Amtrak trains

Mary49

You realize of course that the train takes 30+ hours to reach NOLA. But I think the Amtrak station is still in the Warehouse District so only a short taxi ride to the port. Not sure if there is really any savings versus flying. But if you have the time nice adventure. At one time you could stop in any of the major city stops and then get back on board the next train (probably the next day similar time). So get a sleeping berth.

While I haven't done it from Chicago I have done it from Memphis and found it to be a blast. You would have to come in at least a day in advance as I don't think the train gets in until 3:00. You wouldn't have time to get luggage and get to the port in time. Coming back it leaves about 1:00. I really did like it as it was something different.

We took Amtrak from Houston to LA. It took about 36 hours, the train ran on time, and we had a blast. We got a bedroom which included a bathroom with shower and all meals. On the longer routes, Amtrak is more of a vacation than transportation. It's similar to a sea day on a cruise ship only you need to provide your own entertainment. We met a lot of interesting people, including a woman who had punctured a lung in a car wreck while visiting her sister and couldn't fly. The scenery can be very interesting. I really want to do a trip from either San Francisco or Settle to Chicago through the Rockies. Amtrak doesn't compete on time or price (if you book a bed) with the airlines, but it has its place and fans.

My wife and I no longer want to fly...we use Amtrak as our preferred transportation now. Two cruises by train as well as other trips...Grand Canyon, Washington DC, Navy Reunions, etc.. Later this year it will be Glacier National Park by train.

We budget the time including including arriving at the cruise port a day early into our vacation, sit back and relax.

The train is part of the vacation, not just a way to get there! Our Amtrak travel is in sleeper accommodations and paid mostly with points from the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.

We had an interesting trip on Amtrak. We live on the NC coast and wanted to take a 14 day cruise on NCL's Majesty but the ship left from Philadelphia and ended in Charleston, SC ! Our Cruise buddies from MI were joining us. My husband looked at all the ways to get to Philly from Charleston SC, where our car would be.

For $75@ we took Amtrak. We went to Charleston two days before and got subs for lunch and KFC for dinner the next day. At 10 AM the next day we got on Amtrak in Charleston and headed to Philly. We got there, as scheduled, at 10:30PM.

We took a cab to our hotel and the next morning got on the ship.

Amtrak was fantastic! Each seat was better than a 1st class airline plane. There was a LOT of room between seats. There was a car for hamburgers/hot dogs, etc. with booths to eat in but we had our meals.

We have looked into Amtrak for FL but that just doesn't work for us. So, we keep driving to a cruise.

We had an interesting trip on Amtrak. We live on the NC coast and wanted to take a 14 day cruise on NCL's Majesty but the ship left from Philadelphia and ended in Charleston, SC ! Our Cruise buddies from MI were joining us. My husband looked at all the ways to get to Philly from Charleston SC, where our car would be.

For $75@ we took Amtrak. We went to Charleston tow days before and got subs for lunch and KFC for dinner the next day. At 10 AM the next day we got on Amtrak in Charleston and headed to Philly. We got there, as scheduled, at 10:30PM.

WE took a cab to our hotel and the next morning got on the ship.

Amtrak was fantastic! Each seat was better than a 1st class airline plane. There was a car for hamburgers/hot dogs, etc. with booths to eat in but we had our meals.

We have looked into Amtrak for FL but that just doesn't work for us. So, we keep driving to a cruise.

Amtrak, seriously needs to look at Europe rail system. The trains are fast, on time, inexpensive, and very comfortable. Our rail system is antiquated and inefficient.

well the railroads were built to transport CARGO, not people. so it is efficient, just not for passenger trains. Amtrak is always the first train bumped in favor of the coal cars.

for the same price, or less, you can fly in a couple of hours versus a day plus on a train.

We're taking Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle this summer for the start of our Alaskan cruise. I built in time by arriving Friday for a Sunday sailing. We're taking the train back after the cruise. We'll have about 8 hours to kill between leaving the ship and departure of the train back to Chicago.

We're first driving from Orlando to Chicago to visit family. In one week we'll have traveled from Florida to Alaska without flying.

Don

My husband and I have taken Amtrak to and from Reno NV to L.A. It's not the most convenient way to travel but much more relaxing if you have the time. As a previous poster stated, it's part of the vacation. We'll be taking the train again this coming October to San Francisco for a round trip cruise to Hawaii. Allow plenty of time then sit back in the large comfortable seats and enjoy.

We've done Amtrak Miami to New York which, of, course is an overnight trip. DH and I enjoyed it as it was something totally different. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. We have also done Washington to Boston during autumn (sorry, for Americans I mean Fall) which provided spectacular scenery which we would have missed if we had taken a plane.

Amtrak trains are notorious for delays. That being said, please make sure you book a train that arrives a day early if you go this route.

Absolutely great advice! You do not want to arrive at your port of embarkation on the day that you sail.

We have taken numerous trips on Amtrak over the years, many overnight, and have enjoyed every one of them. We don't use Amtrak as a from of transportation. Instead, we use it for an adventure, for relaxing and watching the scenery go by. Much like you can go between Europe and the US by plane in a few hours or you can go by passenger ship in a few days, a train ride is more for the enjoyment of it. Just like transatlantic travel, one is for expediency, not for comfort, while the other is for comfort, not expediency.

If you have the time, go with Amtrak. When considered part of your vacation, it can be quite enjoyable and rewarding. But do listen to the advice of several posters and plan to arrive a day early. Amtrak could be delayed for several hours due to situations beyond their control, such as someone trying to beat the train at a street crossing and getting hit.

On a long trip, going Amtrak only makes sense if you see it as part of your vacation. However, on a shorter run - say New York to Boston, or Stamford, CT to Washington or to Baltimore (as we plan to for a cruise from Baltimore), Amtrak really makes sense. It is quicker than flying when you crank in getting to the airport, checking in, leaving time for delays, etc. it is also generally less expensive and certainly more comfortable than flying.

well the railroads were built to transport CARGO, not people. so it is efficient, just not for passenger trains. Amtrak is always the first train bumped in favor of the coal cars.

Which is why the tracks are bumpy and the trains can't go very fast. In addition, European trains are heavily subsidized by the governments. Try getting an Amtrak subsidy through Congress.