world cruise 2015

silver_traveller

We are new to cruising in fact we have never been on a ship before but after winning some (quite a lot) dollars my travel agent recommened that we spend some time on the sea.

I only found this web site recently but am still very confused as to what u do all day. My life is very set in routine cows need milked crops need looking after so this is a change. we are on the boat for all 115 nights but i am usually in bed by 9 pm at home and never eat after 630

you thoughts would be most welcome

silver_traveller

ps do you have to wear a suit as i only have one and its a bit old

I'd start by getting a new travel agent.

I'm surprised you've spent your lottery winnings this way. Most farmers who win millions vow to keep farming until it is gone!

(Though I suspect we are being trolled.)

If you don't know what you are going to do with yourself when left to your own devices with no responsibilities (not even hanging up a towel when you are done with it) you are in for an interesting time of it.

Edited by CanadianKate

Go enjoy & you'll surely find a pace, activities and bed time that suits you. I only did a part of a wc on Cunard several years ago - the people were interesting & fun and the staff onboard treated me very well.( I have not sailed on Silversea but am now looking to book).

I always bring my kindle so I have lots to read & an IPOD for music. The open dining on Silversea will allow you to eat whenever you want along w/ snacks and room service. As far as clothing there is a laundry onboard to take care of that. There was a man onboard a cruise years ago that only brought a blazer & wore the same pants and shirt & blazer every night & no one evr really knew - he was clean & pressed everye time I saw him.

If you are inly to do this once you are doing top shelf......also there is nothing so beautiful as being at sea .seeing the stars, the freshest of air and feeling like a baby again when being rocked to sleep....a walk a round the deck w/ your favorite beverage is a wonderful way to end any day.

Your cows will be fine & happy to see you on your return & will love to hear of your adventures & visit to far off lands.....Full moon & smooth seas to you & Bon Voyage!

On World Cruise 2014, we met a lovely person who had never cruised before but who was doing the full world cruise.

So, while I could never take the plunge like that, there are people who are far more adventuresome than me and who take a "what doesn't kill me will make great fodder for my biography" view of life. Not me. Personally, 28 days is my limit on the ship. So I just do segments of WCs. But I love those segments because the passengers are usually a very interesting mix - more travelers than tourists.

Travel agents make a very high commission selling cruises (compared to plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc.). And a travel agent would make a huge commission on selling a world cruise. If you haven't made your final payment, you might want to do a bit more research before committing to an entire world cruise.

You might also want to get a new travel agent who will listen to your needs and structure a nice holiday for you based on your interests. Maybe look at organizations such as Abercrombie & Kent and Cox & Kings in the UK to structure something for you.

For example, you might enjoy the Norwegian Fjords cruise...lots of outdoor activities, and they actually had an excursion to an organic dairy farm in the mountains that was beautiful. Or how about a safari?

I can tell you we have friends who used to be in the dairy business, recently retired, and love being on cruises. They enjoy not having the structured routine they used to. And that is what people like about cruises...seeing the world, unpacking once, relaxing, reading, socializing, and not thinking about the details of where to go for dinner, not having to make dinner reservations, etc.

Your email and post is quite endearing and sweet. :) Assuming you are a real person and not playing with people on this forum, I am sure you will receive lots of advice...probably more than you want!!! :D

If you never eat after 630 PM you are in trouble. The restaurants and dining areas open at 7PM for dinner on Silversea.

At home, I never eat after 6:30 and I never dine, I eat. I manage just fine. At 6 p.m. we have an order of food sent to the room to munch on while we dress for dinner. I have a selection of cut veggies and my husband orders sashimi.

SS dinner time is a huge part of the entertainment on the ship. But instead of being entertained by professionals, you spend your time in fascinating conversation with people with a vast array of backgrounds. All while enjoying delightful food and drink served in style.

On Silversea, my life is nothing like my life at home. That I enjoy. Wouldn't want to live the SS way all the time but for a few weeks a year, it is great!

Edited by CanadianKate

hi all from wc 2015

dont know if i should add here or start a new thread but will add a few facts

There are 240 pax on ship 140 or so going all the way many of which are returns

Yes there are some people who are 1st timers and going all the way.

crew are a mixture of very new and the wonderful usual friends we have met over the years who bring service second too none

Fernando missed has flight in London and only arrived 1 hour before sailing.

Gilbet did not make it he will join at the next port.

Changes

afternoon tea now in the terraace a terrible terrible decision.

breakfast on deck removed

shops desperate for bussiness

pool deck gets smaller but the addition of man making shoes whos stand takes up a lovly shaded spot.

only get 600 mins per sector better shut up now

joe````-90a

hi all from wc 2015

dont know if i should add here or start a new thread but will add a few facts

There are 240 pax on ship 140 or so going all the way many of which are returns

Yes there are some people who are 1st timers and going all the way.

crew are a mixture of very new and the wonderful usual friends we have met over the years who bring service second too none

joe````-90a

Appreciate so much, Joe, your update and details. YES, would suggest starting a new thread and to keep posting, sharing these aspects for your wonderful adventure.

We were originally scheduled to be going on the Silver Whisper from Mombasa/Kenya to Cape Town, but the Central Africa health/safety questions caused us to shift to a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo on the Silver Cloud. Hope to do South Africa in early 2016 on the Silver Cloud.

Keep up the hard "work" with your sailing. Will be enjoying your future posts.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 168,056 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

hi all from wc 2015

breakfast on deck removed

shops desperate for bussiness

pool deck gets smaller but the addition of man making shoes whos stand takes up a lovly shaded spot.

joe````-90a

240 passengers on a ship that carries ~ 380 is not a great load. Are people booking away from SS?

Some questions:

Do you mean that the continental breakfast on the pool deck is no longer available? Is this because of bad weather at the moment or is this a longterm decision? I very much enjoyed having juice, coffee, and some fresh fruit on deck in the morning without the busyness of Terrace restaurant or formality of MDR.

Are the shops the new/improved shops with very high end merchandise or the older SS shops with a nice variety of goods?

Surely you are not saying that SS has brought a shoemaker on board, who is selling his wares on the pool deck? Please clarify. If I correctly understand you, the commercialization of SS has gone a step too far.

Edited by Observer

We were on the Whisper Amazon Cruise last month. The shoemaker is an on board making expensive ladies sandals. It looked as though he was doing quite a brisk business. As Joe said, the shops; not so much.

We were on the Whisper Amazon Cruise last month. The shoemaker is an on board making expensive ladies sandals. It looked as though he was doing quite a brisk business. As Joe said, the shops; not so much.

Cobblers? And those shops. Bin them. I wish they'd go "up market" and swap all that space for a Macdonalds with suite service delivery, I'd be back. :D

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Surely you are not saying that SS has brought a shoemaker on board, who is selling his wares on the pool deck? Please clarify. If I correctly understand you, the commercialization of SS has gone a step too far.

The 'cobbler' arrived on the Shadow in Valparaiso on Nov 20th last year, initially set up on the outside of deck 8 in a shady spot, but soon banished inside of deck 8 due to cold weather. Wherever he came from his English was poor and apart from selling a few pairs at the begining of the voyage he made no sales for the last 10 days.

This is yet another bad move by SS management.

As you can see business was very slow:

IMAG2771.jpg.9d07137c39ecf687789d607e5989c3a2.jpg

Thanks for the update Joe. We'll be joining you In Sydney. Is Oliver tending bar?

I have to agree with others about the cobbler. Not something I'd expect on any cruiseline,let alone SS. Anyway, hope you have smooth sailing ahead.

Forgive the question .... is this the long-term serving Oliver with the impish almost cheeky grin? Been around for many years? I thought he had been promoted and was in management.