of St Kitts, I can only say wonderful things about my new home!

Carambola is a great beach and our favorite. You can walk on the beach to shipwreck, which is a really fun bar/restaurant. You can sit at shipwrecks' beach which is just a thin strip of black sand with chairs, but you can snorkel there.

Someone mentioned other beaches, they are beautiful as well.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

St Kitts I enjoyed Romney Manor and Fort Brimstone. Fort Brimstone was one of my favorite historical excursions and the view is phenomenal. All 3 of your ports are good; I wouldn't sit on the ship at any of them. I live right near a year round beach so I don't care about going to the Carribbean to hit up a beach; San Juan I'd just walk old san juan and the fort there, St. Maarten we like touring around the island, getting food on the french side, watching the planes.

Not a dud stop in your itinerary.