whale watching tours

oceanbums

I would love to hear any tips or suggestions about whale watching tours in Cabo. We'll be there in Jan of 2018 and want to take an excursion but I don't know what to look for. I hear there are different size boats from zodiacs to pontoons, any pros or cons regarding which boat to take? We'll be in Cabo for 1 day from 11-7. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I did the Zodiac tour with the ship's excursion.

I have, literally, done whale watching all over the world but they have been from above water level. This was the first one I did at water level and I loved it.

Actually, loved it so much that I've booked it again when we return to Cabo next February.

Totally depends on what you're looking for. I've done whale watching from a zodiac, which enbles you to maneuver and reach whales more quickly, but provides a roughish ride (which I find fun), difficult photo-taking, and you're basically trapped in your seat for the duration. But you do get up close and personal: once a whale surface right under our raft, it's fluke maybe ten feet from the prow.

I've also been on the Eco-cat, a large catamaran. Still saw plenty of whales, boat was stable, was able to move around, get in the shade, use the restroom, and there were unlimited free drinks and line dancing on the way back to shore. (It's also available more cheaply than the zodiacs.)

The aforementioned Pez Gato seems midway...always well reviewed, but a smaller boat that's always looked crowded when I spotted it.

Your choice.

Each boat size seems to have a different viewing perspective and feel to it. I'll have to check them out. Not sure about the zodiac, I've never been on a small boat in the ocean and would also like to get some pictures. Thank you for the responses, they help a lot. This will be a new experience for us, so exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the other posters, sorry, I haven't been here in a while. I will check out pez gato, too. the zodiac is not for us and I don't want to be on a larger boat as it might be to crowded. maybe a catamaran might be a good choice. time to do some research...

• 1 month later...
Which port would be better for whale watching out of Cabo Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan. This is my first west coast cruise. My wife has heard that the whales are in migration during our trip (Feb, 26)

We returned 10 days ago from a Panama Canal cruise that included calls in all three of those Mexican ports. From the research I did in advance, it seemed pretty clear that Cabo offered the best chance to see whales, though it was also possible in PV. (Hadn't really come across anything about whale watching in Mazatlan.)

We booked whale watching tours both in Cabo and PV, with the same operator,: Whale Watch Cabo and Whale Watch Vallarta, which I'd read good things about. They were great to deal with via email to set thing up, and they turned out to be a terrific company; we were in small boats (maybe 25 feet long), and they limit it to 10 adults max. Very comfortable. And these boats had a cover. I enjoy zodiacs, but they are uncovered, and imho you really need some cover from the sun. No need for a zodiac here, just a small boat; there are restrictions on how close any boat can get to the whales.

We did see some whales in PV, but way more in Cabo, and it was our lucky day, too, as we saw a young humpback, maybe three weeks old, learning to breach from mama. Simply an amazing morning as the two whales breached quite a number of times.

Of those three ports, I'd pick Cabo. And again, I highly recommend these folks:

http://whalewatchcabo.com/

Baby%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x648_zpsnvizranu.jpg

Mama%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x896_zpsqwtv8q3c.jpg

Mama%20breaching%202%201024x615_zpsk46upm2q.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

We returned 10 days ago from a Panama Canal cruise that included calls in all three of those Mexican ports. From the research I did in advance, it seemed pretty clear that Cabo offered the best chance to see whales, though it was also possible in PV. (Hadn't really come across anything about whale watching in Mazatlan.)

We booked whale watching tours both in Cabo and PV, with the same operator,: Whale Watch Cabo and Whale Watch Vallarta, which I'd read good things about. They were great to deal with via email to set thing up, and they turned out to be a terrific company; we were in small boats (maybe 25 feet long), and they limit it to 10 adults max. Very comfortable. And these boats had a cover. I enjoy zodiacs, but they are uncovered, and imho you really need some cover from the sun. No need for a zodiac here, just a small boat; there are restrictions on how close any boat can get to the whales.

We did see some whales in PV, but way more in Cabo, and it was our lucky day, too, as we saw a young humpback, maybe three weeks old, learning to breach from mama. Simply an amazing morning as the two whales breached quite a number of times.

Of those three ports, I'd pick Cabo. And again, I highly recommend these folks:

http://whalewatchcabo.com/

Baby%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x648_zpsnvizranu.jpg

Mama%20Humpback%20breaching%201024x896_zpsqwtv8q3c.jpg

Mama%20breaching%202%201024x615_zpsk46upm2q.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Wow! Great photos!

We saw breaching on one of our Alaska cruises but nothing like this!

We're headed there in December and if we see something half as good as you did we'd be thrilled.