Train or BART to SF Pier

530SillyGirl

My husband and I sail to Hawaii every year on the Grand Princess. For the past 4 years we drove our car and parked at the parking lot on Francisco St for about $270, it's convenient but expensive. We live in Northeastern California about 350 miles from SF. We've been thinking of staying with friends in Roseville or Modesto and taking a train into SF. Or getting a ride to BART in Pleasanton and taking BART to the Embarcadero. Has anyone taken either the train or BART to SF? Any tips?

This is also well covered on the west coast departures board, but I have used BART to the cruise terminal on multiple occasions. You exit at the Embarcadero station which basically puts you in front of the Hyatt Regency hotel. If mobility is not an issue and the weather is fair it is then about a mile jaunt to pier 27. This is all along the Embarcadero and totally flat. If you have too much luggage or mobility issues then you can always get a cab from the stand at the hotel. I do not recommend the F streetcar which runs along the Embarcadero as it uses vintage rolling stock which is not luggage friendly.