Dining Suggestions - Sydney

We stayed at the Marriott near the Quay. Right around the corner was a fabulous creperie called Four Frogs. Great menu for both sweet and savory crepes. There are also several great restaurants around the Quay. We also enjoyed a beer and fish and chips at the Lord Nelson's Pub near The Rocks. Be sure to check thier time for serving food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also prepare for some sticker shock, Sydney isn't cheap.

Indeed Mr Gut $50 for a steak is not uncommon in ye olde Sydney Town, particularly around the tourist areas - The Rocks and Darling Harbour at night. Some decent lunchtime deals around Cockle Bay, Baranagaroo, Darling Harbour. City Extra at Circular Quay opposite the ferries is a big place and reasonable price and standard.

Personally I patronise the Clubs, although not many of them left in the Sydney CBD these days.:loudcry:

Indeed Mr Gut $50 for a steak is not uncommon in ye olde Sydney Town, particularly around the tourist areas - The Rocks and Darling Harbour at night. Some decent lunchtime deals around Cockle Bay, Baranagaroo, Darling Harbour. City Extra at Circular Quay opposite the ferries is a big place and reasonable price and standard.

Personally I patronise the Clubs, although not many of them left in the Sydney CBD these days.:loudcry:

Yeah not sure where any clubs are now other than the leagues, used to go to City of Sydney RSL a bit, back in the day.

NSW leagues still does a good feed, (currently undergoing renovations but be back soon I believe).

Don't overlook yea old pub lunch either, some good meals to be had at some.

A bit of a fan of Burgers and Ribs at the Rocks, but not exactly foodie territory there just a good lunch.

We are foodies and would appreciate recommendations for some great, moderately priced, casual dining venues in Sydney.

Thanks!

Denise

If you like seafood, Sydney has some of the best and freshest in the world and plenty of casual dining venues. Watsons Bay is a popular spot with three different levels of seafood dining available. You can take a ferry or water taxi from the Quay for takeaway fish and chips, pub fare or fine al fresco seafood meals. A ferry ride from the Quay to Manly will get you a beach day and beachfront dining in heaps of cafes serving a wide range of cuisines.

If you like seafood, Sydney has some of the best and freshest in the world and plenty of casual dining venues. Watsons Bay is a popular spot with three different levels of seafood dining available. You can take a ferry or water taxi from the Quay for takeaway fish and chips, pub fare or fine al fresco seafood meals. A ferry ride from the Quay to Manly will get you a beach day and beachfront dining in heaps of cafes serving a wide range of cuisines.

I second the seafood and a ferry ride to Watson's Bay tops it off.

We are foodies and would appreciate recommendations for some great, moderately priced, casual dining venues in Sydney.

Thanks!

Denise

Hi Denise.

Take a look online at Barangaroo - it's known as The Streets of Barangaroo and is located not too far from Circular Quay, on the edge of the water. Easiest way to get there is a ferry trip from Circular Quay around or a short taxi ride. Lots of great dining venues to choose from. Casual to higher end and in between.

Another lovely spot by the water is at Pier One Sydney, The Kerrigan. Casual eats and a terrific bar in a lovely setting. Moderately priced.

In my local's opinion, you're best off avoiding The Rocks for dining. Plenty of better options a short distance away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Barangaroo is the new Sydney dining hotspot. Lots of choice there, some cheap, some expensive. Check the restaurants in the streets behind the waterfront too.

If you don't mind one expensive restaurant, I recommend the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar on the waters edge at Circular Quay (Opera House side). They have excellent seafood. It's lovely sitting there in the evening watching all the ferries bustling about.

If you like Asian food there are some interesting little restaurants in World Square, and there is also a Din Tai Fung there - part of the famous Taiwanese dumpling chain. They make the best soup dumplings ever.

Go over to Manly by ferry late one afternoon, have a walk around and have dinner there. There are good cheap eateries on the Ocean side. The Manly Wharf pub, in the harbour side, is also good as are some of the more expensive restaurants around the ferry wharf. Then catch the ferry back once it's dark and enjoy the lights of Sydney.

I second the seafood and a ferry ride to Watson's Bay tops it off.

i will third it been there its lovely as

dont go to superbowl chinese in china town it is 100% rubbish

Hingara chinese is a different story it is awesome

lots of great places in the Rocks too

Update with your preferences and I'm sure we can be more specific.

One of my favourites is Contrabando - a little latin place a couple blocks from Circular Quay. It's far enough away that it can't just rely on passing tourists and street appeal, and it's actually deliberately an underground place.

Thai town is vaguely surrounding the Capitol Theatre and there are plenty of mid priced thai eateries with fantastic food.

Some of my favourite sushi would be sushi hotaru at the Galleries, though there are some fantastic Japanese places around Sydney including ones that are more foodie/upmarket fare.

Farmhouse at Kings Cross is definitely foodie fare. A little pricier but every food lover I've known to go there has loved it.

There is so much good food in Sydney. I'm surprised every time!

WOW! Some fantastic recommendations! Thanks to all.

We are foodies and enjoy all kinds of food. We are looking for typical Aussie cuisine, in casual, moderately priced places, frequented by locals rather than touristy. Seafood usually preferred over steak, burgers. We also enjoy pubs and fish and chips. Will definitely try meat pies.

Our hotel is located in Circular Quay

Thanks, again. I really appreciate all the input!

Denise

Yes, Barangaroo is the new Sydney dining hotspot. Lots of choice there, some cheap, some expensive. Check the restaurants in the streets behind the waterfront too.

If you don't mind one expensive restaurant, I recommend the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar on the waters edge at Circular Quay (Opera House side). They have excellent seafood. It's lovely sitting there in the evening watching all the ferries bustling about.

If you like Asian food there are some interesting little restaurants in World Square, and there is also a Din Tai Fung there - part of the famous Taiwanese dumpling chain. They make the best soup dumplings ever.

Go over to Manly by ferry late one afternoon, have a walk around and have dinner there. There are good cheap eateries on the Ocean side. The Manly Wharf pub, in the harbour side, is also good as are some of the more expensive restaurants around the ferry wharf. Then catch the ferry back once it's dark and enjoy the lights of Sydney.

We have Din Tai Fung here in So CA - LOVE IT! Thank you for your suggestions!

WOW! Some fantastic recommendations! Thanks to all.We are foodies and enjoy all kinds of food. We are looking for typical Aussie cuisine, in casual, moderately priced places, frequented by locals rather than touristy. Seafood usually preferred over steak, burgers. We also enjoy pubs and fish and chips. Will definitely try meat pies.Our hotel is located in Circular Quay

Thanks, again. I really appreciate all the input!

Denise

Sydney Fish Market is well worth a visit for lunch if you are into seafood and casual dining .

http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/at-the-market/retailers

We have Din Tai Fung here in So CA - LOVE IT! Thank you for your suggestions!

There is also a Din Tai Fung outlet in the food court of Westfield Sydney, and a couple more in the suburbs.

Actually, if you like Asian food then catch a train to Chatswood. There is a restaurant precinct, The District, above the Chatswood railway station that has some amazing Asian food. We love the ramen restaurant, Ippudo, and the Thai restaurant, Chum Tang, has some very authentic Thai dishes. There is a Tim Ho Wan restaurant there as well but it's not one of our favourites - we prefer our local Din Tai Fung in the Westfield Chatswood. Chatswood is becoming an Asian Foodie destination - I call it "Little Singapore" although it doesn't have enough shopping malls yet to really deserve that name, but it does have good food and, like Singapore, it's often found in food courts.

I'm making notes :) One of my friends is flying over from the US in November and I'm flying down to meet her in Sydney before she comes up here to the beautiful Whitsundays. She has booked 4 nights at the Oaks Goldsboro as a time share exchange, which is supposed to be a few blocks from Darling Harbour.

I have to put together a list of things to do and places to see and I can see a trip on the ferry to Manly might be on the cards. I don't want to hijack this thread but are any other suggestions? I think there is a train station just around the corner from the apartments which we will use to get around Sydney as best we can.

There is also a Din Tai Fung outlet in the food court of Westfield Sydney, and a couple more in the suburbs.

Actually, if you like Asian food then catch a train to Chatswood. There is a restaurant precinct, The District, above the Chatswood railway station that has some amazing Asian food. We love the ramen restaurant, Ippudo, and the Thai restaurant, Chum Tang, has some very authentic Thai dishes. There is a Tim Ho Wan restaurant there as well but it's not one of our favourites - we prefer our local Din Tai Fung in the Westfield Chatswood. Chatswood is becoming an Asian Foodie destination - I call it "Little Singapore" although it doesn't have enough shopping malls yet to really deserve that name, but it does have good food and, like Singapore, it's often found in food courts.

Yes don't forget the food courts. For a cheaper less formal option, some are very good, but you also have the major options

I'm making notes :) One of my friends is flying over from the US in November and I'm flying down to meet her in Sydney before she comes up here to the beautiful Whitsundays. She has booked 4 nights at the Oaks Goldsboro as a time share exchange, which is supposed to be a few blocks from Darling Harbour.

I have to put together a list of things to do and places to see and I can see a trip on the ferry to Manly might be on the cards. I don't want to hijack this thread but are any other suggestions? I think there is a train station just around the corner from the apartments which we will use to get around Sydney as best we can.

I think the Oaks is on "the other side" of darling harbour, so no train but I "Think" there is a light rail station not far.

My biggest suggestion for a visitor is always the zoo, great views, ferry trip, see some native animals.