Robbed in Buenos Aires

Howard F

prior to boarding celebrity infinity in Buenos Aires my friend and i were sprayed unknowingly from behind by an argentine couple with chicken grease while walking on a street. The couple approached us with water and napkins pretending to be helpful and then subsequently pickpocketed me.

While on the ship every passenger received a letter from the Captain warning everyone about the high crime rate and increased robberies.

With this in mind, why do cruise lines continue to use Buenos Aires as a destination? I recall Mazatlan in Mexico was removed from cruise destinations for a period of time due to high crime against tourists.

Not much different than some other cities in Europe.

This type of crime, pick pocketing is not uncommon. Personal crime is everywhere. The big differerence is that it tends not to be physically violent. Big differerence from the US.

We have been picked in Rome and in Athens. Nothing much, less than $20 each time because of how we carry our valuables. We are just finishing up a months travel in Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. Never felt unsafe at any time. You do however, always need to be aware of your surroundings when travelling.

Even at home we see women leaving their purses/wallets unattended in carts at Costco as they rush over to get some free samples.

People get robbed in NYC, in Hong Kong, in Rome, in Miami. Should cruiselines stop going to those places?

It's awful that you got robbed which is why we always tell folks to keep their valuables tucked safely away and always be aware of your surroundings.

At least you got sprayed with chicken grease and not what happened to Kim's brother!

I always chuckle when someone on CC suggests that men carry their wallet in a front pocket. One "brush by" from that little kid with bandaged fingers and his/her hidden razor blade opens that pocket bottom in a flash. Wallet drops out and you are none the wiser until they're long gone with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you not know that you would be in buenos aires before you booked the cruise? Sorry, but at the end of the day you are free to travel to any country you can get a visa to. It's up to you to evaluate whether or not going there is a good idea. Next time stick with a Caribbean cruise out of Miami but there are plenty of people who would like to travel other places and frankly i don't think the cruise lines have any responsibility canceling ports that might have crime. Especially since that would be all of them, These things happen everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are some theft resistant bags available now. I have a backpack that deters would be thieves. Many purses now are theft resistant, too. Just make sure to use the safety devices. I got lazy last summer while in London and a young man told me my backpack was wide open. Fortunately, all my valuables were in my purse in front of me. My backpack had only my book and some toiletries. Apparently the thief was not into reading or kleenex because nothing was taken. My bad, though, to not have latched up the backpack in the first place. I learned a lesson without actually suffering for the lesson.

Throwing food items at you and then some "kind" person coming to help you is quite common in BA. It has never happened to me, I would keep walking.

A few years ago a delightful older lady had this happen to her in BA. She was from mid west US, just like everyone's idea of a grandma. Very trusting, and not well travelled. Someone threw mustard at her husband, she immediately opened her bag to get a handkerchief to wipe it off, a car pulled up beside them, grabbed her bag off the ground where she had left it and sped off. She had her passport, precious jewellery, some from her mother in there. She could only join the cruise because the Us embassy were so helpful in getting her a new passport.

In Italy on trains beware of someone telling you that you are in the wrong carriage, when you are distracted checking tickets, their companion relieves you of your wallet, purse etc

It is sad we just can't travel and enjoy. Be alert, don't wear your good jewellery on the streets, if you feel uncomfortable anywhere move away.

I have looked into wearing a vest (like a khaki safari type vest, but fun colors to match my tops, etc.) that has pockets on the inside and the entire vest zips in the front. I am currently looking at "theft-proof" articles of clothing in which my family and I can put our IDs and money inside. The only thing that I will have relatively exposed is my camera. I intend to carry my camera bag across my chest.. hopefully having it in front of me will be sufficient enough to make me aware of someone trying to steal that bag.

What a shame that we have to resort to these tactics.

I recall traveling once with a fellow whose wife carried a "decoy bag", draped loosely over her shoulder. She put some tissues and papers to make it bulge a bit and give it some weight. Their theory was to give the thief an easier target than trying for their pockets. Sorta like the fake factory camouflage to fool enemy bombers into dropping onto vacant fields.

They said that they had lost one to a thief, but hadn't been robbed of anything else. Your guess as to whether it's a good idea or a bad one, but it's an interesting concept in the least.

Pick pocking is a occupation in much of the world. They do not just work on tourist but locals as well. We have never been hit and are not overly cautious but observant to our surroundings and have cross street to avoid apparent problems, and never wear anything expensive when we travel. You do not have to hold your purse or back pack with a iron grip LOL.

I remember being in Rio, I had a cheap but good looking watch on and the first time we met the tour guide she said do not wear it out side of the hotel, "you will be robbed"

Have done many trips, some in strange places by myself. Sometimes one has to carry a decent amount of $$. I always wear a money belt low underneath undies with zipper turned to skin, under some kind of jeans Never been violated ..Had my backpack opened on Paris subway, only jacket and umbrella inside, nothing taken .On cruises I leave anything of value except a few dollars in room safe.

I have looked into wearing a vest (like a khaki safari type vest, but fun colors to match my tops, etc.) that has pockets on the inside and the entire vest zips in the front. I am currently looking at "theft-proof" articles of clothing in which my family and I can put our IDs and money inside. The only thing that I will have relatively exposed is my camera. I intend to carry my camera bag across my chest.. hopefully having it in front of me will be sufficient enough to make me aware of someone trying to steal that bag.

What a shame that we have to resort to these tactics.

I use one of these Spider belt holsters - http://spiderholster.com/black-widow/. Pretty hard to steal your camera if it is handing from your belt. It also keeps your hands free and there is nothing around your neck.

DON

prior to boarding celebrity infinity in Buenos Aires my friend and i were sprayed unknowingly from behind by an argentine couple with chicken grease while walking on a street. The couple approached us with water and napkins pretending to be helpful and then subsequently pickpocketed me.

While on the ship every passenger received a letter from the Captain warning everyone about the high crime rate and increased robberies.

With this in mind, why do cruise lines continue to use Buenos Aires as a destination? I recall Mazatlan in Mexico was removed from cruise destinations for a period of time due to high crime against tourists.

Sorry that happened to you. Glad you were not hurt.

Some cruise lines stopped visiting St. Croix ( U.S. V.I) for years bcause o f high crime against tourists.