swimwear question - first cruise for honeymoon

CruiseSkeptic85

So I have never been on a cruise. I love boats, but the idea of being on a floating petri dish, eating off of an e-coli bar (buffet) kind of freaks me out. I'm the real-life version of Sheldon Cooper, except cooler, I swear. I'm nervous none the less because the general idea of a cruise is not my idea of fun or romantic. My fiance didn't want to partake in my adventurous honeymoon idea of a remote Costa Rica getaway because she loves cruises and I'm more comfortable being uncomfortable than I am with her being uncomfortable.

She has only been on cruises with her family, where she has to bring her one and only modest bikini bottom. She usually wears extremely cheeky, some bordering on thong bikini bottoms. No complaints here, she's young, stunning and in great shape. I was however wondering if this is common on a cruise or if she should be packing her mom-approved bottom instead, and perhaps acquiring a few more. We don't like evil stares and offending people, but we live in South Florida where this swim attire is completely the norm in 2017 especially in our age range. I can't recall a beach or public pool we've been to since we've been together where she wasn't one of several in that type of swimwear. In fact at our local beaches, her type is a fair majority.

She hasn't been on a cruise in awhile and I've never been on one so neither of us know whether she'll feel welcome or shunned. We'll be on RCCL's Allure in late May of this year. We LOVE laying by the pool and even more on the beach, but will she be able to tan her cheeks or would you recommend she keep the cheeks covered?

You will see this type of bathing suit on the cruise but they will be in the vast minority. Remember, cruises usually have an older crowd so do expect some stares (and probably a lot of older men walking by repeatedly). I always bring a couple of suits because with it being so humid they don't dry out as easily but since you are from So Fl. you probably are used to the weather. My suits are probably a lot bigger than your fiancees bikini bottom so they might just generally take longer to dry.

Also, I predict a long an happy marriage if you know already that you would rather be uncomfortable than put your new bride in a situation where she would be. That's very sweet of you.

She will be fine. Have seen a lot of South American women wearing thong swimsuits.

I am sure you know, but just in case you hadn't thought of it, swimsuits of any type are fine poolside, but she must dress/wear a coverup to go inside to eat. This includes just running in to grab a cookie, ice cream, etc. Shoes and coverup are required.

If I get a vote I vote "Sun's out, Buns out!"

But you might see me with bruises on my arm from my wife punching me.

And I would also like to say I think you are on the right track worrying about her comfort above your own. It's a good way to start. I earned these bruises. ;)

She'll be fine, it is acceptable cruise attire, assuming she wears a top with the skimpy bottom. Unfortunately, it is also acceptable for men to wear skimpy bottoms.

Seen WAY too many Speedos in my cruises. No thanks...

So I have never been on a cruise. I love boats, but the idea of being on a floating petri dish, eating off of an e-coli bar (buffet) kind of freaks me out. I'm the real-life version of Sheldon Cooper, except cooler, I swear. I'm nervous none the less because the general idea of a cruise is not my idea of fun or romantic. My fiance didn't want to partake in my adventurous honeymoon idea of a remote Costa Rica getaway because she loves cruises and I'm more comfortable being uncomfortable than I am with her being uncomfortable.

She has only been on cruises with her family, where she has to bring her one and only modest bikini bottom. She usually wears extremely cheeky, some bordering on thong bikini bottoms. No complaints here, she's young, stunning and in great shape. I was however wondering if this is common on a cruise or if she should be packing her mom-approved bottom instead, and perhaps acquiring a few more. We don't like evil stares and offending people, but we live in South Florida where this swim attire is completely the norm in 2017 especially in our age range. I can't recall a beach or public pool we've been to since we've been together where she wasn't one of several in that type of swimwear. In fact at our local beaches, her type is a fair majority.

She hasn't been on a cruise in awhile and I've never been on one so neither of us know whether she'll feel welcome or shunned. We'll be on RCCL's Allure in late May of this year. We LOVE laying by the pool and even more on the beach, but will she be able to tan her cheeks or would you recommend she keep the cheeks covered?

Swimwear choices are a personal matter. Reactions to who's wearing what will vary widely, including possible concern from the folks who know how much future skin damage can result from over-exposure to the sun.

As for your germ issues: If there's ever a "next" cruise for you and "food safety" (as well as quality) remain a priority, consider cruise lines where passengers are not allowed to self-serve casual dining (e.g., buffet) food. On their ships, galley personnel serve you the "buffet" food cafeteria-style including items like lobster and steaks cooked "a la minute."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest if your wife wishes to wear her thong bikini to the beach, it is fine, but wear a non-transparent coverup over it when exiting and re-boarding the ship so as not to attract inappropriate attention from male crew members and guests. Onboard, she can wear her bikini at the pool but should also have a non-transparent coverup for the elevator, buffet and other areas of the ship she might travel to during the day when she is wearing her bikini.

You didn't ask about this but since you state this is your honeymoon and your first cruise, and your fiance has only cruised with her family, be sure to register her under her MAIDEN name. I have read elsewhere on this board that the passenger's travel name must match the passenger's ID exactly, and odds are she will not have time to have her driver's license reissued under her married name (assuming she intends to change it), much less get a passport reissued. Just taking along your marriage certificate is NOT adequate. You don't want to have a technicality keep you from your honeymoon cruise!

Why not take both? If she goes to a beach, I'm sure the thong will be fine. At the pool, you'll see very few thongs and it might make her uncomfortable so have the bottom with a bit more coverage, just in case. Since swimsuits don't take up much space, she should have plenty of room for choices. As for the petri dish, you would probably be eating in just as healthy and germ free place on a cruise ship as in a land based vacation in Costa Rica. You have the option to eat in the main dining room rather than the buffet for meals on days at sea and you'll probably be eating at a restaurant in the ports during the day so you have the ability to limit your "exposure" to a buffet/germ free environment greatly. What guarantee do you have when eating at a restaurant in port that they are more sanitary than the ship? The ship is inspected, just like a restaurant in the U.S. for health violations. We've been on 15-16 cruises and never gotten sick from the buffet. The passengers sort of "self-police" the buffet and if they see someone touch the food with their bare hands, or toss the tongs back into the food after handling them, they report it and the entire dish is immediately removed and dumped. The crew are excellent in policing the sanitary conditions too. It's in their best interest not to have an outbreak of norovirus on the ship. They don't even allow passengers to fill their water bottles by putting them under the spigot anymore.They are constantly cleaning. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome to CC, and welcome to married life. You seem to be on the right path to a life long marriage ;)

Thanks for all the great feedback! As for the maiden name issue, the individual that helped me book the cruise made sure to cover that for me. I never would have thought of that.

The thing about buffets is that regular buffets freak me out, a buffet with 3000 hands in it every day is even more frightening to me LOL. I'm sure I'll do fine.

I have more questions but they're unrelated so I'll ask them in new threads. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the great feedback! As for the maiden name issue, the individual that helped me book the cruise made sure to cover that for me. I never would have thought of that.

The thing about buffets is that regular buffets freak me out, a buffet with 3000 hands in it every day is even more frightening to me LOL. I'm sure I'll do fine.

I have more questions but they're unrelated so I'll ask them in new threads. Thanks again!

Well, you know that you never have to actually eat from the buffet, right? The dining room, where you order off the menu is open for dinner ever night and breakfast and lunch on sea days. Lunches on port days often end up being eaten off the ship. And you can always just get room service for breakfast.

Plus most ships anymore have an handful of alternative non-buffet options, some complimentary and some not. But there are tons of choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

If I get a vote I vote "Sun's out, Buns out!"

But you might see me with bruises on my arm from my wife punching me.

And I would also like to say I think you are on the right track worrying about her comfort Sabove your own. It's a good way to start. I earned these bruises. ;)

She won't be youung and gorgeouus forever. Let her enhoy her pretty youth and wear her itty bikini. and, you, enjoy seeing her wear it. too. :) YOU WILL see many women in b ikinis a tfhe ship's pool and on the beaches.

Definitely, you will do fine. Those 3,000 will not eat at the same time and at the same dining venue.

She ill be fine in her bottom- which ever she (and you) decide to wear.

I have seen 300 LB. woman wearing bikinis and have to hand it to them. They don't care what others think, they just want the sun and to relax. I have also seen woman without tops in very out of the way sunny spots. (Carnival used to have a topless deck with no camera allowed!)

Have her take both bottoms and decide how she wants to be comfortable!

My answer is that if you have it and both of you are comfortable with what she wants to wear - flaunt it. It is nobody's business what you do.

DON

The real petri dish is any hot tub. Once saw a dad dipping the diapered kiddo in and out like a tea bag. Haven't been in one since. On the Harmony last week, they have hand washing sinks at the entry to the Windjammer buffet.

All sorts of body shapes and swimwear seen, but a micro bikini would not be appropriate IMO.